Ron's Mess

Wilky

post-1477-0-34209800-1328320657_thumb.jpg Some photos of my modified Revell's Hawaiian Pilot still in progress.

Ron W.

Edited by Wilky

How do you post more than one photo? I uploaded one photo, used 380.18K and only have 119.82 K left.

Thanks,

Ron W.

Thanks Mark. I signed up for Photobucket, but now I can't figure out how to get the photos here.

Well, I got these photos here by copying from Photobucket and pasting them here.

Hi, Ron,

Are you building the Hawaiian Pilot or some other ship on the same hull? I tried to build that ship as a teenager many decades ago. That was my first and last attempt to rig the cargo booms with black sewing machine thread. The tube glue just didn't harden fast enough to prevent the thread from falling off the simulated pulleys on the booms.

I notice you have changed the railings and found a way to cover the horizontal seam through the middle of the portholes on each deck level. Did that ship really have a red deck?

I purchased the recent reissue but have not started it. My original build is in a box somewhere in my garage very much the worse for wear after 50 years.

Ed

On the toolbar above the text area on the post screen there is a button marked "Image" that you use to post a picture in your post at the cursor location. This will open a URL link box into which you enter the URL for your photo. It will look something like this: http://i999.photobucket.com/albums/aa222/yourloginnamefor photobucket/photoname.jpg

Look at one of your photo labels after you upload a picture to Photobucket for the exact information. You need to use the lower case "i" ahead of the three numbers that are unique to you. The two letters and three numbers are unique to you. Your login name to Photobucket appears in the string. The photo name is whatever you gave the photo before you uploaded it from your computer (follow upper and lower case exactly and omit space bars. You MUST append the .jpg to make it work.

You can place multiple pictures in the same post without worrying about the 500k limit for copied photos.

Thanks Ed for the help with Photobucket. This is the Hawaiian Pilot. I couldn't find any info specific on the decks for the Hawaiian Pilot, but I did find that many ships did use this color scheme and the instructions for the kit show this. I toned down the red with some orange ( trying to make it look more like red lead ). I then gave it a wash with thinner to wear it down. The seams on the superstructure took a little doing. I first cleaned the area with 70% alcohol. 90% seems to attack plastic. I used regular testor's putty. I made sanding sticks, backed on wood that wouldn't flex, just wide enough to fit between the levels. Sanding was the pain in the butt.You have to ensure that the stick is flat on the bulkhead and go slow, as it real easy to mess up the corners. I am using photoetch and a lot of scratch building on this project. Such as, I replaced all the stanchions between the levels with brass rod that was the correct scale diameter. The kit's was way oversized. Added brake wheels to the anchor windlass, replaced the yard on the radar mast with thinner brass rod, etc. I also added scratch built open and closed chocks. I used 2 part epoxy to secure them to the deck. After that was cured I ran a bead of liquid cement around them.

Hi, Mark,

The method I planned to use for the superstructure horizontal seam was less challenging, I will overlay the full height of the deck to ceiling wall with a strip of .005 Evergreen sheet plastic with the portholes drilled into them at the same locations as on the parts. Just mark and drill them before you assemble one deck onto another. I bought a PE fret of generic porthole frames and watertight doors to attach some details. Thanks for describing your modifications to the kit.

Ed

I had thought about that on mine but the bulkhead on the main deck isn't the same width along the entire length. This is due to the sheer of the deck and I thought it would be easier to fill in the seam. The 01 level and above would be easier.

Thanks to Mark, Chris, and Ed for your help with photos, and a big thanks to Dick Montgomery who called me up, walked me through this, and showed me why my first photos were deleted. Thanks again. I am going to repost the pics now.

• 3 weeks later...

HawaiianPilot002.jpg

This shows the scribed in hull plating, scratch built chocks, reworked bitts.

• 2 months later...

Here are some updated photos of the Hawaiian Pilot.

Focsle.jpg007.jpg006.jpg003.jpg002.jpg

The first photo, of the fo'c'sle, shows some modification on the anchor windlass, mainly anchor chains, windlass brakes, and chain stoppers. Also is a good view of reworked bitts and scratch built chocks. The other photos show some of the rigging in progress and some of the other work.

Ron W.

Edited by Wilky