New 1/72 release from Tamiya

Dick Montgomery

Tamiya is releasing a 72nd A6M5 featuring all new tooling. I happened to come across a test shot recently and took some images. The test shot did not contain any decals but the literature indicates that there are markings for 3 different aircraft. The item # for this model is #60309. There is a remarkable amount of detail engraved in the cockpit and wheel wells. The most striking aspect of this item, in my view, is the quality of the engraving on the cylinder heads. The parts are entirely free of flash and the absence of mold release lines is very much appreciated. Hit your local hobby shop and pick up one of these items...you will not be disappointed.

Mvc-087s-1.jpg

Mvc-088s.jpg

Mvc-089s.jpg

Mvc-090s.jpg

Mvc-091s.jpg

Mvc-092s.jpg

Mvc-093s.jpg

Mvc-094s.jpg

Mvc-095s.jpg

Mvc-096s.jpg

Mvc-097s.jpg

Dick,

Thanks for the heads up. Gotta get one. I also saw on the Hannant's newsletter that Tamiya is re-releasing their 1/72nd P-51D in Tuskegee markings.

For the most part I build in 48th or something other than aircraft, but if you are a 72nd scale fan then this kit is certainly worth a look-see.

Pity all those previously released A6M5's since this one appears to eclipse them. And if Tim is correct that Tamiya is also releasing a new P-51 then I'll bet the vendor tables at shows will be full of those older kits. Such is life, heh?

• 8 months later...