The Duke's 2012 Workbench Updated 9/9/12

Mark Deliduka

Well, it's a new year and time to start showcasing all my work for the coming year. I'm hoping to get even more done this year than last; after all, I have to clear some room in my Hobby Room.

I'll start with a recap of what was still unfinished at the end of 2011.

As you know, I was working on three large transports. Clearing these large boxes out of my room would be a great improvement. As of now, here is where they stand:

The C-160 Transall and the C-130 Herc have both received some additional sanding and filling before being prepped for paint. The An-12 Cub is almost ready for it's oat of paint which it'll get once I acquire the color. After that it'll be set up for decals and final finishing while I wait to see if I can replace the missing canopy.

Here's the pics of where these three are now in terms of assembly:

C-130:

WIP_C_130A_IV%7E0.JPG

C-160:

WIP_Transall_III%7E0.JPG

An-12 Cub:

WIP_An_12_Cub_VII%7E0.JPG

Next I had started the MPC Profile Series/Airfix P-61 Black Widow. I had noticed that the horizontal stabilizer on the tail was crooked, so I had to break it and adjust the one wing to make it straight. That's where I am now on this. Here is a pic showing it where it is now:

WIP_P_61_Black_Widow_I%7E0.JPG

I had also begun a B-57G Night Hawk and had it to the painting stage. Since then, I've managed to get a camo pattern on it now:

WIP_Nighthawk_II.JPG

Another model I'd started near the beginning of last year and stopped working on was the Italeri Ka-50W 'Werewolf'. I'd stopped working on it because it seemed that every time I tried to get further along on it, something else would break. I seemed to always be taking one step forward and two steps back on this. I finally got tired of it and just kept barreling along until I'd browbeat this thing to where it is now.

Here it is; I have the camo pattern on it, decals on it, and the landing gear installed. I also assembled the blades onto the main rotor assembly:

WIP_KA_50W_V.JPG

Here's another quicky I started sometime after Christmas. I'd gotten it from a friend that knew he wasn't going to build it so he passed it on to me. It's an A-1 Skyraider being done up in SEA camo pattern. I got it almost all assembled and got the camo pattern on it just before the year ended. Here it is as of last year, with the canopy and prop dry-fit on it:

WIP_Skyraider_I.JPG

And finally, the last armor model I'd hoped to have done by the new year, but couldn't finish in time. This is my Cpl Overby's Motor Pool/Dragon conversion of the Israeli M-50 Super Sherman. All that's left to do is to weather it:

WIP_Sherman_GB_IX.JPG

Okay, that is what is carrying over from last year. Now to show the newest models I started the day after New Years. I took all these to my St. Crispin's Hobby Day Monday to work on.

This first one is for you Mark Schroeder. As promised this is the A-Stoff trailer you sent me.

I had a devil of a time with this model. At first it went together well, but when I'd installed the tank between the two side brace assemblies and added the 'feet' to it, I noticed too late that the tank angled down at the back. I tried to ignore it, but after awhile it really started to bug me. So, I took an X-acto knife and started to cut the tank free. I got most of it cut free until I ran into the last 'foot' which was particularly difficult. Finally, I managed to cut through it..... and the trailer.... into my thumb.

Here is the first pic after I'd cut the tank free. You can see the cut through the bottom of the trailer in this pic. You can also see the knife that bit me up in the upper left corner:

WIP_A_Stoff_I.JPG

The X-acto blade bit more than a half inch deep into my thumb, causing blood to shoot out everywhere. This is how it looked after I got bandaged up; twenty minutes after I cut myself:

WIP_A_Stoff_II.JPG

This final pic is after I'd gotten the whole tank free. You can see some of the damage done to the side framework that I don't know how I'm going to fix:

WIP_A_Stoff_III.JPG

After all that drama, I figured I was ready for some easy models to assemble. So, I pulled out the nine Dragon 1/72 scale T-34/76 models that I'd brought along to start. I have three T-34/76 1940 tanks, two T-34/76 1941 versions (one with a cast turret, one with the welded one), two T-34/76 1942 versions (one with a cast turret, one with the welded one) and one T-34/76 1943 version. The final one is a Beute model with markings only for tanks used by the Wehrmacht.

I decided to go by years, starting with the 1940's ones. The first one, I drilled out the holes on the idler wheels and drive sprockets and installed them all together with the roadwheels. I also assembled most of the upper hulls on all three. The second two 1940 tanks I didn't add the idler wheels and drive sprockets because I had broken my drill bit and didn't want to drill them out with the X-acto knife, given what had happened earlier. So on the second two models I only installed the roadwheels. I also used the plastic engine covers for two of them; the third will have the photo-etch engine screens:

Here's the three hulls of the three T-34/76 1940 tanks. Yes, they are all different....

WIP_T_34_76_1940_a_I.JPG

WIP_T_34_76_1940_b_I.JPG

WIP_T_34_76_1940_c_I.JPG

Next I built up the same assemblies on the T-34/76 1941's. because of the simplicity of the gun/mantlet assembly on the T-34/76 1941 with the cast turret, I decided to build that tank's turret as well. Her it is showing all I did on this one:

WIP_T_34_76_1941_CT_I.JPG

The other T-34/76 1941 only got as far as the rest of the tanks:

WIP_T_34_76_1941_I.JPG

Finally, I'd managed to start one of the T-34/76 1942 versions, but because the wheels had the holes in them, I decided not to install them now since they still needed to be drilled out. I did get the back armor plate on the lower hull and then moved on to assemble the upper hull:

WIP_T_34_76_1942_I.JPG

And that's as far as I got on all those T-34's, as it came time to close the Hobby Day. Today I have some time, hopefully I'll be able to get more done later today on the remainder of the T-34's.

UPDATE: Well, it's been a busy month and so I haven't been able to get as much done as I'd have liked to. Hopefully February will give me more time and energy to get some of these projects done. Still, I'm way behind in posting what I have gotten done; these pics should have been up some time ago.

This is one of my two T-34/76's I was able to work on the fiollowing day after the aforementioned Hobby Day. This is my T-34/76 1942 with the cast turret:

WIP_T_34_76_1942_CT_IJPG.jpg

...and this is my T-34/76 1943:

WIP_T_34_76_1943_I.JPG

All those T-34's are coming along slowly. For a distraction and to 'cleanse the pallet', so to speak, I glosscoated my little ACE Kfz 13 armored car to take decals. The next time you see her she'll be in the Finished Models Forums.:

WIP_Kfz_13_II.JPG

I also started these other two models to help keep myself from burning out on T-34's. This first one is my first ever MAC distributor's kit, the Mercedes 3000. I got the main cab and the flatbed done; next will be the chassis:

WIP_Mercedes_3000_I.JPG

The top is not glued on; it is only dry-fit in place for this pic.

The other little beastie I started is another ACE kit; the Japanese Kurogane four-man transport car. I got it almost all assembled; I just need to paint details before going on:

WIP_Type_62_Kurogane_I.JPG

That's about all there is for now. I'll keep you posted on further developments. Stay tuned for my pics of my latest completed models.

Meanwhile, thanks for looking in on the start of my 2012 production line. Comments are always welcome.

• Replies 82
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

You have an interesting variety of kits going there for 2012 and an injury to boot. I hope to get at least 3 of my unfinished pile complete this year.

Rock on,

Ken

• 2 weeks later...

Well it's a new week, and I've actually got something to post worth showing.

I've been working on my eight T-34's , as well as my large cargo planes so I can clear out a good set of boxes for more room.

I'll start out with my cargo planes. I've gotten my C-130 basecoated with a dark green and got started with some preliminary camouflage painting. You can see I've also already broken two propeller blades, one of which is already disappeared:

WIP_C130A_V.JPG

Next, I got my An-12 Cub completely painted and ready for a clearcoat. I should have decals on this bird pretty soon:

WIP_An_12_Cub__VIII.JPG

That's all my progress so far on my aircraft. Hopefully I'll have some of these done soon.

Now for my progress on my armor.

As I mentioned above; I have managed to get my eight T-34's to the painting stage. I took these all to St. Crispin's Hobby Day on Monday and set to work on them.

I got all the roadwheels drilled out and installed on all the lower hulls. Then I added the P/E screens to the engine decks of all these tanks. While they were drying, I went box by box and added all the fiddly little detail bits that I'd bypassed before to all the upper hulls. Then when I was done with that, I went through and completed all the turrets for every one of these tanks. After about 7 hours of work, I finally have these tanks ready for their basecoat of paint.

Now for the parade of tanks:

T-34/76 1940:

WIP_T_34_76_1940_a_II.JPG

T-34/76 1940:

WIP_T_34_76_1940_b_II.JPG

T-34/76 1940:

WIP_T_34_76_1940_c_II.JPG

T-34/76 1941:

WIP_T_34_76_1941_II.JPG

T-34/76 1941 with Cast Turret:

WIP_T_34_76_1941_CT_II.JPG

T-34/76 1942:

WIP_T_34_76_1942_II.JPG

T-34/76 1942 with Cast Turret:

WIP_T_34_76_1942_CT_II.JPG

T-34/76 1943:

WIP_T_34_76_1943_II.JPG

Finally, a shot of all of them together:

WIP_T_34_s_I.jpg

Once I got do0ne with that, I decided to work on one last model; my Mercedes 3000 from MAC Distributors. I had gotten the chassis assembled earlier, and now that everything was all dry, I went ahead and painted the grey basecoat on it:

WIP_Mercedes_3000_II.JPG

Well, that's all I got done this past week. Hopefully in another week I'll have some more finished models to show, not to mention more progress. Meanwhile, thanks all for looking in, comments are always welcome.

A whole convoy for a target rich environment. They look good so far, get 'em done. Re-supply from the air, I hope they are not to late to save the convoy.

Nice job Mark!!

Bill

Thanks for the great compliments guys! I'm hoping to get more done this weekend.

Organized Gil? My wife would argue that point....

Persistent and motivated yeah, especially whenever I get comments on my work, that always fires me up!

More progress this week. This is a short update since work took me away from my workbench so much this week.

Starting with my aircraft, I refined my painting on the B-57G Night Hawk. Now it is ready for decals and final details:

WIP_Nighthawk_II%7E0.JPG

Next thing I dd was to complete the camo pattern on my C-130A Hercules. Now it is ready for clearcoat and decals and then I get to find the two missing propeller blades and make some repairs before I can call this thing done:

WIP_C_130A_VI.JPG

And finally, for a Group Build on another Forum, I'm re-starting this model since I'm tired of it sitting around on my workbench!

WIP_Lazy_Arse_GB_I.JPG

Here it was when I stopped working on it about two years ago:

WIP_R100_II.jpg

The white stuff in the openings is Testor's Window cement. I figured I needed to close off all those windows in the mooring tower.

Recently, I did get the mooring tower painted. You can see all the windows have cleared up nicely:

WIP_Lazy_Arse_GB_II.JPG

Next up, my armor.

I did all the rest of this at my Monday Hobby Day.

First thing I did was to assemble my Russian Ural 432 Command truck. I had gotten the cab finished for the most part, as well as gotten the suspension mounted to the chassis:

WIP_Ural_432_I.JPG

Within an hour and a half, I had this thing fully assembled and ready for paint:

WIP_Ural_432_II.JPG

I had also painted my Japanese Kurogane personnel carrier but didn't get any pics of it yet. Batteries died on my camera before I could get pics. They are coming soon.

Finally, I did start a new armored train. This one is a Russian one containing an engine, a tender, and four turreted cars. I got the engine assembled and the top half of the tender. I also got one of the turreted cars assembled as well. I'll be slowing this one down a bit till I get some brass rod for the axles since the plastic ones in the kit break when you look at them. That's why I haven't gotten the lower part of the tender done.

Here is what I have done on this train right now:

WIP_Russian_Armored_Train_I.JPG

There is a TON of photo etch included in this kit for this train! It's gonna be real interesting getting this thing built!

Okay that's it for now. Yeah, it's a short update, but hopefully I'll be able to post a longer one later once I get some paint shot.

Meanwhile, thanks all for looking in, comments are welcome.

Nice progress. You (as always) have more done then me. So far this year I have zero models complete and several contests are coming up fast. Life is taking away from modeling this year for me. Thanks for sharing your work Mark I love seeing how you and others take models from start to finish.

Chris

Thanks Chris! I feel your pain not being able to build because of life getting in the way, and not having models to take to contests. Been there a number of times, despite my productivity. I'm glad that I'm able to help you live on your bench vicariously through my work. Stay tuned, more to come...

Okay, I just don't get it.

I went in my hobby room earlier today to work on my transport aircraft. I have two that just need a clearcoat for decals and then I'll be almost done with them except for some final details to touch up. Those two are my C-130A and my An-12 Cub. Here's what I don't get....

I set up my C-130 to shoot my Future on it. I'd already checked to be sure that the model was clean and ready to go. So, I start to shoot some Future and notice on the wing tips is a bunch of dirt that wasn't there before. So, I start to carefully clean it off, and I break off the flap! Plus, I see a big fingerprint that needs to be fixed as well. So much for being ready for a clearcoat. I fix the wing flap, touch up the fingerprint to get rid of it and set the model aside to dry....

Okay, I still have Future in my airbrush. Okay, so I'll go ahead and shoot Future on the AN-12 Cub. So, I pick it up and proceed to take off all the tape masking the white leading edges. Then I set it in the spraybooth to shoot Future. I start to shoot, only to have to stop immediately again because I notice.... BIG BROWN SMUDGES on the fuselage! Okay, so I go and get a wet paper towel and start to clean off the model, being very careful with it. Suddenly, the spine on top snaps open! I'd tried so hard to get that area to look seamless and now it just CRACKED OPEN! Now I have to re-glue all that together again and then sand it smooth, then shoot more paint on it! On top of that, as I was repairing that, one of the main landing gear falls off....AGAIN! That still hasn't been repaired, I will do that after I finish with the other break first.

Man, I just seem to NEVER be allowed to finish a large model without some stupid glaring flaw that I either have to settle for or break five more pieces before I finish fixing said glaring flaw!

I finally was able to shoot some Future on my B-57G Night Hawk so I can at least decal that! IF I haven't lost the decals to it! Just my luck, that's what happened!

Why, why WHY can't I just finish a large model without having to break it fifteen times just trying to prepare it for decals?

On a more positive note, I shot paint on my Ural command truck and my eight T-34's, and I weathered my little German Kfz-13 armored car. I'm gonna let them dry overnight and then take pics maybe this weekend and get them posted. The little Kfz-13 will be posted as a finished model.

Okay, I just had to vent. I go through this every time I build a two- three- or four-engined aircraft and I'm just so FED UP with it! By now, I should be able to build the stinking things without having to constantly go back and FIX something that should never have broken in the FIRST place!

So, stay tuned, pics are forthcoming.

HaHa....I FEEL YOUR PAIN!!!!!!!!!!!! Kinda the same issues I had with the C-17A. I know I am not a great modeler but I tthink I have the basics down. To insire non silvering decals, You need a good clear coat! I know this....I am pretty sure it had one! However, if you look closely at that plane, you can see ALL the silvering. I just write it off as the model Gremlins living in the man cave! It will happen....It will happen!!!! Keep 'em rolling Duke!

Thanks Mark! Glad to know I'm not the only one. Still it seems like this always happens to me EVERY TIME! Oh well.

Anyway, here's the rest of my week since then.

During the week I spent some time on the spraybooth shooting paint. I got my C-160 Transall finally shot with a basecoat:

WIP_Transall_IV.JPG

Next up: the camo pattern, then a clearcoat and decals (hopefully!!!)

While I was at it, I also basecoated all my T-34 tanks as well:

WIP_T_34_s_II.JPG

All I have to do now is some detail painting, camo patterns on some, clearcoat and decals.

Since I was shooting paint, I also painted my Russian Ural command truck as well since it was all ready for paint by this time:

WIP_Ural_432_III.JPG

Saturday, I went to Military Hobbies here and picked up three new kits all in 1/72 scale:

Dragon Ka MI Type 2 amphibious tank

Trumpeter M1A1 Abrams with a mineroller

Airfix Vickers Valiant

I consider them early birthday presents!

Monday I went back to pick up some supplies I needed for the armored train I'm building. While there, I also picked up the Dragon Water Buffalo with Jeep. After that, I went and opened up the Hall for another very productive St. Crispin's Hobby Day.

Okay, here's what I got done yesterday....

I'll start out showing my armor I did.

I started the day working on my armored train. I had some difficulty after putting the wheels under the tender that was attached to the engine:

WIP_Russian_Armored_Train_II.JPG

You can see where the wheels are floating in the back. I had to separate the tender and engine and reset the wheels. Here is the result:

WIP_Russian_Armored_Train_III.JPG

After resetting the wheels on the tender, I assembled all the rest of the turreted cars for this train. Finally, the whole train was fully assembled:

WIP_Russian_Armored_Train_IV.JPG

WIP_Russian_Armored_Train_V.JPG

Now all I have to do is add all the photo-etch (seven frets worth!) and the rest of the detail parts and then I can paint this thing.

Moving on, I decided to start the Vickers Valiant that I picked up on Saturday.

I started with the cockpit first:

WIP_Valiant_I.JPG

Then I worked on part of the bomb bay:

WIP_Valiant_II.JPG

This will have a full bomb load; I'm going to paint this in the two-tone grey and green camo pattern to match my other two V Bombers. Even though I'm not doing the Nuc bird I couldn't help assembling the Blue Danube H-Bomb:

WIP_Valiant_IV.JPG

Moving on again, I decided to assemble the wing flaps, tail surfaces and other assemblies that required two parts to be cemented together to make the one. Makes things faster when it's time to assemble the whole model. I even built the underwing fuel tanks:

WIP_Valiant_III.JPG

Next I built up the engine intakes, exhaust cones and then added the wheel wells and intakes to the interior of the main wing before cementing the two other wing halves to the main wing. That's when I noticed a little issue Airfix left me with. Check it out....

Here's one wingtip:

WIP_Valiant_VI.JPG

Here's the other one:

WIP_Valiant_VJPG.jpg

Airfix short shot the first wingtip! So now I'll have to get some sheet styrene and some Mr. Surfacer to make both wingtips match. Oh well. Even after all that, the big wing still looks pretty good:

WIP_Valiant_VII.JPG

Now all I have to do is paint up all the interior sections and then I can add the bombs to the bomb bay, put in all the interior assembles and close up the fuselage. This is all coming together very well so far.

Finally, the last model I worked on at this Hobby Day was the trumpeter M1A1 Abrams with the minerollers. This was a quick and easy kit to assemble; here it was after only 40 minutes:

WIP_AbramsMineroller_I.JPG

The minerollers are only dry fit, as is the upper hull. I won't cement that all together until after the whole thing is painted and the tracks installed. Fifteen minutes later, I finished the turret:

WIP_ABramsMInroller_II.JPG

Now that bad boy is ready for paint. Time to fire up the spraybooth again!

Well, that is all my progress so far this week. I have a few days off, (one is my birthday) so I'll be getting even more done here this week. Maybe I'll even have a couple finished models to show by this time next week!

Thanks all for looking in, comments are welcome.

Valiant effort Duke! :smiley4: Ok........I'll stop now,,,,,,,,,

GIL :smiley16:

LOLOLOL!!! :lol: :lol:

Thanks Gil! I needed that laugh!!

Stay tuned, more to come!

Today I spent my birthday working on my models, so I have a bit more progress to show. Here is today's latest work.

After fixing the C-130, I took a good look at it. I realized I was pretty hasty in applying the paint and camo to this bird; I had a ton more issues to sand and fill so I went to work. Here is my Herc after I got it sanded. You can see where all the issues were:

WIP_C_130A_VII.JPG

The horizontal stabilizer on the right had broken off the tape was helping it to dry level:

WIP_C_130A_VIIIJPG.jpg

Even underneath had a ton of issues:

WIP_C_130A_IX.JPG

Afterward, I added my Mr. Surfacer 500 to everything and set it aside to dry.

WIP_C_130A_X.JPG

After all that, I figured I'd better check my An-12 Cub. Yep, a few issues there too, but fortunately not as many as the Herc:

WIP_An_12_Cub_IX%7E0.JPG

Once that Mr. Surfacer dries, I'll be able to sand both smooth and move on.

Speaking of moving on, I also spent some time painting all the rubber on the T-34 roadwheels. I managed to get all eight tanks done:

WIP_T_34_S_IIIJPG.jpg

Oh, and for those wondering how I keep all these t-34;'s straight, well, I labeled them as shown here (BTW, the CT stands for cast turret):

WIP_T_34_s_IVJPG.jpg

Along with all of this, I also did a little work on the mooring tower for the R-100 airship; added liquid decal film to a couple sheets of decals and touched up a little on the Russian command truck. Not enough progress on those to show in pics, so they weren't taken.

It's a small update, but I'm that much closer to being done with a few of these. Thanks all for looking in, comments are welcome.

Be thankful thoseT-34s aren't Tigers....you'd STILL be doing the roadwheels!

Gil :smiley16:

I know. Thankfully, all six of my Tigers are already all built! Same with my five King Tigers, 5 Panthers, and eight halftracks.

• 3 weeks later...

Okay, here's a pretty long Progress thread showing what I've been doing between jobs for the last three weeks. I've been so busy, I've not been able to post anything until today.

Okay, I did manage to start getting decals on my C-130, but they aren't all on yet so I didn't take any pics. Besides, they are the old MPC decals that are thicker than vacuform. I even used Tamiya Extra Thin cement on them to get them to lay down-- nothing else would work!!!

I also got the camo pattern painted on the C-160 Transall. She's been clearcoated as well, and as soon as I get her decals out, I'll get them put on when I next can apply them. Here she is just before the clearcoat:

WIP_Transall_V.JPG

All other progress so far is on my armor models. I'll start with the eight T-34's. Two weeks ago, I had them all camouflaged and half were clearcoated for decals. Here they were back then:

WIP_T_34_s_V.JPG

Now all these T34's are completed. You'll see them all in the Armor Forums, feel free to check them out.

Next I clearcoated the Zil 157 Command Truck to get it ready for decals. That happened two weeks ago as well, it looked like this:

WIP_Ural_432_III.JPG

That one is also finished and can be seen in the Armor Forums.

Another one I was working on was this little Japanese Kurogane utility car. I got the windows on it and was waiting for them to dry before adding the top and the machine gun. Here is what it looked like then:

WIP_Type_62_Kurogane_II.JPG

It is also now finished and posted with the others above.

Now for a few that aren't completed yet. These still need work:

This first one is the German Neubau Fahrzeug. I have the camo pattern on it and waiting for more detail painting to be done before I add the fenders to it:

WIP_Neubau_Fahrzeug_II.JPG

Then I painted on the basecoats for all my little Japanese tanks. Later I'll add the camouflage patterns:

WIP_Camo_GB_V.JPG

My M-1A1 Abrams with minerollers now has a basecoat on as well, waiting for the camouflage pattern:

WIP_AbramsMineroller_III.JPG

And finally, I was able to add a bit more photo etch to my Russian armored train. This is looking pretty good so far!

WIP_Russian_Armored_Train_VI.JPG

I'm slowly making some progress on that train, it is tedious work placing all that photo etch.

That's all for now. I'll be at Hobby Day tomorrow so there'll be a bit more progress to show after that. I just don't know when I'll be able to post it! LOL!

Meanwhile, comments are welcome; thanks for looking in! Stay tuned for more!

:smiley13: I feel SO far behind when I see all the progress you make!

I did actually work on the halftrack today, getting the instrument decals in place on the dash and adding "stuff" into the rear bed. I set myself back a whole week when I tried to spray on a "lightening" overcoat and spattered the entire paintjob!So.... I spent last week doing the repaint, re-wash, re-drybrush, etc...., and now it's decaled and almost ready for final assembly.

Keep on truckin' Duke! Your modeling will shame me into hitting the bench more often! :smiley20:

GIL :smiley16:

Thanks Gil! I know how you feel about having a setback like that. I'm still dealing with the one I had with the C-130. Not only that, but dealing with that setback and then trying to decal it; I broke off another propeller blade! Hopefully, I'll get that beast done soon!

I managed to get more done yesterday at Hobby Day. I'll probably be able to post pics later this week, I hope. meanwhile, I'll keep truckin' and you keep hitting that bench Gil! :smiley16::smiley20:

• 1 month later...

Well, I'm back from Ohio and have a day to myself to get caught up posting pics that were taken before I left.

I'll start with my Russian Armored Train. After exhausting and time consuming labor, I finally got all the P/E hinges and detail parts on the engine and tender. It really does make this train look good!

WIP_Russian_Armored_Train_VII.JPG

WIP_Russian_Armored_Train_VIIa.JPG

WIP_Russian_Armored_Train_VIIb.JPG

Now to do all the tedious work on all the four train cars....

While that was drying, I pulled out my Mercedes 3000 truck and went to work. I got some detail parts, the windows and the fenders and storage boxes installed here, then set it up to paint some more details:

WIP_Mercedes_3000_III.JPG

Then while looking through the instructions, I realized how close I was to actually completing assembly, so I finished this off with all the rest of the parts. Wow, still pretty rough looking here:

WIP_Mercedes_3000_IV.JPG

After some paint and clearcoat, it's looking much better:

WIP_Mercedes_3000_V.JPG

Now to figure out how I'm going to mark it. The only options given in the instruction sheet are for two Afrika Korps vehicles (which are painted sand and mine is grey) and one Spanish vehicle from the Spanish Civil War, (which I did not want to do) There are multiple markings on the decal sheet not even indicated on the instructions so I might just use what I want and damn the torpedoes.

Moving right along, I painted a camo pattern on my Neubau-Fahrzeug after installing the fenders and various other detail parts:

WIP_Neubau_Fahrzeug_III.JPG

Afterwards, when it was dry, I applied a clearcoat and the decals, then attempted a wash using Citadel's dark brown wash. Epic Fail:

WIP_Neubau_Fahrzeug_IV.JPG

While the Neubau-Fahrzeug was drying, I also added the camo pattern and clearcoat to the M1A1 Abrams with minerollers and also attempted the wash with the Citadel dark color wash. Another Epic Fail:

WIP_AbramsMineroller_IV.JPG

Almost makes one want to give up trying to wash. I can NEVER get it looking as good as everyone else's wash!

Moving along again, I decided to start another ACE kit, the Kfz 21 that was Rommel's personal car, or one of them. He had about 16 I'm told. After looking at this, you can see why I set it aside after awhile for something a little less frustrating:

WIP_Rommels_Car_I.JPG

Yeah, that's gonna take some serous sanding, shaping and fitting, with extensive dry-fitting in between. I'll get back to you on that one later.....

On to something a little more easy. These three little gems are being done for a Group Build on another Forum, the camo Group Build. Well, they are almost fully camouflaged, except on that Hobby Day I had left the green color at home so I couldn't paint the wheels that needed that color. Otherwise, they are ready for the P/E, clearcoat, decals and final weathering:

Here's the one Ha Go:

WIP_Ha_Go_II.JPG

The other Ha Go, the North China version:

WIP_Ha_Go_NC_II.JPG

And the Chi Ha early version:

WIP_Chi_Ha_Early_II.JPG

Finally, here's a shot of them all together:

WIP_Camo_GB_VI.JPG

Now I wasn't only working on Armor all this time. I needed to 'cleanse the pallet' once in a while, so I had started a couple aircraft.

This first one is Captain Steve Hillman's F/A-18 Hornet from the Independence Day movie. This kit is a Lindbergh kit and going together surprisingly well for a Lindbergh kit! yeah it's fictional, but hey, I have Maverick's F-14 from Top Gun, so why not Capt. Steve's plane from Independence day?

WIP_ID4_Hornet_I.JPG

This other kit is the Hasegawa F-111 in Australian markings. I'm a bit disappointed in this model because Hasegawa requires me to build this model with the wings extended. There's no option for letting them swing, or leaving them swept (which I need to do to fit this on my shelf!) So, I'm going to go ahead and complete it th3e way it demands I do it. Here's where I left off on this model:

WIP_Australian_Aardvark_I.JPG

Well, that is all I have so far to show. I have another Hobby Day tomorrow where I'll be getting alot more done, and I'll even be starting one or two new kits that I got in Ohio at the Dayton model show. Stay tuned, and as always, comments are welcome.

• 2 weeks later...

Well, I know I'm overwhelming everyone into speechlessness, but here we are in a new month and I have some new progress. This will be a short and sweet update here showing my latest work to date.

I'll start out with my three little Japanese tanks. They are fully camouflaged, all the tools are on them, and their tracks have been installed. All that's left is clearcoat, decals, dullcoat, then weathering:

Ha Go:

WIP_Ha_Go_IV.JPG

Ha Go, North China version:

WIP_Ha_Go_NC_IV.JPG

Chi Ha Early version:

WIP_Chi_Ha_Early_IV.JPG

And one big happy family all together:

WIP_Camo_GB_VII.JPG

Moving along, I managed to beat this little car into submission some more. It finally looks relatively aligned and clean now:

Rommel's Car:

WIP_Rommels_Car_II.JPG

Next I applied most of the photo etch to one of the Russian armored train turreted cars. Everything is on except the grab handles and steps:

WIP_Russian_Armored_Train_VIII.JPG

I have three more to do like that, then I can start laying down paint. I also filed down some of the edges of the photo etch panels that I'd applied to the engine and tender. Meanwhile, here's how the one turreted car looks with the completely photo-etched engine and tender:

WIP_Russian_Armored_Train_VIIIa.JPG

Yes, it's a small update, but then I did finish four other models along with completing all of this. Feel free to check them out in their respective Forums.

Thanks all for looking in, comments are always welcome.