"Spanish School" of model building

ghodges

I thought I'd pas along this link to Daniel Zamarbide's website: http://www.network54.com/Forum/620142/ Please be aware that there IS an annoying flashing pop-up banner that you will either need to ignore, or turn down your sound; but it has NO effect on what you click on to look at. It only speaks to you 1 time, when you first click onto that page.

I really like the way he paints his models, inside and out! He has a special amazing talent for painting tiny details, but even outside that, there's a "method" to how he achieves so much visiual interest. His interiors, exteriors, and their components just seem to "POP"! Good photgraphy also helps too!

If you take the time to view several of the models, you'll get some tutorials on defferent aspects of how he paints and how he details. Almost all have English captions in addition to Spanish, though it's somewhat broken and dificult to follow in parts.

There IS debate among model builders as to whether what he does is "accurate" or not, so you may or may not like his results. In my mind, model building is as much art as it is simple miniaturezation. "Authenticity" is in the eye of the beholder! I'm naturally drawn to models that are eyecatching. I (personally) do not prioritize accuracy ahead of what looks good! In any case, I hope you enjoy looking at some well built models, and feel free to discuss what you like and don't like about what you see! Cheers!

GIL :smiley16:

Edited by ghodges

While I always enjoy seeing Daniel's work, I have to say I'm not a fan of the "Spanish School".  I very much appreciate the work, skill, and yes, artistry that Daniel puts into his models.  I just don't personally care for the artificial highlights that in my opinion tend to be the primary characteristic of the Spanish School.  Everything seems to have an overdone black border around it to highlight it.  I would prefer to lose track of some of that detail in order to be a little closer to authenticity.

That said, I've heard it said that modeling is more about representation than replication.  And in that sense, the Spanish School is no less valid than whatever it is that I do.  And there is no question that it leads to visually striking models.  I'll look at them all day long and appreciate all the work that went into them and hopefully learn a lot as I do.

Mike

No offence inteneded to Daniel or anyone who like that style, but the Spanish style of painting always makes me thin that the subject has been sitting at the bottom of a boggy lake for 20 years. While he is certianly a skilled modeler, this is weathering for weathering's sake. If he would dial it back to something more realstic, they'd all be winners.

OK after looking through a few of these projects heres my two cents. I really enjoyed the pilots and cockpit work. One of the Phantom projects had awesome pilots. Really like the way they're posed. The exterior painting process is so meticulous right down to the missles and bombs. As for the weathering technique, I find it a bit heavier than I would do but its well done. Modeling is a very personal hobby. Each of us has our perception of what looks right to us. One of the factors that attracts me to this hobby is that I have control of the process, something not common in most other areas of life. This modeler clearly has mastered the technical and artistic sides to create what his minds eye sees. I enjoyed the end results and his willingness to share them. Theres a lot of good basic to advanced modeling going on here.

"Weathering for weathering's sake." :D Love it! That's a perfect description of the "Spanish school" (which I don't care for at all, in case there is any doubt). Although his scratchbuilding and hand-painting skills are awesome.