Modeling Blues

802chrisg

Well my main model building season is in full swing and I have the modeling Blues big time. You see you know that you have the blues when you dread heading to the bench to work on models. This should never happen, as modeling should be fun and a way to relax an enjoy this hobby we love so much.

Here is what is happening to me and why I have the blues. I have two models in the paint stage and almost ready for weathering. Two that I have started but are on hold waitting for aftermarket parts to arrive. Finally I have three that are in the building stage. The one on my bench right now that is giving me the most problems is the Tamiya Initial production that I am making into the DAK version. The build is progressing but with all the wrong problems to be had. Mainly flying or disappearing PE parts. Nothing drives me more crazy then having gone thru the trouble too sand away detail on a kit part and replace it with a great looking PE part only to have it fly away either as I am appling it or afterwards when I accidently hit it. Gone never to be found again. So what do you do. Scratch build. I don't have a problem with scratch building, but after I have already spent the money on a PE set, done the sanding the last thing I was expecting to do was scratch build. Now on top of all this throw in the kids sports scedule and events, the wife asking for "Family Time", home inprovement projects, and also work. Well time is limited. To say the least my stress is high. I have tried playing my kids XBOX Black Ops game and thinking that every person or thing that I kill, shoot, or blow up is the modeling problems that I am having. This actual does work and is very enjoyable, but takes time away from my modeling. So in the end I am only compounding the Problem.

Well I just wanted to vent here a little an see if others are haveing or have had the same problem and what you did about it. For me I will just keep at it, I'm sure that it will get better.

Chris,

I hear ya Man! I've shared all of these problems that you mentioned but now my situation is vastly different. Both kids are out and married, bought the Ms. an I-Pad for Christmas/Birthday, and she has discovered the joys of on-line books thus occupying a significant chunk of her "home time".

As for the PE parts sprouting wings....I have a clear plastic "box" about 13 inches across the front. I work on my P.E. by placing the box with the opening facin front (not on top) and I work "inside the box". The parts continue to attempt an escape but for the most part they ping around inside the box and are easily found. The fact that the box is clear plastic means I do not have any lighting issues. For models that won't fit inside the box or are configured in a way which limits the use of the box, I've got a set of Exacto Extra Hands into which I clip a piece of sheet plastic. I've been thinking about finding an apron that I can wear and tuck under the workbench to catch parts that fly forward...but after a while it's just not worth the effort to prevent escape....it takes too long to set up the parts-prison!

I go through the same thing from time to time. Normally I would just walk away and come back when I do feel like it. Since joining the review team thats not possible since there are deadlines. Overall the review models are good for me because I've got to go out and do something on a regular basis to finish on time. Its kept my skill level up so when I do get a burst of motivation, I'm ready to do my best work. It also forces me to read up on the the subject and to write about the subject and experience. I've learned a lot by doing so.

I look for inspiration from books I've read or from going to airshows or carshows. That reminds me of all the reasons I like building scale replicas of those subjects. Don't have the money to do the full scale versions so models are the next best thing. Xbox therapy is a non starter. Unlike my son who can get nailed over and over without frustration, I'm a ball of nerves after 15 minutes! wheres the joy in that?

A lot of times I've found if I go out and just sit and do something, the spark ignites and several hours later I look back on a truly relaxing and enjoyable experience, which is the point of having a hobby like this right?

I'd like to offer a different slant.....

Just HOW important is the final result of your model build? Are you a perfectionist, or can you live with less than hoped for? What I'm driving at is that if we have high expectations, it can result in a high "fear factor" and high frustrations as you struggle towards the end goal while being unsatisfied with the work you're doing. That subconscious fear is what will block us from going to the bench. After all, who wants to waste time, especially when you're trying to do something for fun?!

If you can lower your expectations and accept that some builds will not be everything you hoped for, and use THOSE builds just to enjoy the time spent at the bench, then perhaps you'll be less blocked, and not so blue when things go awry. After all, what does it matter if THIS model isn't a contest winner, or doesn't elicit all the "wows" you hoped for from your buddies? As you stated, there are far more important priorities in your life, so why transfer unneeded stress and pressure into your hobby?

However, if being competitive with every model is your thing, or if you feel you HAVE to improve with every project, or hitting your goals for a project is the ONLY way you can enjoy building; then take a break and don't be blue about it. It's a hobby! Tackle it when you can have FUN with it on your own terms! There's no IPMS requirements as to the number of builds you get done, so don't worry if you need to wait til you feel the need to hit the bench.

The thing that has helped me the most in the last few years is realizing that when things go wrong in a build, it's JUST a model! Finish it up as best you can, try to learn from the mistakes made to avoid more frustration in the future, and move on! The other thing that's helped me GO to the bench more often is to set a goal of doing just ONE 10 minute chore. If I do that, I feel like progress is still being made. And more often than not, that 10 minute session stretches on into a regular session. Best of luck!

GIL

Edited by ghodges

Well it is good to hear that I am not alone on this. From reading the responses I now have a better out look. Funny thing is is life is still happening. I mean take tonight for example. Got out of work a little early, My oldest son had a V-H.S.-basketball game sceduled about 2hrs away tonight, so I would not see him until around 10:30/11:00 pm. My middle son was off to snowboard and then stay over his friends house for the night. That left just me, my wife, and 10 yr old daughter at home. Was looking forward to a good quiet night of modeling. So around 3:30 the phone rings. It is my telling mew that the game was postponed and in stead he was having practice and need to be picked up in two hours.Then around 6:00 pm the phone rang and the on call road crew for the hospital I work for called asking me to come in an help out at 10:00 pm because they were going tp be max'ed out in approved hours. Well so much for modeling, Off to bed for a quick nap as I was expecting to be plowing all night (big Snow storm up here in Vermont). So at around 9:30 as I was getting ready to head in an the phone rings."Hey, quess what we don't need you now the storm is slowing down and we have a handle on it". Great there went a night of modeling. See even when I was in a happy place and looking forward to modeling no matter what I was in for, life happens. I guess this is my point. Life is getting in the way. As Gil pointed out I really need to learn not to take it out on my modeling hobby. Because it really is a hobby which means down time, happy place, fun, etc. I need to find that place.

One more thought....while you may be mired knee deep in family and such, that WILL change as the kids grow older and they drift away to do their things and then move away. You can view this as a slow build up to MORE modeling time in the future as the demands you have now diminish. The nice thing about modeling is (unlike most sports we do when we're younger) you CAN continue to do it as you get older, and generally you even get better! Your best models and most of the fun times are ahead of you!

GIL :smiley16:

Edited by ghodges

One more thought....while you may be mired knee deep in family and such, that WILL change as the kids grow older and they drift away to do their things and then move away. You can view this as a slow build up to MORE modeling time in the future as the demands you have now diminish. The nice thing about modeling is (unlike most sports we do when we're younger) you CAN continue to do it as you get older, and generally you even get better! Your best models and most of the fun times are ahead of you!

GIL :smiley16:

Thanks Gil, I needed this. When you look at the big picture it really is bright. :smiley16: