Cleaning Mr. Color

Is there something less expensive than the thinner for Mr. Color that I can use to clean my airbrush? Of course, I use only the Mr. Color thinner to thin the paint for use, but I want to find a cheaper airbrush cleaner.

Depending on the type of airbrush (if it is lacquer friendly), you might be able to use lacquer thinner...$13 a gallon a Wally World...that's what I use.

Thanks Keith. I would assume lacquer thinner would be ok with a Grex and an Eclipse. I would think that if one can shoot lacquer paint with the airbrush then it would follow that it would be ok to clean it up with a thinner compatable to the paint.

Truth be told, I seldm use enamel or lacquer unless I have no choice and a gallon of thinner would probably be sufficient for a number of years.

I'll do some additional research and see what the airbrush manufacturers say.....

Gracias Amigo!

Dick, I've used lacquer thinner to clean both the Grex and the Eclipse...and it caused no problems with either one. During a phone conversation, I specifically asked the Marketing Director of Grex USA about it...and he told me it would be fine to use lacquer thinner to clean their airbrushes. However, you would likely want to removed the seal from the threaded section of the removable color cup if you intend to soak it...the lacquer thinner will dissolve that seal (found out the hard way myself)...the good news is I didn't even notice it was gone until later, as the tolerances are so tight that there was no leakage whatsoever with it missing.

Edited by Keith Pruitt

Copy that, Keith. I try to clean the brushes very thoroughly after each application and avoid soaking them to avoid "killing" any gaskets. I've had my Eclipse for almost five years and my Grex since the Virginia Beach convention (it was my big purchase there) and both are still operating "as new". I like both, for various jobs, and I believe these airbrushes significantly improved my final projects.

Both are excellent airbrushes, Dick...

On the Grex, I unscrewed the color cup to change to a different size after cleaning, and without thinking (like I was using a color cup from a siphon feed), I dropped it into a jar of thinner to soak...I didn't notice the seal was missing after going back to it, because it screws in tightly and securely. Almost overlooked the missing seal completely, until I happened to look closely at the other cups...oh, well.