White deposit left after applying decals?

burner12

I bought a decal sheet from Afterburner decals of East Coast SuperBug CAGS, 1/48 scale. now i have never used 2 decal sheets, 1 for the Hasegawa Super Hornet along with the 2nd decal sheet from Afterburner. But once I had put on some decals fromt he afterburner sheet I saw a white color develop around those decals, and not the Hasegawa ones. When i put water on it it causes the white color to dissipate but it then comes back. In my opinion I believe it is the afterburner decal sheet, but don't know? Has anybody seen this before?

With the scheme that I'm using it'll be hard to repaint those small areas with decals surrounding them. I'm afraid the paint would cover up the decal.

Did you use Future as the gloss coat? IF you did, it occasionally whitens around a decal. If this is the case, do NOT worry! It'll disappear when you apply the next gloss coat (more Future) to seal the decals in place.

If you didn't, it's possible that the white milky stuff is some excess adhesive from the decal. Monogram decals from the 80's are notorious for this. You should be able to wipe most of it away, and the rest should disappear under the next gloss coat.

These have been my experiences with what you seem to describe. Hopefully, more help will be here soon!

GIL :smiley16:

If your local water supply (tap water) has calcium carbonate in abundance you can experience the problem you described. This problem isn't found everywhere....it depends on the local water supply. If your local geology features karst or a limestone base then you are likely to have a "residue issue".

This problem has an easy work-around. One can use distilled water and avoid tap water for hobby use.

This problem plagues figure painters who use acrylic paint and thin it with water.

All that being said, it sounds like this isn't the big issue with your decals since it didn't impact the different decals being used in a similar manner. I've not had any trouble with Afterburner decals similar to what you describe. I hope that you find a solution and ask that you share the end result with the forum. Good luck!

I'm sure a chemist could tell why it happens, and why it doesn't ALWAYS happens, and why another coat of Future solves the problem; but I just look on it as another miracle of Future! Glad the problem's solved! Hope to see your work next Saturday!

GIL :smiley16: