JAXCON - a record breaker today!

Jaxcon 2012 will be held here in Jacksonville FL, at the UNF University Center on Saturday, Feb. 4th from 9am-5pm. Full contest info is available at: ipms-firstcoast.com

Some highlights for this year:

1) We may have the pilot of Flak Bait, the famous WWII B-26 Marauder, at the show! I'll know in a week or so, but he would be here to meet/greet the folks and sign prints of his airplane.

2) Almost 100 categories! The biggest contest outside of the IPMS Nats! We even have an Ace of Aces category where you can compete with your past winners against other past winners.

3) 14 special awards and Best Ofs, including awards for Best NMF, Best Gloss, Best Detailed, and Best Camouflaged, in addition to the usuals.

4) A sold out Vendors area (again) with vendors coming from as far away as Ohio, Texas, Atlanta, and Pensacola.

5) Our famous BIG raffle, with several kits that retail for $100+!

6) If it doesn't snow (and it doesn't here in FL! :D ), the usual turnout will put 400-500 models on the tables!

7) A GREAT facility (the same UNF University Center as usual) which is carpeted, well lit, has a snack bar in house, an ATM on site, and plenty of FREE parking!

8) Free CLUB display tables are available for our show, IF you email me to let me know ahead of time!

I'll post more info as things develop! I hope you can make it here to Jacksonville on the first Saturday in February! Cheers!

Gil :smiley16:

Edited by ghodges

Gil,

Some years ago I happened to be in Florida and attended the Regional in Titusville, and I enjoyed the event very much. That's where we first met. It's too bad you are not having it on Saturday, January 14th, when my wife and I will be in the Orlando area to visit with my mother for a week. Have a great show!

Ed

• 2 weeks later...

Just to whet your appetitie, here's pics of the awards..

100_4043.jpg

Don't get excited, they're 1-2-3, despite being medallions. These fit very nicely on the shelf right next to your winning model!

100_4046.jpg

A sampling of the best Ofs and Specials, of which there are 14 in all!

Hope you can make the show! The vendors area is sold out with 50 tables of stuff! More updates as the show nears!

GIL :smiley16:

• 2 weeks later...

Update!

B-26 Marauder pilot CC Sprinkles will be at Jaxcon (health issues allowing)! He flew the B-26 "Big Ass Bird" as well as flying a few missions in Flak Bait also. He'll be at aviation artist Ernie Boyette's vendor table from @10am-2pm; available to chat with, sign autographs, sign prints of Flak Bait, or to allow you to simply thank him for his service!

Hope you can make it here to Jacksonville FL on Saturday, the 4th of February!

Edited by ghodges

• 2 weeks later...

I believe we're all set! Hope you can join us Saturday for a whole lot of fun. By the way, the raffle will have well over 75 models up for grabs, including several that retail for $100+! Mr. Sprinkles (the Marauder pilot) has confirmed that he plans to be here too! You can get last minute info and print out registration and model forms at: ipms-firstcoast.com. Safe journeys to all, and I hope to see ya here in Jacksonville on the 4th!

Let me start by saying "thankyou Lord!" May sound silly to some of you, but after working through the day, and everything that COULD have been a problem that wasn't, I'm VERY thankful how our club was blessed today. I'm proud to say we set the bar a bit higher for next year!

In short, it was a record setter! 112 entrants put over 600 models on the tables! Also, the vendor area expanded to about 55 tables, and one vendor wiped himself out with a half-price sale! The judging finished on time despite the record numbers and the raffle set a new sales record too!

NONE of this is possible without the attendance of people like you, and our ever resourceful IPMS First Coast club members. All I had to do was ask, and the chore was taken care of! We hope everyone had fun. We had fun hosting you!

I'll try to post a few pics tomorrow. Right now I just want to vej for a bit! Cheers!

Gil cool.gif

One of the benefits of generic awards. You can re-use them year after year. No useless leftovers that become model bases.

Hump? What Hump? :smiley9:

Hadn't even noticed that! No reason I know of except possibly those centers were printed in a different batch than the rest. Sharp eyes, have you padawan! :smiley20:

I guess I was too obscure.

I was referring to the picture of the 3 medallions -- 1st and 2nd have IPMS First Coast on top and Jaxcon on bottom, the 3rd place is reversed. Not an issue, just wondering ? If we can get our contest going again, we've talked about medallions to bring down award costs ....

Like I said, no covert reason I'm aware of, and hadn't noticed the differences until you pointed them out. We've found the medallions to be both economical and convenient. They look nice and also (as Ron points out) are very easy to place during the contest AND to display with your winning model at home!

Edited by ghodges