Lancasters in US /Luftwaffe markings?

Disco58

No, but I recently saw some pix of the Lancastrian airliner in Alitalia markings...just in case you're looking for something really weird to do!

Now that's a rather interesting repurpose. I wonder what a B-17 would look like as an airliner? Hmmmm.... Unfortunately, either would take far more time than I have, but thanks for the idea.

B-17s have done that...kinda! First there was Boeing's formal effort (the B-307 Stratoliner) and then there were a number of post-war B-17's doing firefighting and such. One of the current flying restorations worked for the French government doing global geography studies. There is/was an old (FROG?)kit out there for the Stratoliner, based on their B-17E. I believe Eastern Express did it most recently. Duke built one and posted it on this site.

I was digging through my stash and came up with an idea. Since I'm real short on time I needed a 'throw together. How about a Tony in Luftwaffe markings, or a 109 in Japanese? I'm not going to bother with a backstory, just 'git 'er done'. The airframes are similar enough to look off but not instantly recognizable, and I think the Tony would outperform the 109 in combat. It would have been an interesting battle scenario where ETO allied aircraft are suddenly facing a Japanese aircraft (with a German pilot), or PTO allies are pitting say Wildcats or Corsairs against 109s. The Brits had our Wildcats and Corsairs for awhile, but they were used to facing 109's and Focke-Wulfs. Our PTO Navy/Marine pilots weren't. Work with me here... This is the first aircraft build I've done in a few years, and probably my last.

The Japanese actually did get a 109E for evaluation. It is in standard German paints but with Japanese markings. There are lots of photos on net of it.

Hellcats of the FAA faced 190s over Norway. There is at least one Hellcat with a 190 kill.

Well sh** -- I suppose there are pics of a Luftwaffe marked 'Tony' or Zero too?

Nope. It was a one way street. The Tony actually had a Japanese copy of the DB601 or 603 engine. The Japanese had real trouble developing a home made inline engine.

I've seen a Stirling in Nazi markings. Can a Lancaster be far behind?

Wasn't the airliner version of the Lancaster called the "Lancastrian"?