New Year.....New Built!!!!

Mark Aldrich

Thanks to a Double Dog Dare, I have to have a aircraft built and entered into the Florida Nats. My choice is the ever popular P-40! The Cutoff will be the start of the Nats. Can't make it any longer because I have to have it done. If you feel like joining in please feel free to do so!!!

Here is is entry......

100_4232.jpg

Duke,

Just a simple Double Dog Dare. It was originally, suppose to be whoever won at the NATS. Now it is basically, if the other doesn't enter, he buys the dinner!!

Mark,

Might I recommend that if you want to build a 48th P-40, you reconsider your kit choice. The Hobbycraft kit can be a challenge from what I have heard. If you want to do a 48th P-40B you can go Trumpy and if you want to do a P-40E you could go with Hasegawa. Just my 2 cents.

David,

Appreciate the input but I am a little too far along to be looking for another kit. Hopefully I can master the challenge.

So.....is the challenge for this "group build" to build a P-40, to build an a/c, or to build something outside your "comfort" zone, and enter it at the Nats?

I'll also echo David's sentiments on 1/48 P-40's. You can take that aftermarket stuff, throw it into the older Monogram P-40B, rescribe the model, and probably do no more work than getting THAT kit to look as good (been der-done dat!). But any way you cut it, you've got your work cut out for you if you're gonna build a 1/48 P-40B. Cheers!

GIL :smiley16:

Gil,

P-40 build. Anytime I build aircraft I build outside my comfort zone. Well, I guess I have my work cut out for me.

• 5 weeks later...

First set back, The Legend interior is NOT designed for the Modelcraft kit. After sanding all the detail away, not a single piece fits. Luckily I found one that states it is for the Hobbycraft kit. I believe it is made by True Details. We'll see in a week or so. Guess I will work on something else or assemble parts that can be done until it arrives. I so HATE airplanes!!!!

Edited by Mark Aldrich

Seriously! A Armor guy building a plane. AHHHHHHHHHHHH the Armor Gods are in a uproar. All is lost. :smiley34: :gray-plane: :smiley34:

Not only do you need to enter you better win I Triple Dog Dare you!!!!!!! :Smile_sceptic:

Great....Getting kinda sick of these dares!!!! I should have just went OOTB. However, Something I learned was that OOTB is almost like doing a review build. There is only so much you can add and to me.....that means not making it look as realistic as I can. probably go home tonight and see if the exhaust stacks will work.

• 4 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

Well, got the insides greened and washed. Gonna clean it up tonight and while I am waiting for my 1/48 instrument decals to arrive, I might start gluing the hull (ooppsssss.....FUSELAGE halves) together. Hope to have some more pictures over the weekend.

Edited by Mark Aldrich

• 2 weeks later...

Got the cockpit finished. The bulkhead wall has been carefully fixed and the instrument decals made it absolutely gorgeous. Basic sanding and finishing on the fuselage and wings has also begun.

100_4441.jpg

100_4440.jpg

100_4439.jpg

100_4442.jpg

:Smile_sceptic:

Edited by Mark Aldrich

Thanks,

The Airscale instrument faces really make it pop! Wish they were colorized!!!!

Edited by Mark Aldrich

Mark, for what its worth I built that kit a few times and personally I like it better than the old Monogram standby and ten times better than the newer Trumpeter kit. Hobby Craft has always been the redheaded step child and really never gets a fair break. Don't be put off by the negative vibes I won a few awards with redheaded Hobby Craft step kids err...kits.

P.S. more pictures please.

I agree Greg. No issues with assembly! Mine were self inflicted by trying to use the Legend cockpit set. The True Details set was a little gem. The wings to fuselage joint is almost non-existent. I might need a little sanding and that should do it.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...

Greg,

Can't update what I haven't done. The Monster kept me pretty busy the last couple weeks.

Greg,

You made me feel sooooo bad!!!! I have actually almost finished the wash and may be able to post some pics this weekend! WIth the NATS only 52 days away, I need to finish it!!!