uneven coat ?

burner12

I keep getting an uneven coat when i paint the horney i am working on. i have painted it twice and the first time gave me some light and other dark areas. so i shot it again and was slightly better,but still had a slight mix of light and dark. Is this an issue of texture that can be fixed with sand paper, or is it a color issue? i am baffled.

Well, I'll play Captain Obvious...

1) Are you sure your paint is thoroughly mixed? Also, if your painting session is going long, you may need to stir again, as some paint tends to separate a bit after a short time.

2) Is there any variation in the undercoat (primed/unprimed areas)? Applying paint over varied colors surfaces can cause the next coat to vary in tint. Of course, this is the basis for pre-shading, and can be used to your advantage!

3) You may be applying more paint in some areas than others. This will show up as differing tints, especially if your paint is thin to begin with.

I wouldn't try to sand the paint, as that would (IMO) simply remove paint unevenly, exacerbating the problem. In the end, most models look a little better with some slight variations in the surface color (less monotone); and USN planes are KNOWN for their "mottled" finish!

If the above doesn't seem to cover your problem, hopefully someone more knowledgeable will be along shortly!

GIL :smiley16: