50th ANNIVERSARY OF THE FOUNDING OF IPMS

Hi all IPMS members.... 2013 will be the 50th anniversary of the original founding of IPMS.

It all started off with a small group of plastic modelling enthusiasts in London in 1963 getting together to form the fledgeling British Plastic Modellers Society. Interest from overseas quickly forced a rethink about the name and so the International Plastic Modellers Society was created.

I believe that IPMS UK will be hosting something special at their Scale Modelworld Show at Telford in the UK in November.2013 to celebrate the society's half century. It is a little way off yet. Plenty of time for our friends in IPMS USA to plan a trip over. We have many IPMS members from European Branches visiting each year, so it would be nice to see some American IPMS members attend as well for this special event.

To add more detail....while the BPMS, later to be renamed the IPMS-UK, was founded in '63, IPMS-USA was founded in 1964. This is documented in notes from the IPMS-USA Founder, Jim Sage. The first club to receive an IPMS-USA Charter was IPMS Seattle. Jim's home chapter at the time, now known as IPMS-North Central Texas, rightfully claims the title of the birthplace of IPMS-USA (due to Jim's local membership in NCT).

IPMS-USA will celebrate the Big Five OH one year behind IPMS-UK. We'll be 50 in 2014. Yea!

Actually, a 50th Anniversary Committee was established just prior to the convention in Omaha and that committee is charged with the development of the celebration of the anniversary.

Don't get too excited yet, but we may be bringing back the World Modeling Tour to take a group of US modelers to the 2013 UK show in Telford. Stay tuned for updates.

Don't get too excited yet, but we may be bringing back the World Modeling Tour to take a group of US modelers to the 2013 UK show in Telford. Stay tuned for updates.

That sounds like the only way I could go. But since there's so many more Masters above me that can represent IPMS USA better, I can write this off.

Can't wait to hear how this goes.

Whoa Marc! You've got the entirely wrong idea. The trip to the UK Nats is for YOUR fun, and in NO way is meant to serve as being a representative delegation from the former colonies! In fact, to MY mind YOU'D be one of the BEST representatives for IPMSUSA and model building in general. Your love of the hobby and your fellow model builders shines through; and what more could any organization ask for?

The only roadblock is money, and if Ron and the guys can put together their package, it WILL be the most affordable chance for people like us to be able to get across the pond. Start trying to save your money NOW!

GIL :smiley16:

Mark,

Gil's right on. You are just the sort of guy the World Modeling Tour is designed for. No one could appreciate the English Scale Model World show more than you. 99% of the models on display are not in competition, but rather in club and SIG displays. We're a long way from having any prices yet, but it is by far the most economical and easiest way to see an incredible number of excellent museums, historic sites and take in this huge model show. For you and all of a similar approach to modeling, start saving your pennies now, it will be well worth the investment!

I can try to save up, but I work for myself. I don't get paid unless I get called. Sometimes I don't get called for months. My 'business' only makes $2500 a year on a good year!

Thanks for the encouragement guys. I'll see what I can do. I can only hope I get loads of big jobs this coming year.

• 9 months later...

IPMS UK's 50th anniversary is a celebration of all who enjoy our marvellous hobby. It does not matter a jot what the ability of the modeller is. The main thing is having fun and making friends through our mutual interests. Hopefully many of our friends from 'across the pond' will be able to visit the show and possibly also visit some of our fine places of interest whilst here.

Currently I'm working through IPMS/UK. They were planning of doing a tour for internationals coming to the UK. We're hoping to piggy-back on their tour. It would also involve IPMS/Canada. That means we'd have a better chance of reaching the minimum numbers needed by tour companies to make a tour fiscally possible. We've got a basic itinerary worked out and it covers a LOT of ground. Lots for aircraft guys, but plenty for ship builders and military vehicle guys as well, never mind all the basic sight seeing that's possible I hope to get an ad on this web site and into the Journal sometime early in the new year. Keep your eyes peeled and start saving your pennies and return those deposit bottles and cans.

The first club to receive an IPMS-USA Charter was IPMS Seattle. Jim's home chapter at the time, now known as IPMS-North Central Texas, rightfully claims the title of the birthplace of IPMS-USA (due to Jim's local membership in NCT).

I am now confused. Was Jim a "member" of the club formed in Seattle at the time?

Why would a move from Seattle to DFW change which chapter was first?

The first club to receive an IPMS-USA Charter was IPMS Seattle. Jim's home chapter at the time, now known as IPMS-North Central Texas, rightfully claims the title of the birthplace of IPMS-USA (due to Jim's local membership in NCT).

I am now confused. Was Jim a "member" of the club formed in Seattle at the time?

Why would a move from Seattle to DFW change which chapter was first?

I think what he meant was that Jim's home chapter at the time, IPMS-North Central Texas, was the birthplace for IPMS/USA. After it got started there, IPMS Seattle was the first chapter outside of IPMS-North Central Texas to be chartered under the new IPMS/USA organization. I don't think he meant to imply that Jim was a member of Seattle. It did kind of read that way though, so I hope I am right. I'm sure he'll clear things up.