Sheen Values For Ordnance

dhamilton

Ok guys, here's a question I haven't seen kicked around before, so I'll ask it. What sheen values do modern US missles, bombs and the like have? By sheen values I mean flat, low luster, eggshell, semi-gloss, or gloss finishes.

I've never seen this information published any place, and wonder what values everyone uses when they add the bombs and rockets. Maybe I've just missed it, but any light that could be shed on this subject would be apprecaited.

Thanks!!

Doug

Ok guys, here's a question I haven't seen kicked around before, so I'll ask it. What sheen values do modern US missles, bombs and the like have? By sheen values I mean flat, low luster, eggshell, semi-gloss, or gloss finishes.

I've never seen this information published any place, and wonder what values everyone uses when they add the bombs and rockets. Maybe I've just missed it, but any light that could be shed on this subject would be apprecaited.

Thanks!!

Doug

I'm not sure about modern weapons as I retired in 82 and there have been alot of changes. Bombs are rough surface no-sheen,however the tailfins could be slick finish and a slight sheen. The older WWII bombs were actually a lighter olive drab I think from just aged finish and the tailfins were slightly lighter with a flat finish. Most missles are semi-gloss white. The missle warheads are usually flat. Nukes tend to have a higher gloss finish as they spend alot of time being cleaned and caressed. This is just my remembrance from my 23 years humping Naval ordnance up and down flightdecks.

Hey Dougie! As you ponted out, there doesn't seem to be much "technical" info covering that subject, so how's someone going to prove you wrong!? :smiley2:

I'd simply follow two guidelines. First, look at the available pics and copy that to you're own criteria. Second, I would try to avoid a large contrast between any finish on the stores and the finish of the model. Even if one is flat and the other glossy, I'd still try to keep it within the bounds of "scale appearance". Of course that can be tough until you've got the whole thing together and can view it as if you were looking at the real thing from 75ft (but you get the idea). Best of luck!

GIL :smiley16:

Doug,

From what I see here at Shaw Transient Alert, air-to-air & air-to-mud missiles are generaly semi-gloss to flat. Bombs are like mentioned above, very rough, so are very flat, but the fins are semi-gloss to flat. I remember during Desert Storm, we opened up AGM-65 Maverick caskets and they were almost a gloss white, but the other ones painted green were almost dead flat. Hope this helps.

Timmy

Hey Dougie!

I'm working now with some LGB's and the LGTR: the LGTR rounds are a mostly consistant flat blue, but there are chrome canards for steering. Sometimes the flat has a very slight sheen, but it is NOT gloss by any means.

Same goes for the LGB's. Overall they are flat (grey) but at times there is a rare sheen to some of them (depending on the original paint). The shipping cases are much the same for the LGB - flat green with a slight sheet to some.

Happy Holidays!

Tim

• 2 weeks later...