Enterprise NCC-1701 from TOS

trekriffic

Here are some pics taken of my AMT 18" Enterprise I finished back in 2005. This represents the Enterprise on year 5 of it's 5 year mission with upgrades having been made to the saucer, bussard sensors and main deflector dish. The model took about a year from start to finish and is fully lit with a detailed scratch-built shuttle bay and Galileo shuttle. The model is weathered to resemble the studio model in it's current state at the Smithsonian, as such, critics of the restoration performed by Ed Miarecki may consider it overweathered. My intent; however, was to build a model with some character in an effort to differentiate it from other builds of this kit.

On it's cherrywood stand:

AMT1701StbdonStand.jpg

Nameplate;

Nameplate.jpg

More pics:

AMT1701PortProfile.jpg

AMT1701BowPortQtr.jpg

AMT1701BowOn.jpg

AMT1701SternOn.jpg

AMT1701AboveStern.jpg

AMT1701SaucerVentral.jpg

AMT1701SternVentral.jpg

AMT1701ShuttleBayDoorsOpen.jpg

GalileoinHangarDetail.jpg

Detail PIcs (the engines spin):

WarpEngineGlow.jpg

SaucerVentralDetail.jpg

DeflectorDishDetail.jpg

BussardDetail.jpg

AMT1701SaucerProfile.jpg

AMT1701SecHullProfile.jpg

AMT1701RearNacelleProfile.jpg

In the dark:

AMT1701BowIllum.jpg

Edited by trekriffic

These are some pics I took in my garage using my starfield backdrop. I had originally taken these in very low light and when I saved them to my PC they were extemely dark, virtually black. Thinking they were unsalvageable I filed them away for years until rediscovering them and finding out they could be lightened and the contrast adjusted to render something presentable after all! These may look better or worse to you, the viewer, depending on the brightness settings on your computer monitor.

EnterpriseFlankSpeed.jpg

EnterpriseBowOnBeautyShot.jpg

Enterprise1701StarboardSide.jpg

EnterpriseUnderSaucer.jpg

HangarBayOpening.jpg

EnterpriseSternDorsal2.jpg

EnterpriseStarboardProfile-1.jpg

EnterpriseRear.jpg

This picture was taken by my dentist with his "mouth" camera:

DSCN0970.jpg

Great build, and it does look like I remember the big model being. Nice work.

Imo, The biggest problem with the weathering on the Smithsonian display is that they don't have it bleached out by 17,000 watts of studio lighting.

Very nice model.

How did you make the two panels on the secondary hull (where the pennants on the port and starboard side are located) recessed? The AMT kit has those panels proud of the secondary hull.

Very nice model.

How did you make the two panels on the secondary hull (where the pennants on the port and starboard side are located) recessed? The AMT kit has those panels proud of the secondary hull.

I used a straight edge, an X-Acto chisel blade, a flat file, and sanding sticks to make recessed slots. Took some time but I was pretty happy with the slots when I finished. I used the secondary hull parts from the Polar Lights 1/1000 kit for reference.

Edited by trekriffic

Great build, and it does look like I remember the big model being. Nice work.

Imo, The biggest problem with the weathering on the Smithsonian display is that they don't have it bleached out by 17,000 watts of studio lighting.

In fact, that's one of the points Ed Miarecki tried to make. He contended that under bright studio lights much of the weathering would be washed out. I wish theree were a way to test that theory.

Edited by trekriffic

Well done. Interesting choices. It's your model, so make it however you like. But trying to suggest that the model used in the original series looked like this is rewriting history to justify your choice, and that's not cool. Nice model, and yes, it looks like the Smithsonian model, but the OS Enterprise was definitely NOT painted like that.

Well done. Interesting choices. It's your model, so make it however you like. But trying to suggest that the model used in the original series looked like this is rewriting history to justify your choice, and that's not cool. Nice model, and yes, it looks like the Smithsonian model, but the OS Enterprise was definitely NOT painted like that.

I agree with you. The modifications I made along with the inaccuracies inherent in the kit pretty much eliminated any chance of calling this model screen accurate. In hindsight, I definitely think Miarecki went over the line in his hubris with the heavy-handed weathering scheme. At the time I built this model; however, I was not aware of all the controversy surrounding the work he performed during the restoration and just wanted it to look cool.

Edited by trekriffic