Retro Red Planet diorama

trekriffic

Here are some pics of a Martian diorama I finished a few years ago. The ship on the right is the Glencoe Mars Liner kit reissued several years ago. The ship on the left is a retro-50's inspired spaceplane I scratched from an F16 Eagle snapkit and a dollar store booklight. The backdrop depicts the Olympus Mons escarpment on Mars with the two ships having made an emergency landing after a near fatal encounter with the asteroid belt. This dio won the "Best Diorama" award in the 2009 "Wiffie" modeling contest over on the What If forum.

IMG_1200.jpg

IMG_1235.jpg

IMG_1224.jpg

IMG_1233.jpg

IMG_1222.jpg

2009Wiffie-BestDiorama.jpg

Edited by trekriffic

Evidently the guys in the black helicopters decided that your pics shouldn't be shown to the public for fear of the secret would be out! :smiley4:

GIL :smiley16:

Sorry. First time posting here so took me a sec to figure out what was wrong. You should be able to see them now.

You can see more pics in on my Photobucket album here (including quite a few WIP photos):

http://s146.photobucket.com/albums/r259/Trekriffic/Martian%20Diorama/

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

Very martainy(?)!!! It really captures the look of the "RED PLANET". Is the TWA ship lit up or are the little blue lights just MV lenses? COOL!

Bill

The TWA Mars Liner is lit. Here's the lighting assembly made from booklight parts and an empty xacto blade tube::

IMG_0911.jpg

The booklight:

IMG_0910.jpg

Edited by trekriffic

Good job on the ships, I really like this dio. Any green Martian head hiding behind a rock somehwere? ;)

Funny! I'd thoguht about taking a few more pics with a Martian poking it's head out from behind the rocks but never got around to it.

Here's another pic of the two ships side-by-side:

IMG_1159.jpg