1992/93? Monogram Jeep Wrangler......Jurassic Park

noelsmith

Does anybody know if a set of after market Jurassic Park Decals was ever made for this kit? As far as I am aware Monogram never issued the Jeep kit in Jurassic Park livery.

• 1 month later...

From what I remember and have on hand, Lindberg did the original JP1 kits. The only vehicle they did was the Ford Explorer in their odd 1/20th scale. It was supposed to be the one the kids were in when attacked by the T-rex, but it wasn't even close. It was just their standard 2-door Explorer with JP decals and not the 4-door with raised observation roof. I don't think they made the kit of the Jeep "Newman" was using to steal dino stuff.

Revell-Monogram did the dino-capturing HMMWV and the Mercedes M Class as snap-tite kits in 1/25 scale for the second movie, The Lost World. The M Class was a pretty nice little kit but covered with guard bars all around the sides. The T-rex still ate the driver dude though.

I remember the JP2 Snaptite kits.

Looks like Revell/Monogram missed a trick with the Jeep Wrangler though.

All it needed was a set of decals.

I'm not up on my Jeep types, but I thought the old Monogram Jeep was from the 80s and the JP Jeep would have been 1993 vintage. Revell-Monogram had the second movie, and that didn't take place on JP, but on the "other island". I don't believe the second movie vehicles had JP logos on them as they were trespassers.

Hi Robin. I think that Monogram may have made some different Jeep year models at different times so you are probably right about the 80's model.

Maybe I'm wrong, but I still have a feeling that they brought out a 1992/3 version as well with the rectangular headlamps.

Can anyone confirm this?

I hd two Monogram Jeep kits as a kid, both were essentially the same kit. My favorite was a yellow Jeep that had an off-road package with roll bars and a canvas cover that was molded to the top of the roll bars and made to look like it was tied in place. The second kit was a clearance priced blue "Mork & Mindy" Jeep that was essentially the same kit minus the cool off-road fittings. I'm not sure but I think the blue one was also issued without the TV tie-in but with a hardtop and doors.

As far as newer 1990s era Jeeps, I have no clue. I had long since stopped concentrating on car kits by then.

I did find the boxtop of my favorite Jeep kit via google. Mine definitely did not look as good as the photos on the box, but I loved that kit. I think the last civilian Jeep I bought was the MPC re-pop by AMT/Ertl of the Daisy Duke Jeep (another clearance purchase). That kit never saw the light of day after I bought it. I've still got it somewhere, but it's probably next to the Ark at Area 51.

monogram-jeepcj7offroad.JPG

This is the hardtop version I remember my friend having. I know this kit got re-popped in the 1990s as a 2 in 1 kit probably by including the hardtop and off road fittings. The 2 in 1 version was omni-present at arts and crafts stores like Michael's, Ben Franklin's, Craft's Etc. back in the 1990s.

monogram-jeepcj7.JPG

This is the Mork & Mindy one I had. I seem to recall the kit details didn't quite match the TV show stills on the box sides.

mongram-morkmindyjeep.JPG

All this Jeep talk is making me wonder where that Duke's Jeep is.

Here's the 2 in 1 Jeep they used to sell widely. The auction description says 1979 year, but I don't know enough about Jeeps to tell. I do think this is probably virtually the same kit I built in the yellow and blue molds.

$(KGrHqNHJCsE7BcvhhCgBO6(HV25Kw~~60_3.JPG

Thanks for the further feedback Robin, it looks as though you are right and I will have to look at converting one of the ones that you have shown boxtops of. Bodywork not too difficult to do but the wheels are different on the 1992/3 versions.

I know Tamiya issued a neat Jeep in 1/24 scale. Again, I do not know what the model year is. It's been out for a while. I remember getting sticker shock when I saw one on the shelf at a local hobby shop years ago and never daring to look at the box ever again. Some more ebaying turns up this box top. It's been ages since I've seen the original JP movie (I took my kids to see it at the PX movie theater the night my daughter was born, so it's been over 18 years). I don't remember what the Jeep looked like other than it was silver with a black top (don't know if it was hard or soft) and that Seinfeld's Newman bought it in the Jeep.

$(KGrHqRHJBME63Uw3JL(BO6rQNtO1Q~~60_3.JPG

Robin You are brilliant! Thanks for taking the time to check this out. That's the one!

I was absolutely convinced that Monogram did it!

Now that I know that is a Tamiya kit, I may be able to track one down here in the UK or on ebay.

Kind regards Noel

Glad to help. I don't know much about civilian Jeeps, but I knew that Monogram had basically only one in this scale and that it was ancient. I have built a couple of Tamiya car kits and they are very nice, but I don't recall the ones I built as having engines; something most American car models came with.

My buddy Gavin Anderson did a dio with the 32nd scale snap and the Tamiya T-rex chasing it. He detailed some figures and named it "things in the mirror are closer than they appear". Looks like the pics I had died in the last hard drive crash but it was fantastic.

Noel, while searching for my Daisy Duke Jeep for someone else, I ran across the JP Mercedes M Class snap tite kit. I'll take a look inside and see if it comes with JP markings.

• 3 weeks later...