Italeri F-4S VF-301 "Heater-Ferris" - 1/72

DaveDeLang

Here's my latest completion, only four months in the making

It's the oldish Italeri F-4S using the kit's VF-301 Heater Ferris markings.

Cockpit is the kit's heavily modified and detailed. It's probably the weakest point on the kit. Inaccurate for a Navy Phantom and missing a lot of detail and basic structure. There's not even a bulkhead between the cockpits. The consoles are too short and don't reach either the front or the back of their respective cockpits. I fixed it all up as best I could with card, rod, foil... Seats are the kit's too, they're not sooooo bad stock but I fixed them up too.

This picture is of how I used a cheap laser level to lay out the lines of the paint scheme. Since the lines are straight when viewed from above, they actually have to curve over the sides in order to look straight from above. The level worked really well, 20 bucks well spent. I may even use it to lay out some shelves or something in the house...

p1010048fw.jpg

Here are a couple of shots taken after painting and decaling but before final assembly. It shows the canopies before I pried them off to put the seats in and pose them open and the bottom showing the unbroken "false canopy" before I pulled the landing gear doors off. It also shows how well the landing gear doors fit. If you want to build a "wheels up" Phantom, this is probably the kit to use, They fit absolutely perfectly.

p1010061d.jpg

p1010059lw.jpg

And the final product:

p1010066tn.jpg

p1010065n.jpg

p1010064o.jpg

p1010062u.jpg

p1010063se.jpg

Same here. I have that kit along with aftermarket decals. So it looks like a trip to Lowe's is in order very soon for that laser.

Thanks for the idea & well done.

Edited by TimDarrah

• 1 month later...

Dave,

Nice build. The paint scheme is very cool. Great idea to use the laser to line up the camo demarcation

Edited by ironhand64

That is one of my favorite paint schemes for a F-4. You did a great job on it. I put that scheme on the very old Revell "J" model, back when that kit was out for my uncle. The only reference was one or two pictures I had from an Air Combat magazine. This bring back alot of those memories of trying to recreate that photo. I hand painted the tail markings and used red decal stripes for the arrow on the tail. Oh what fun.