Back Online

Eric Aitala

Eric,

the new version looks great. Thanks for all of your hard work.

Tim

Yes. This looks great! Nice work. Of course, my immediate reaction was sheer terror when I saw something on an electronic device I did not recognize. But, even I was able to figure it out quickly! You must be doing something right to make it user friendly for an old man like me. Congrats. Nick Filippone

Have to disagree. Liked the old blue better. But as long as it remains easy.....I can get used to it! Keep up the GREAT work!!!

Edited by Mark Aldrich

I just discovered that I can no longer sign in on my older laptop with Windows XP and IE7. I can get to the Sign In button on the DF. The text box appears all the way down at the bottom of all the topics and list of members who have signed in. If I get the flashing cursor at all in the sign in box (which I usually do not), I can enter my sign in name and get the password line to appear. After this, it refuses to accept the Enter click, and the screen is locked. I have to use the Back arrow to get to the Home screen. I've depended on this old laptop for years to get me into the website when I travel. As for my desktop with Windows Me and IE6, I can't even open the Discussion Forum at all.

So, two of my three computers are useless for participating on the DF. The third one (the one I'm using here) has Windows 7 and IE9. On this machine I made the mistake of upgrading to IE9 from IE8, and my e-mail no longer functions properly. I can't attach a file to a message, cancel a message I've decided to end, or get confirmation that an e-mail I've sent is actually sent. Then I can't close the e-mail without going all the way back to Home.

This is progress? Annoyance and frustration are more descriptive. Long ago I heard a saying that the sole purpose of a machine is to frustrate human desire and to create two problems for every one it solves. That's the case here!

Ed

HI,

I will try to check the Forums tomorrow at the office with WinXP and IE 7 - my machine here is Win7.

WinMe and IE 6 are a complete nightmare to support at this point - I don't think even Microsoft does anymore. IE6 has been pretty much been declared dead by the web community given its inability to follow web standards and discontinued support by Microsoft.

I can also look into other themes which might prove easier for older browsers to deal with...

Eric

I just discovered that I can no longer sign in on my older laptop with Windows XP and IE7. I can get to the Sign In button on the DF. The text box appears all the way down at the bottom of all the topics and list of members who have signed in. If I get the flashing cursor at all in the sign in box (which I usually do not), I can enter my sign in name and get the password line to appear. After this, it refuses to accept the Enter click, and the screen is locked. I have to use the Back arrow to get to the Home screen. I've depended on this old laptop for years to get me into the website when I travel. As for my desktop with Windows Me and IE6, I can't even open the Discussion Forum at all.

So, two of my three computers are useless for participating on the DF. The third one (the one I'm using here) has Windows 7 and IE9. On this machine I made the mistake of upgrading to IE9 from IE8, and my e-mail no longer functions properly. I can't attach a file to a message, cancel a message I've decided to end, or get confirmation that an e-mail I've sent is actually sent. Then I can't close the e-mail without going all the way back to Home.

This is progress? Annoyance and frustration are more descriptive. Long ago I heard a saying that the sole purpose of a machine is to frustrate human desire and to create two problems for every one it solves. That's the case here!

Ed

Ed,

See if you can log in from http://forum.ipmsusa...ogin&do=process

I don't see any issues with IE7 and Windows XP... you may need to flush your browser cache. Also, you could probably update to IE8 which should work just fine and given that there have been a number of important security updates, it might be a good idea.

Eric

At the bottom of the page is a 'Mark Community Read' link which will give you a popup the will let you "Mark all as Read" which should help.

Also on the New Content page, you can sort the topics viewed by clicking on the various choices on the left, such as "Past 24 hours", "Just items I follow", etc.

Eric

It's taken a little getting used to to relearn where everything I use is.....but I seem to have gotten the hang of things. The one thing I don't like is the way it now posts pics as you write a post. The screen is so "tight" it's tough to position the cursor around the pics, unless you plan a little ahead. I've figured out how to work around it, but the old format was easier! Also, the emoticons have to be activated for each post, while the old format would do that continually once you activated them the first time.

I hope this "new" format offers some kind of advantage to someone (moderators? web admin folks?); but I don't see anything that's more advantageous or easier to those of us who simply browse and post here!

GIL :smiley16:

I haven't posted pics yet, so I'm not sure what the issue there is. But when I'm on the 'New Topic' page, the little button that enables emoticons is already checked...

Eric

This is definitely different and I like some aspects of this new Forum. It does take a bit of getting used to though.

I'm not sure this is really an issue, or if it is a one-time thing...yet.

I'm not getting any e-mail notifications when someone responds to any Threads I'm watching; despite the Forums saying "You are already watching this topic". I had two responses to my Workbench Thread I never got a heads up for. This may be a one-time thing though; I won't know till I check the topic again.

HI,

Check your settings to see if email notifications are enabled. Click your name at the top of the Forums to get to the Settings Page.

Eric

This is definitely different and I like some aspects of this new Forum. It does take a bit of getting used to though.

I'm not sure this is really an issue, or if it is a one-time thing...yet.

I'm not getting any e-mail notifications when someone responds to any Threads I'm watching; despite the Forums saying "You are already watching this topic". I had two responses to my Workbench Thread I never got a heads up for. This may be a one-time thing though; I won't know till I check the topic again.