Blasphemy?

ClareWentzel

Have you guys ever wanted to add a model to your collection but haven’t really gotten around to building it? I have always liked the FW-190D models with the red and white striped undersurfaces but it is a long way down on my build priorities.

The other day at Hobby Lobby, I saw some pre-painted plastic 1/72 models. One was the 190 that I liked. I figured, “what the hell, let’s see what we can do with thisâ€. With the 40% coupon, it cost about $10 so I bought one.

Here is how it looked OOB.

Dora-orig.jpg

First, I added some swastikas to the tail. Then, looking at the model, I was some fairly nice engraved panel lines so I tried to bring them out a little. I used a product called Warpig Wash but any good wash will work. I did have to re-scribe a few of the lines. The cockpit was a box with a seat added so I tried to pop the canopy off. I was pleasantly surprised that the canopy was split so that I could model it in the open condition. I added some seat belts to the seat and an instrument panel decal to the front of the box to spruce it up a little. I didn’t want to do any repainting so I didn’t try to fix some of the joints but I did break off one of the horizontal stabilizers and glued it on straight. The other thing that I wanted to change was the prop spinner. My references called for it to be red and white instead of black green. I was able to pry the prop off and paint it. Here is how it looks now.

Dora-01.jpg

Dora-02.jpg

Ready to receive your slings and arrows. :smiley16:

Clare, it looks good to me...and YOU like it, which is what counts.

I remember an FSM article from a few years ago...someone took the toy German pusher airplane from the Raiders of the Lost Ark, and did a tear-down-and-do-it-better-build on the thing...it came out looking great!!

There's no blasphemy in having fun! If you haven't told me it was prepainted, I wouldn't have guessed, especially after you improved it. It's a great looking model. It may be debatable as to whether you could enter it in a contest; but then we don't have to build EVERY model for a contest do we? Looks like you came up with a way to save time and yet get a model you always wanted on your shelf! Thanks for posting!

GIL :smiley16:

It may be debatable as to whether you could enter it in a contest; but then we don't have to build EVERY model for a contest do we? Looks like you came up with a way to save time and yet get a model you always wanted on your shelf! Thanks for posting!

GIL :smiley16:

Come on Gil, you should know me better then that. I would never enter this in a contest but it is on my shelf.

Nothing wrong with this project Clare. It looks fanstatic. I also have the Raiders flying wing with thoughts of replicating the FSM article. These types of projects are great to getting out of a slump.

Question, does anyone know of any authentic explanation of why the airplane had the garish red and white bottom? I'm guessing it was because late in the war the Luftwaffe fighter force had trouble identifying themselves to their own anti-aircraft fire when returning to base.

Best wishes to everyone for the Christmas season...

Fred Horky

IPMS# 6390

Question, does anyone know of any authentic explanation of why the airplane had the garish red and white bottom? I'm guessing it was because late in the war the Luftwaffe fighter force had trouble identifying themselves to their own anti-aircraft fire when returning to base.

Best wishes to everyone for the Christmas season...

Fred Horky

IPMS# 6390

Fred, You are correct. The colorful underside was applied to the D-9 series for ID purposes. They protected the 262's while taking off from their airfields from allied attack. The 88's would know who to shoot at and who not to.

Andy