I Have Been Challenged!

Kranman

At our recent chapter meeting, I was expressing my concern about the 'funk' I've been in regarding modeling in general. I was challenged (in a friendly way) by a fellow member to build a subject I like, that I'm familiar with - for a future competition. Spring is far enough away, allowing enough time to get said project finished so I decided to take up the challenge and jump into the fray. Now, it"ll be either USMC armor (perhaps an M32B2 conversion or an M3 halftrack) or a modern USN jet (probably an F-4 or and F-14). I may live to regret my choices as I'm prone to get bogged down, mid-build; I must fight the urge to do that so this will be a bigger challenge than my fellow club member realizes... Whether the model places or remains a jumbled mass of mistakes, it won't matter; it will have served its purpose to get me off my duff and get something built.

Now, since this will be for competition, I'll have to get my game face on; references and aftermarket will be the order of the day and perhaps some mild scratchbuilding if the M32 is chosen. This isn't a problem as I have plentiful references and enjoy doing a little research in an effort to render a more realistic model. (Before anyone pipes-up that OOB is viable, let's just say that for competing, I disagree and let's leave it at that; that's another discussion.)

I hope to make my choice this weekend and start forthwith. I'll post photos as things progress (in the 'On the Bench' forum) to keep you apprised. Mental health comments will be posted here to let you know how the funk is being handled. Words of encouragement would be welcome but brutal honesty towards my efforts would be prized. That said, I am very thick skinned and can take negative comments but please spin it in a positive way: guide me to your references so I may correct my error and we all gain some knowledge in the process. Simply telling me something is wrong won't cut it.

Okay! Everyone have a Happy Thanksgiving! I'll post next when I choose a subject and clear the bench so I can get started...

Frank

Frank,

As a further challenge, once you know your subject, consider a group build postying in that section. You might get some fellow modelers to join in and help in your "mid-build" issues! Best of luck either way!

Mark

Cool! Sounds like it might be the spark to get that fire burning to build. I have been on a building halt for most of the year but that is partially due to a new baby 5 months ago.

I have on many occasions at our club meetings offered up a challange build model to any member to build the it in a month or two. The only stipulation is that it gets done with in the time frame and you can build it up in whatever color or scheme (pink me-109 anyone?). If you don't finish it in the time frame you 'pledge' a nominal fee to the club, say $5-$10.

Most people that take on and complete the challange, some folks not so much but the bottom line is it's a fun thing to do at the meetings and the other is that it gets people to build!

• 2 weeks later...

Frank,

Might I humbly suggest a different approach? Pick a kit of recent vintage (Say, released in the last five years) from a major manufacturer. Make it something that is outside of your normal building area. Try to pick a simple kit without too many parts. (Subs and AT/AA guns work for me) and build it out of the box. From personal experience, I can tell you this is the cure for AMS or the modeling funk.

Love Challenges! Mad Mike and I have a "Double Dog Dare" for Florida! Looking forward to it!!!

So I'm Mad now? Well, I suppose that's something a lot of people have know for a long time. And to further demonstrate my madness, what exactly was my half of the double dog challenge? Wasn't it something like you have to enter an airplane (and I'm supply the base) and I have to enter an armor piece? And wasn't there something about the cost of dinner if one of us doesn't get his entry done?

As we are both modelers and WILL each get it done, I think we may need to do the "placement for dinner", However, as the awards are on Saturday evening and there will be little time to go anywhere, we may want to renegotiate the terms.

Hmmmm, interesting conundrum. I can see two possible solutions:

1) We find a way to bribe the appropriate judges and get the results for the two applicable models a touch early and make it lunch on Saturday, or three drinks at the bar following the awards.

or

2) We each find 3 random modelers who don't know either of us (I SWEAR, he doesn't know me!) and ask them to determine which model is "better" on Friday afternoon and the debt is paid that night at dinner.

HaHa!!!! Both good suggestions! I'm for just finding a place and hang out with our better halfs! Of course, I may have to pull mine out of the vendor room/rooms though!!!

:drillsergeant:

Edited by Mark Aldrich

Works for me! The good news for me is that my better half has ABSOLUTELY NO interest in models, so I won't have to pull her out of the vendor room(s). Bad news is that given the surroundings, I might have to pull her out of someplace even more expensive!