my first diorama

GregWise

Greg,

I like the look of the kit. A lot of possible diarama's there. If you asking for advise as to finish the diarama, here is my two cents. First add more rubble to the inside of the building, including the upper floor. Add the electrical power line that feeds the tramcar. Finally hand paint at randon different cobblestones different colors. Then do a series of darker/lighter washes ,followed up with pigment dust to give it a more natrual look. Cobblestones never look the same. Even when they are close they are different. Very nice job on the armor car by the way. Are you going to add figures? What is the story line?

Chris

"What's the story line?" would also be my first question. That might help you determine what other items need to be added, as well as any additional detailing that might be desired.

If the focus of the dio is to be in the street involving the vehicle, then you might be able to scrimp on the interior building work. However, if the vehicle is there as support for action that's moved toward or into the building front, then you need to concentrate more in that area as opposed to the street. You're off to a great start!

GIL :smiley16:

I have not really thought out a story line. I wound up building the this thing for a review thinking cool now what? I then found the BA-20 at the last Orlando show and quickly bought it with the diorama in mind. Since then I've playing around with the camera trying find out what is next.... you are right I should determine a story line and not look for it. OK I guess that would help out with the details So the big picture should include weather and season? Figures and weapons or support items?

Hi, Greg,

Considering the structural damage to the corner of the building at the second floor level up to the roof, there would be a huge amount of masonry rubble at ground level. I once did a broken wall diorama that needed rubble. I built a form that would enclose the broken out material and filled it with plaster. I removed the form and scored in the mortar lines on the brick. I then broke up all the plaster into bits of masonry that became the actual rubble in the scene. The quantity was right because it was molded in the open sections of the wall.

With the exception of the small quantity of rubble scattered on the ground, the scene looks too clean, especially the street and sidewalk. You have a lot of dirty-up work to add. There would be loose rubble on the window sills from the broken frames and glass. The steel rails will be showing rust because it is unlikely a streetcar (trolley) will have used them for a long time in a heavily damaged war zone.

I agree with the questions about figures. Are the figures the focus of the action with the armored car just a prop in the scene, or is the armored car a major part of the story line? The diorama will need figures to bring it to life.

Perhaps a few Russian soldiers are actually looting this building (or what's left of it) and the armored car is their getaway vehicle. A bank job comes to mind. Coin bags were pretty universal as storage containers for hard currency. A destroyed bank may still have such souvenirs in the broken vault if the soldiers used their small turret popgun on it.

Be creative. That's what makes a diorama fun to build.

Ed

Greg,

As I , Ed & Gil have pointed out story line is everything in a diarama. Once you have your story you can plane out the dio., i.e. figures (amount of) , vehicles, etc. Direction of the action is also important. Your off to a good start with the base and vehichle.

Chris

Nice work! Hard to believe it's your first diorama. One of my favorite sources for diorama storyline inspiration is any good collection of the old Bill Mauldin WWII cartoons. It's all still true!

I have not really thought out a story line. I wound up building the this thing for a review thinking cool now what? I then found the BA-20 at the last Orlando show and quickly bought it with the diorama in mind. Since then I've playing around with the camera trying find out what is next.... you are right I should determine a story line and not look for it. OK I guess that would help out with the details So the big picture should include weather and season? Figures and weapons or support items?

A suggestion if you have yet to think of it. Don't cha hate it when you get suggestions and you aren't done yet? Anyway, FWIW, be sure to flatten the tires just a bit to give "weight" to the vehicle. Looks great so far. I'm working on my first diorama too.

• 7 months later...

Great job on the dio! Thanks for sharing.

-Steven