New Italeri Paints from MRC Academy

dmorrissette

I wonder how much they will cost. I cringe when I replace older Testors Model Master paints with newer bottles and note the difference in price. And they're made in the USA.

I don't mind the price increase as I mind the fact that they don't seem to cover as well as they used to! Like I am paying more but getting less pigment.

Edited by Mark Aldrich

Iam a big fan of the paint .I have the whole set I picked it up at the last I hobby show in Chicago. And the price was right FREE! Reminds me of Tamiya paint.

RONBO

Hi:

Not sure what the retail proce will be. All the paint is very expensive but considering the cost of the models, it's OK with me. I am not a fan of the new Model Master- it is not stable in the bottle. I must have thrown out 20 bottles that were bought for a project, used and then sealed and when you go backa year later, they are junk

I have some of my original Xtracolor and Pactras from 20 years ago that are great

Dave

It's funny about paint! I have tins of Revell that I bought in Germany back in 1982. Every time I open them, I am surprised to see they are still liquid, mixable and useable. I don't think I have a Humbrol, Tamiya, or Model Master paint that I opened and had to eventually throw away because it hardened up in less than a year. What I hate about Model Master is that no matter how good I clean the lid, the second time I go to use it, the the inisde of the cap gets attached to the bottle tops and starts to deteriorate.

I think the difference is the removal of lead from almost all paints, and especially hobby enamels and lacquers. I can remember when the Testors little bottle of Chrome Silver actually PLATED OUT when brushed on! It doesn't want to do that any more! Same thing for the loss of Diosol from Floquil. It thnned anything and everything enamel/lacquer without a problem! The thinner that Floquil (whom I believe is owned by Testors/Model Master) puts out now isn't nearly as good!

GIL :smiley16:

Hi Gil:

Actually, I would say some of the hiding is the pigments. Lead has been gone for a long while (prior to 1982) but funny thing how Lead based is still used for certain thigns they don't tell you about (like all those orange cones/barrels on the highway- those are all lead).

I think the sprayability and the stability have been hurt by having to reformulate the resin/solvent system as solvents keep coming under more and more fire (and that is why the acrylic paints are more popular- even though they contain solkvents, they contain less). Either way, MRC-Academy sent the IPMS Reviewer Corps the entire line of paints and theya re shipping to reviewers this week. Look for a review in a little while

Dave