Italeri M109?

Kranman

Can anyone enlighten me as to why the M109 is in such short supply? On eBay, you'd think one guy bought the warehouse stock of these kits. SprueBrothers had it listed with a retail of $39 but $100 plus seems the going rate. No one lists it as available. I also heard of Tamiya's plan to release a Paladin but that may take time.

Just wondering about the Italeri kit and why it's gotten to be so expensive. All comments are welcome and thanks!

Frank

Frank,

It is because they are not being produced right now. Kind of like the Visible B-17 I am trying to acquire. EBAY is about the only option. A company called Kentic has stated they will be releasing a M109A2 in 1/35 scale. If you want one, EBAY is about the only option unless you find one on a trading board. On anotherr note, Revell of Germany also released the M109 under it's name so you can find it that way as well. Still sell for a arm and a leg sometimes.

Mark

Edited by Mark Aldrich

I have several of them in the various boxings. I've never had trouble finding one on the shelves, but admittedly, I have not looked in several years. Off the top of my head, I have an old Testors M109A2 that's been in my possession for a couple of decades, an M108 that I bought when stationed in Germany in the late 80s, a short barreled M109 bought at the same time, and an M109A6 Paladin I got when they came out. I did have the Revell rebox of the M109A3GA1 that I got rid of recently. I think I have another different boxing kicking around somewhere.

• 2 months later...

A bagged M109A2 (no box, still in polybag) kit just sold on eBay for $16 and change with $4 shipping. I would have bid, but I have that same kit that I haven't gotten to in years.

Funny how the $100 "Buy It Nows" aren't selling! If I didn't have enough, that bagged kit was a great deal!!!

Yes, I was tracking it and waffling about whether I needed it or not. I've been modeling in my primary scale lately (1/72) because I got a visor at Hobby Lobby with the 40% off coupon. I've been starting on older 1/72 scale kits that aren't worth as much on today's market like the Heller VAB and Monogram StuG IV and enjoying them.

• 4 weeks later...

I win!!!! I win!!!! The seller posted this this morning........I need to go buy some lottery tickets also!

http://www.ebay.com/itm/260948951363?ssPageName=STRK:MEWNX:IT&_trksid=p3984.m1439.l2648

I need to start dumping my kits before the Kinetic kit makes them obsolete. I read that it had recoil and breech details, which makes me think there is probably a rudimentary interior included.

Rob,

I Hope! But at $25 I couldn't let it go! Even if the Kinetic kit features a FULL interior, I can still use this one for an Italeri kit and not have spent a fortune.

That is true. The only Italeri M109 I wished I'd kept was the Revell German Bundeswehr one. The rest I bought because the price was right (long before they were hard to find). I did buy the Paladin when it first came out hoping for updated or modified tooling like they did on their HMMWV kits, but set it aside when I found out it was basically the same lower hull from their M108/109 kit with a new turret and a couple detail parts added to the hull.

I always like the M108, such a big vehicle for such a small gun. What were they thinking with that combination?

HaHa!!!! I said the same thing! I think it was...the mobility issue. Maybe with the 105 it was more air transportable for the time.

• 1 month later...

They've been getting dumped in anticipation of the new, better Kinetic M109A2 and AFV Club's announced M109 series. Coupled with the fact that Italeri recently reissued the M109A6 Paladin, the secondary market has all but vanished for this mediocre series of Italeri kits. The only ones buying them now are those ones unaware of better kits coming down the pipe.

Geez! With all these big kits coming out, you'd think SOMEONE would shrink it down and release it in 1/72 scale, but NO! Still nothing in my scale; and I need about six!

OMG!!!!! Duke, get over it!!!! Pull on you BIG BOY pants and step up and build something in the REAL scale!!!!! haha....I crack myself up!

Yea, I've noticed the declining prices for the kits on EBAY and I believe Italeri has recently re-released the Paladin to try and counter the two newer announced kits!!!!! I have my stash and will wait patiently to see if either actually get produced and figure out whether it is worth the money to get them. I find it funny that the Tamiya new M-51 was so hyped about how great it was and when I finally start seeing the builds on the forums, the only thing they (the builders) didn't seem to alter in some way was the turret! Kinda a let down after all the hype. So I am patiently waiting to see what and if these newer kits will be like.

:Smile_sceptic:

Edited by Mark Aldrich

• 3 weeks later...

LOL! Mark, 1/35th may be a "real" scale, but 1/72 is the "one, true" scale! :smiley2: :D

Give it a whirl sometime sonny! Only real men who don't need BIG BOY pants can build in my scale! :smiley31::smiley20:

Duke,

PLEASE!!!! I can barely do the work I do in 1/35 WITH my optivsor! Would never consider it in 1/72!

:Smile_sceptic:

Edited by Mark Aldrich

I got a cheap optivisor at Hobby Lobby with the 40% off coupon, best investment I've made since my near vision started to fade. I'm working on 1/72 scale armor once again.

To be young, don't need them yet, but thinking about buying a set. 1/72 stuff is getting nicely detailed like there 1/35 counter parts