No More R-m Nascar Kits

Posted today on the R-M Web site:

To Our Loyal Customers:

Over the years we have been pleased to provide you with the finest NASCAR plastic model kits featuring the most popular drivers. Regrettably however, over the last several years we have faced increasing licensing costs that are greater than our increase in sales. Despite our best efforts to secure reasonable licensing terms for NASCAR model kits in general, and the Car of Tomorrow in particular, we have been unable to develop a program that allows us to market the product at a viable price point. Consequently, we will not be issuing a kit on the Car of Tomorrow and, in fact, will be exiting the NASCAR business altogether. We will discontinue all sales of NASCAR plastic kits by February 28, 2009.

This has been an extremely difficult decision to make as we are fully aware of the avid fan base of NASCAR model kit builders and truly appreciate your support over the years. We trust you will find other model kits in our line that will be of interest and that will provide you with the model building enjoyment you desire.

Please note that we still have inventory of selected models as shown below. Check with your favorite dealer to see if they are carrying any of the items. If they are out of stock, they can obtain any of these items for you very quickly through their distributor.

85 2029 0 0012 #20 Home Depot Monte Carlo ('04)

85 2030 0 0012 #48 Lowes Monte Carlo ('06)

85 2075 0 0012 #24 DuPont Monte Carlo ('07)

85 2078 0 0012 #20 Home Depot Monte Carlo ('04)

85 4206 0 0012 #11 FedEx Denny Hamlin

Cordially,

Revell, Inc.

Thanks Eric...

I was just making my way over here to post it if it hadn't been posted yet.

No new NASCAR kits means you can most likely kiss any new drag racing kits good-bye too.

I realize that there is still a ton of other plastic auto kits out there but affordable racing kits are

becoming few and far between.

Donor kits for all of those resin CoT bodies will start to become very hard to find...

• 2 weeks later...

Wow! Talk about NASCAR shooting themselves in the foot. Do they need money that bad? Model car kits are the best source to bring young ones into the love of the sport and to build their fan base. Looks like future NASCAR kits will be considerably higher in price if available at all. Buy 'em up while you still can.

I think they need every penny they can get their hands on. Between petty stuff like this and their WWE style of Marketing (just ask Tony Stewart!) they have managed to drive away their core of followers... southerners, rednecks and people who just like to watch wrecks. But, hey, they are attracting the California fans!! (well, 3 of them... who far outnumber the fans who've given up? Right!!)

When I got transferred to Atlanta Air Route Center, I lived about a mile from the track and worked across the street. We couldn't get tickets to save our lives. They were sold out when they wen't on sale to "Season Ticket" holders. I managed to go to one race while I lived there because a work buddy couldn't get off and I had sold him 1992 World Series tickets at face value.

Now, you can drive in the week of the race and get tickets most places (not Daytona or 'Dega of course). Too many tracks have multiple races per year and that simply dilutes the local fan base too far. I have heard they might run fewer races this year (by cutting 3 or 5) to save money. They've already cancelled testing and are moving qualifying to Saturday to save one nights expenses for 43+ teams (over 1000 people who have to stay in hotels)

Don't get me started on the chase! Jimmy Johnson was slated to win from the first day of the season, not just the first day of the chase. Had to dethrone that horrible, old-timey redneck as the only triple-champ.

I still watch, because I love the sport. But with TiVo I usually turn it on over halfway thru and watch the wrecks and pit stops with just enough time to catch the last 40 laps or so live.

Wow! Talk about NASCAR shooting themselves in the foot. Do they need money that bad? Model car kits are the best source to bring young ones into the love of the sport and to build their fan base. Looks like future NASCAR kits will be considerably higher in price if available at all. Buy 'em up while you still can.

This is really too bad. I know that they've had "new kits" just about every year for as long as I can remember.

I can't blame RM for passing, however. Too much $ spent for too little return (even if they did manage to sell every kit they made at full retail - it would take forever to recoup the costs)

On the bright side - it may help increase the value of the older kits (which I have found have a rather low re-sale value)