Sb-17 With Edaurds Big Ed Set Build Up

Chris Mobley

This is the Academy SB-17 kit with the Eduard Big Ed detail set. They ain't kidding when they say big. Suckers got three times as many parts as the kit does easy. But the detail it has is amazing. Sucks that a lot of it is gone once the plane is assembled but hopefully the enlarged glass areas of this version of the plane will allow plenty to still be seen.

Here's what it is supposed to represent when it is done.

boe-sb17h.jpg

Progress is slow going, lots of tedious work and fair amount of cutting plastic.

First up is the cockpit thus far. Still lots of little details to go on it. Had enough of lots of little details for one day though.

sb-17_2.jpg

sb-17_3.jpg

sb-17_1.jpg

Still a good bit to go but it is a little more interesting looking than the kit decal.

Here is the rear of the cockpit. I found out after wards that I put everything on the bomb bay side of the thing. No way the stuff was coming back with damaging it, that Gator Glue has a hell of a bite so I just modified the cockpit floor to fit in the holes and trimmed the ribbing from below the door. Won't be able to see inside the bomb bay any way.

sb-17_4.jpg

Now the wall in front of the cock pit. Still more to go on it but I will wait till it is painted.

sb-17_5.jpg

Right side of the cockpit.

sb-17_9.jpg

Inside the wheel well. Kind of wondering how I am going to get the wheel strut mounted now. I get ahead of myself at times. I'll figure something out.

sb-17_6.jpg

Some of the opened up areas of the wings. If you look real close you can see the tiny holes in the back of them.

sb-17_7.jpg

The start of a landing flap. This is the first steps. Still lots more to go. Gotta figure out what I have that I can use for the rod it says I need since it did not come with it.

sb-17_8.jpg

And the easiest thing so far to get done. The boat.

sb-17_10.jpg

More to come as long as I don't get to cross eyed to type.

That cockpit detailing is phenomenal! It looks like it's bigger than 1/72, which makes it all the more amazing. Keep us posted as this will be an educational and impressive build. I look forward to more pics!

GIL :smiley16: