Spitfire MK1

Wilky

My club is having a little contest. We are building a Spitfire Mk1. The thing is that it has to be brush painted. My question is what colors are appropriate, including interior, and any advice on getting smooth finish.

Thanks,

Ron W.

I'd recommend that you consider Vallejo applied with high quality brushes....using cheaper brushes will leave some brush strokes. No clue on the colors, but I'll be surprised if you do not receive a reply soon.

Interior is RAF interior green. I think Tamiya has that color.

Exterior topside is RAF Brown and RAF Dark Green.

Underside can vary depending on timeframe.

I think you can get all your colors out of the Tamiya line.

Thanks guys, really appreciate the info. I a ship builder, but the club wants to do this Spitfire, and the only colors I know is haze gray and hull red.

Ron W.

• 1 month later...

My club is having a little contest. We are building a Spitfire Mk1. The thing is that it has to be brush painted. My question is what colors are appropriate, including interior, and any advice on getting smooth finish.

Thanks,

Ron W.

Hello I write through the translator, so I will not unfounded. There are a few photos.http://modelistbarnaul.com/news/podgotovka_k_konkursu_po_spitfire/2011-11-24-112 Later lay literature on camouflage.

post-1707-0-43992400-1322109190_thumb.jpg

post-1707-0-23019800-1322109197_thumb.jpg

Oleg.

Thanks for the link. This is going to be really helpful on detailing the cockpit.

Ron W.

Depending on the color of the plastic, give serious consideration to primering. You won't get a brush painted acrylic light blue for instance to cover a dark green plastic without doing 4-5 coats and then you'd have a huge paint buildup. White is best as a primer, but in brush painting, it just won't cover. I'd suggest a neutral and/or light grey as a first coat. Remember this all depends on the color being used and the color underneath. If you paint the brown upper surface first, the green will go over it ok. However, if you do the green first, you may find the brown just doesn't look right if applied over the green. It goes without saying that you paint the lighter colors first and move on to the darker ones.

As to technique, it will all be in the thickness of the paint. Too thick and it will "glom" up and leave brush marks. Too thin and it won't cover. Also, try as much as possible to only go over an area once. If the paint is thinned correctly, it will flow out and not leave brush marks. If you go over it again, you may streak the paint leaving poor coverage and brush marks. If you do need to do two coats, let the first coat really dry well. Then lightly wet sand it with 600 paper to remove any uneven surface and to provide some tooth for the second coat. I say wetw sand because if you try to dry sand acrylic paint, will will just ball up and make a mess. In addition, over large areas, try to brush the second coat at a 90 degree angle to the first. This will also help to avoid brush marks.

I've seen very nice brush paint jobs where you could hardly tell them from spray finishes, so it can be done. I can't do it, but it can be done. Good luck.

Edited by Ron Bell

Thanks Ron. I do plan on primering. I will be using a Tamiya light gray primer. We are allowed to use rattle can primer and top coats only. I have never used acrylics before, so your advice very much appreciated. Certainly didn't know about doing brown first. Thanks again.

Ron W.

• 3 weeks later...

Hey Ron, I ran into Bruce the other day and thought it was the Spit Mk IX for the build?

I would be interested but he said it was 48th scale and not my cup of tea.

I do have the Airfix Mk I in 72nd scale that I plan to do a what if in Dutch colors.

Can you do What ifs for this build? If so, Haze Grey and Hull Red would be cool.

Good luck, hope someone will post pics of the finished builds.

If you can find any, Polly Scale is good and brushes very well. You would need RAF Dark Green, RAF Dark Earth, Sky and Interior Green.

Good luck with your build and lets see some piccies when done.