Question on F-4S Heater-Ferris scheme

DaveDeLang

Hey all,

I'm working on a 1/72 Italeri F-4S and I'm about to get into the painting stage and I'm doing the "Heater-Ferris #1" scheme on a VF-301 jet.

The back of the box has a three view (top, bottom and one side) and I also got another four view off the web. It was done up by Afterburner decals.

The color call-out is different on them and the demarcations aren't exatly the same but they both agree on one thing which I think may be in error: they both have a medium sea blue wing tip but it's shown as being on the top of the port wing and the bottom of the starboard wing. The corresponding reverse sides are light ghost gray, that is, the top of the port wing is blue and the bottom of the port wing is gray. Should the bottom diagram be mirror imaged to make the top and bottom colors match up - blue and blue on one side and gray and gray on the other?

The rest of the colors are all what appear to me to be mirror imaged on the bottom plan view as well and I think it would cause weird transitions along the bottom of the fuselage. I plan to mirror image the bottom plan but I was just wondering if anyone else thought that was the correct way.

This is a link to a thread at Aircraft Resource Center that I just found that has a Don Color image. It also has the (what I think is a) mismatch between the top and bottom plan. Or am I the one that's backwards? The image is in post 11.

I'm also going to try an experiment when I lay out the scheme. Since it has straight lines that go over curved surfaces at an angle, the lines will need to curve somewhat on the sides to make them line up straight in the top plan view. I bought a cheap laser level from Home Despot and I'll see if that helps with laying out the demarcations.

It's a cheapee so I don't know how well it will work. It appears to use some sort of curved lens to smear the laser light into a line. It's not very fine a line but I think it will get me close and I can eyeball the final border. It was only about 15 bucks so not much is lost if it doesn't work. Heck, maybe I can use it to lay out wood trim in the house or something!

Hey all,

I'm working on a 1/72 Italeri F-4S and I'm about to get into the painting stage and I'm doing the "Heater-Ferris #1" scheme on a VF-301 jet.

The back of the box has a three view (top, bottom and one side) and I also got another four view off the web. It was done up by Afterburner decals.

The color call-out is different on them and the demarcations aren't exatly the same but they both agree on one thing which I think may be in error: they both have a medium sea blue wing tip but it's shown as being on the top of the port wing and the bottom of the starboard wing. The corresponding reverse sides are light ghost gray, that is, the top of the port wing is blue and the bottom of the port wing is gray. Should the bottom diagram be mirror imaged to make the top and bottom colors match up - blue and blue on one side and gray and gray on the other?

This is a link to a thread at Aircraft Resource Center that I just found that has a Don Color image. It also has the (what I think is a) mismatch between the top and bottom plan. Or am I the one that's backwards? The image is in post 11.

I'm also going to try an experiment when I lay out the scheme. Since it has straight lines that go over curved surfaces at an angle, the lines will need to curve somewhat on the sides to make them line up straight in the top plan view. I bought a cheap laser level from Home Despot and I'll see if that helps with laying out the demarcations.

Hey Dave! I think the diagram is correct for the reasoning that in a dogfight, the object of the camo is to confuse your foe as to know if he is seeing your plan view as either the top or bottom of your aircraft. Thus IN PLAN VIEW, the port wingtip will always have the same color, thus explaining the disparity between top and bottom wing camo colors. Note that the bottom of the fuselage has a mock cockpit canopy to complete this illusion.

Please let the forum know how your laser level tool works for layout of the demarcations also.

HTH

Hey Dave! I think the diagram is correct for the reasoning that in a dogfight, the object of the camo is to confuse your foe as to know if he is seeing your plan view as either the top or bottom of your aircraft. Thus IN PLAN VIEW, the port wingtip will always have the same color, thus explaining the disparity between top and bottom wing camo colors. Note that the bottom of the fuselage has a mock cockpit canopy to complete this illusion.

Please let the forum know how your laser level tool works for layout of the demarcations also.

HTH

Hi Mike,

That actually occured to me but...I was thinking that an opponent wouldn't know "left wingtip blue" and that combined with the fact that as the aircraft rolled, the aformentioned wingtip would change from blue to gray. I was thinking that the sudden change in color as the aircraft rolled might be a bigger camoflage compromise than the change of left and right. But, on further reflection, if there were a number of aircraft in a formation all painted the same scheme, making the top and bottom the same pattern may lead to confusion as to which aircraft are rolling toward the observer and which are rolling away.

Hmmm, still thinking on this....thanks Mike, you'll see what I decide in a week or so.

Dave,

There was an article on the Heater-Ferris F-4S scheme in the Decmeber 1992 FSM. There were several variations to the scheme with different colors of markings as well. It seems in all cases the upper wingtip was a different color than the lower wingtip on the same wing.

Mike

Dave,

There was an article on the Heater-Ferris F-4S scheme in the Decmeber 1992 FSM. There were several variations to the scheme with different colors of markings as well. It seems in all cases the upper wingtip was a different color than the lower wingtip on the same wing.

Mike

Yup, that's what I've gleaned from all the suggestions and references I've gotten from the good folks here and on ARC. That's how I painted it. The laser level worked great for laying out the lines. I'll post some pics in a bit. She's sitting on the shelf with the paint hadening off now so I don't get checking in the clear coat that you can see if you put acrylic clear over partially cured enamel.