Airfix B17G Chin Turret

Crossy

Hi,

First post, so if it's in the wrong place, I apologise.

I have finally got around to building this kit (Airfix #08005) and I'm reasonably pleased with the outcome so far. However, I am at the stage of attaching the Chin Turret and for the life of me I can't work out the instructions. I'm missing something, or there's a problem with the instructions lol.

According to the diagram the Turret (Part K34) is supposed to be rotatable and therefore should not have cement used, but I can't see what holds it in place.

Any suggestions, please?

Rob.

Thanks for the reply.

That's how the Dorsal and Ball turrets are fitted, but the Chin turret doesn't have the flanges. The instructions show it being fitted after the fuselage halves are cemented together.

Rob.

Hello Rob,

- I was all set to post a few digi's of my Airfix (Old 1975ish issue) B-17G kit parts and instructions, showing how they are supposed to go together.....when I came across this thread on an Airifx dedicated Discusion Site:

Airfix B-17G, 8005 Blog

- Basically, it has confirmed that your kit, number 8005, is a re-boxing/re-issue of the Academy 1/72 scale B-17G in an Airfix box and the two kits are totally different in design, detail, and construction layout. (The airfix kit has you assemble the chin turret and then mount it under the floor before you assemble it between the two fuselage halves. Whereas the Academy kit apparently has you assembly the fuselage halves first, then install the turret). Unfortunately, I don't have an Academy kit to look at to help out any further. Maybe another member here can take a look at their Academy kit for you and post a digi or two. Best of luck getting that turret inplace and Model on, Brother of the Sprue.

Edited by Weedeater

Hi,

Thanks for the reply. I believe that you are correct, this is effectively an Academy kit in an Airfix box.

I'll see if I can scan the relevant instruction drawing and post it.

Rob

I've got the Academy SB-17G at home, I'll check it tonight.

Looking at the instructions you posted, it looks like there might have been a disc with a rod that had to be mounted in the opening when the fuselage goes together. The drawing seems to indicate whatever it is that it's recessed into the opening. Look a few steps earlier or at the parts tree to see if there is a similar looking part.

I've got the Academy SB-17G at home, I'll check it tonight.....

James.....

- Don't bother. I also have the Academy SB-17G kit and I checked it. It does include the G chin turret in addition to the extra "SB" chin radome thing, but (at least in my issue kit) the instructions don't show any clarification of the chin turret installation that I'm thinking Rob needs, just the radome installation.

Hi,

Thanks for the replies. I agree, it appears to be designed such that a little round 'turntable' would be placed over the existing shaft and secured by cementing a 'cap' onto the shaft. Then cement the turret to the 'turntable'. I have spent a great deal of time looking for such parts but they aren't there, and are not shown on any of the diagrams.

The kit has been sitting on my shelf for about 8 years so perhaps anyone who has encountered the issue did so many years ago.

The simple solution is to cement the chin turret in place but I'd like to 'have a go' at allowing it to rotate.

Thanks for the help so far.

Rob.

Edited by Crossy

Hi, guys,

I'm looking at the instruction sheet for Academy B-17G Kit #2143 from 1995. In Assembly #1, the bombardier's floor piece is K39. At the nose end, there is a recessed disk in the floor the diameter of the chin turret, with a pair of cross braces and a raised center with a hole in it to accept the mounting pin for the bomb aimer's seat (K37). Thus, the bomb aimer sits directly over the center of the chin turret below. On the underside of this floor piece K39 is a pin approximately 3/16-ths inch long dropping down from the center of the raised circle (the circular locator for the turret piece K34). The purpose of the pin is not to permit the turret to turn, but it traps the twin machine-gun part J12 into position inside the turret and allows the guns to move in their slots.

The chin turret K34 and guns J12 are mounted to the fuselage in Assembly #8. If the kit is not designed to have a slight force (or snap) fit of the turret to the locator ring under the floor so you can position it wherever and whenever you want, you will have to pick a direction and glue it into a permanent location. Sorry, it won't be the swivel mount you want. I did not check my SB-17 kit because others have done so. Good luck with the rest of your build. Post some pictures.

Ed

Hi ewahl,

Thanks for the reply.

Interesting that the part numbers are the same in my kit, but obviously the instructions are different. The description you have posted of the structure is spot on with mine. It's not that I particularly want the turret to be able to rotate, the drawings show that it is supposed to be able to rotate. There is definitely no 'snap fit' feature on this part. I guess the drawings are a wee bit optimistic. Are you able to post a scan of the Assembly #8 you refer to, just for interests sake, please?

Thanks again.

Rob.

Edited by Crossy

Hi, Rob,

I was not ignoring you. I've had a special project that pretty well took up all day Wednesday and Thursday. Here are three scans from the Academy B-17G kit instructions showing the parts involved with the chin turret. The first is Assembly #1 with the bombardier's floor from the top side.

AcademyB-17G0001.jpg

Next we have Assembly #3 showing the completed parts from Assembly #1 being attached to the right fuselage half. Note the pin for the lower chin turret guns is shown.

AcademyB-17G0002.jpg

Finally we have Assembly #8 with the chin turret assembly (insert guns into turret) and then attaching the turret to the raised locator circle under the bombardier's floor.

AcademyB-17G0003.jpg

This should clear things up for you. By the way, I did look at the old Airfix B-17G instructions from an MPC Profile Series kit, and the chin turret and guns clearly are meant to rotate freely.

Ed

Hi Ed,

No problem at all, thanks for getting back to me. Steps 1 and 3 are virtually identical to the Airfix/Academy kit that I have. Step 8 differs in the detail for attaching K34 and J12 to the underside of the fuselage. Your instructions clearly do not show any indication of the ability to rotate the turret while mine clearly do, yet the component pieces are identical. If my instructions did not have the 'no cement' squares I would have happily cemented the chin turret in place (which is what I will do now).

Interestingly I have contacted the Airfix/Hornby Customer Care centre via e-mail. They have allocated me a report number but otherwise have ignored my request for help. Even an 'Oops, sorry, our mistake' e-mail would be better than stoney silence.

Anyway, thanks again for all your help, I hope your special project went well.

Rob.

Edited by Crossy

Hi,

I have just received a reply from Airfix. They state that the K30 fairing is supposed to retain the K34 turret in place and allow it to rotate. I did a check fit and I think it may work but it will need to be a tight fit.

Rob.

Hi,

I have just received a reply from Airfix. They state that the K30 fairing is supposed to retain the K34 turret in place and allow it to rotate. I did a check fit and I think it may work but it will need to be a tight fit.

Rob.

Hmmm, I think I'd glue it in place. If you don't, the first time you rotate the turret the fairing will scrape all the paint off the sides of the turret.

• 2 weeks later...

Is there a reason that I can't post pix in the Forum, please? I've been trying to post a pic of the finished product (such as it is hehe) and I keep getting a message (Used 474.97K of your 500K global upload quota (Max. single file size: 25.03K) that tells me the pic is too large and that I have used most of my quota. This even happens if I try to start a new thread. I have re sized the pic but that doesn't help.

Any suggestions, please?

Rob.

Edited by Crossy