Oil Fadeing Techniques

TimDarrah

In various Armour mags, they show the use of small spots of oil paints then dragging a wide brush dipped in terpintine to represent rain streaks, etc. I wanna try this on my Tamiya Marder III Ausf. M, do I need to use turpintine or would mineral spirits work?

Thanks for any guideance that you can give me.

Take the following advice with a grain of salt, as I have very little experience with the "filters" you're asking about.

I think you can use either solvent, making the choice on how tolerant your skin and nose are to them. The key is to use them VERY sparingly AND to be sure you have a base coat (preferably acrylic) to protect the base colors. Since the dots are oil paint and dry very slowly, you have a lot of time to streak them and then remove more and more paint to tone down the streaking. Using a very small amount of the solvent allows you to control the paint removal without applying "wet" solvent that may soak into the base coats. Make sense? Hopefully someone with more experience will be along shortly to give some more experienced advice. Best of luck!

GIL :smiley16:

Gil,

Thanks for the info. I painted up a spare Pz IV side skirts into four different camo schemes, OD, Dunkel Gelb, DG with Grun & Braun, then finally Panzer Grau. I'll experiement with this before I try it on my Marder.

Timmy

Well I tried it and even though I thought I wiped enough turpintine off the brush, I didn't and it ate thru the paint and gloss coat. So now I'll try it again with very little turpintine. Glad that I tested it first.

Well I tried it and even though I thought I wiped enough turpintine off the brush, I didn't and it ate thru the paint and gloss coat. So now I'll try it again with very little turpintine. Glad that I tested it first.

The base colors must be acrylic for this technique, preferable with a flat finish for more "tooth".

For the streaking effect try odorless thinner, applied with a 3/4" wide brush. The bristles should only be damp, not dripping with the thinner. Wipe the excess oil from the brush after each sweep (top-to-bottom). I normally apply the dots of oil with a round tooth pick, and can apply very small individual dots, or several close together. You can continue to sweep the dot until you arrive at just the right effect. I bought my thinner at Hobby Lobby (40% coupon works wonders!!).

Try white on dark paints for the rain/dust effect.

Good luck.