Does anyone know?

David M. Knights

Does anyone know what these are made of? They appear to be the type of gloves used in "clean rooms" in electronic assembly. There big advantage is that you perspire thru them. I'd like to find another source for them, if I can figure out what they are made of.

One brand is Syntrile PF (Poweder Free).

They are a latex free "next generation glove"

If you have a local pharmacy nearby they can probably order you a box of 100 for under $10. MUCH less than the extrotion from Tamiya for exactly the same product.

The box says its fromn Cypress Medical Products, #27-96, SKU is * +H99827961N *

If you can't find them, the drugstore in my shopping center can probably still get them, my box is almost 10 years old and only half gone.

James,

Thanks for the input. The gloves you mention appear to be nitrile gloves. These are better than latex, but you still perspire under them. I am sure that Tamiya isn't having their gloves specially made. They have to be some sort of industrially manufactured cl;ean room glove. I just can't figure out what they are made of. It isn't nitrile and it isn't latex. You can get the Tamiya gloves directly from the Tamiya USA website for .99 a pair, but they have to be cheaper than that in bulk from the actual manufacturer. The only downside to the Tamiya gloves is that they seem to breakdown with age, as opposed to nitrile or latex.

David,

I have had good luck using the medical surgical gloves. They come in different sizes and also come in latex free style also. It also helps that I work in as an engineer in a local hospital so I do have an endless supply, But any medical supply store will sell them. I have even seen them in the local dollar store. They are cheap and come in boxes of 100's.

Chris

I bought a box of Nitrile gloves at Costco. Work great. I don't sweat through them but we have a mild climate in the NW. I don't recall how many are in a box, but you will see them in a doctor's office in the same size box. Looks like large kleenex box or paper towel wipe box. Small, medium and large. Box was under $10.00 as I recall.

The Tamiya gloves were manufactured by Wilshire Technologies in Carlsbad, Ca. They are made of Lycra. That is a propriatary chemical from DuPont and is the same chemical that Spandex is made from. They do tend to degrade over time but they are ultra thin. They were originally developed as a surgical glove that can be much thinner to give the surgon a better feel. They have also proven to be almost solvent proof. Older gloves tend to be less so. The name that you see in the packaging is probably the company that did the package.

The Tamiya gloves were manufactured by Wilshire Technologies in Carlsbad, Ca. They are made of Lycra. That is a propriatary chemical from DuPont and is the same chemical that Spandex is made from. They do tend to degrade over time but they are ultra thin. They were originally developed as a surgical glove that can be much thinner to give the surgon a better feel. They have also proven to be almost solvent proof. Older gloves tend to be less so. The name that you see in the packaging is probably the company that did the package.

Pete,

Thank you. That is why I love IPMS. I knew if I posted this here I'd get the answer. Any idea who might sell them in bulk? Can you get them from the manufacturer.

Thanks again.

• 3 weeks later...

I typically use Nitrile gloves when I'm pouring molds or casting, and when working on a model with finicky paint, I use white cotton gloves. I got a BUNCH of them from a museum/archival supply website a number of years ago for what I remember to be a very reasonable price I suspect a Google search would turn up plenty of sources for the cotton gloves if one were interested.

Mike