An Adult Build Course for Wounded Warriors

Dick Montgomery

The “Support the Troops” program has taken a giant step forward recently. An “Adult Building Course” has been launched at Brooke Army Med Center. The Warriors stationed there for rehab and treatment are now able to meet with “model coaches” and enjoy a face-to-face, informal, and stress-free evening working on models. The tools and models shown in the images are items received by IPMS-USA through the “Support the Troops” program. In fact, the items pictured were from recently received donations by John Ratzenberger, Mark Aldrich, Hill Country Hobby of San Antonio, and an anonymous donor at the IPMS Austin event in September.

James and Jeff are stationed at the Center for treatment. Both repeatedly expressed their appreciation to the donors of the items which they were provided with and which they were given at the end of the session that evening. They were also very anxious to know when the next session was to be scheduled, and that next session has already been scheduled with the staff at the facility.

Using the ABC as a guide, the Modeling Coaches (myself and John Dinsmore) will demo some basic modeling skills for the participants, but mostly we’ll just enjoy an evening of working on a model and coaching the participants as they work on the donated items that they pull from the “stash”.

Thanks to all of those who have donated items to the Wounded Warriors and to the Support the Troops program!

Jeff.jpg

James-left.jpg

AWESOME news, Dick. Thanks for keeping us informed about the positive stuff. Model on, Plastic Slingin Coach. :smiley20: :smiley20: :smiley20:

What a beautiful thing you guys are doing. May God Bless All of You, though I think he already has.

Dave Herron just donated a 1/32 Bf-109 to the Would Warriors program. It, along with several other items recently acquired, will be delivered to the Troops during the next ABC session. Thanks Dave!

Thanks to Jeff Garrity (Rare-Plane Detective) and John Ratzenberger for the "sailor's trunk" full of naval subjects....soon to make port with the Wounded Warriors at the Family Warrior Support Center!

We had our 2nd ABC session at the Center last night and had a ball! We did a very quick demo on seam-filling and sprue-stretching.

• 1 month later...

We have an update, dated Nov 29th. John Dinsmore, an IPMS member, is my Co-Leader for the ABC sessions with the Wounded Warriors and we had a grand time of it on the 29th. In the image below, John and one of the participants, "Ms. T", show off her very first model completion. "Ms T" spent about 90 minutes and completed the Snap Corvette that she is proudly holding. Note the reflective sash. When the troops go "pedestrian" around the base, they are required to wear the sash. More pics follow below.

Img_0389.jpg

Below, "Ms. T's" daughter completes her Snap kit. Note the HO layout in the background, which was donated by members of a local HO club. This presents those HO aficionados amongst us with an opportunity. If you have rolling stock, an engine, or some accessories such as buildings or figures that you'd like to contribute, please send them along (contact me for a shipping address) and we'll make sure they are presented to the Center.

IMG_0387.jpg

Oh....note the sanding stick and part nipper in the pic above. Those were tools donated by IPMS members and we invite the "students" to take the tools with them after the session is over.

In the image below "Hans" (left) and "Ms. T's" son work on their armor kits. Hans completed most of the sub assemblies for his Sherman and "Carlton" finished assembling and attaching the running gear to his 72nd Panzer IV. During our next session (in about two weeks) we'll be offering some assistance and advise on painting armor models with a focus on painting the tracks.

We could really use some glue. We use Faller Expert glue because of the ease of application and strength of the product. If you wish to donate some glue (but do not wish to actually buy it and send it to us) please consider this option. Contact your local Hobbytown USA and see if they have a gift certificate available. Purchase the gift certificate and mail that to John and I. We'll hit our local HTUSA and make the purchase crediting you as the donor. We can also do the same kind of deal through Hill Country Hobby for almost any kind of tool you wish to donate. Hill Country Hobby is an official "donation station" dropoff location for donated items and the owner has been far more than generous to the Support The Troops program over the last two years. I should mention that Hill Country Hobby is a "local" shop here in San Antonio.

Of course, those kits that are overflowing from your closest or shelves can also be sent as donated items. Tools will not do us much good without the PLASTIC!

IMG_0386.jpg

Thanks to John Cox for the 15 model kits just received via the mailman. A mix of 48th and 72nd scale aircraft (and some 144th, I believe) these items are most welcomed and will be provided to the Wounded Warriors shortly.

Thanks John!

Another donation for the Wounded Warriors has arrived, this coming from Mark Allison. Two kits of some primo kits will certainly brighten the day for some lucky Wounded Warriors.

Just to let you know, a small tag with the donor's name will be either inserted into the box or taped to the shrinkwrap. While we are not able to establish communication between the recipient and the donor, the donor's name will be known to the Wounded Warriors. And all donors receive a Certificate of Appreciation and Acknowledgment of Receipt from the Commanding Officer of the base. The certificate takes about 4 to 6 weeks and this certificate is generated from info I and John provide when we "do the paperwork".

Thanks Mark!

When it rains it pours. A big Thanks goes out to the members of IPMS Alamo Squadron. The club hosts its annual White Elephant gift exchange on Thursday evening. A "Donation Station" box was strategically placed near the table holding the wrapped gifts. Members were encouraged to consider gifting their White Elephant gift to the Wounded Warrior program upon the conclusion of the evening's festivities. 33 models were placed into the Donation Station! Thanks to one and all!

What we need:

I've been asked what the troops need and, of course, we need kits. But beyond that we also need tools. .

If you wish to donate but do not wish to pack up and ship tools there is a way for you to make that donation with a minimum of effort.

We have a local hobby shop that is an official Donation Station drop-off point, that being Hill Country Hobby. You can contact "Gary" via telephone (Google it...HCH is located in San Antonio on Bandera Road) or email and place an order for tools. Either I or my co-modeling coach, John, will go by HCH and pick up the items that you've ordered and get them to the troops. Easy, heh?

Tools needed:

1. glue... (we tend to avoid super glue because many of the troops are modeling rookies and the super glue is a problem)

2. a kit with acrylic paint that matches the requirements for that kit.

3. a set of paint brushes (fine, medium, large)

4. sand paper....especially the Flex-I-Grit handles with associated sanding strips.

5. packs of misc sandpaper from fine grit up to 400

6. nippers (those handy "dykes") that remove parts from the carrier sprues.

7. a set of misc files (the metal type in various shapes)

8. modeling magazines with how-to articles.

this is certainly not an all inclusive list but, rather, provides a basic set of tools so that the participants can get going on a project quickly and easily.

What kind of models are popular?

Please address any questions thru email and I'll try to reply as quickly as possible.

It varies wildly. We find that cars, armor, and airplanes are the big three. We get requests for space-stuff, (snap tites are perfect!) and requests for ships as well. In the end, if you want to donate it, the item will find a good home.

We provide these tools to each participant and then encourage them to take those items so that they car continue the modeling project while in their dorm rooms.

A very large box containing auto models was just delivered by UPS to my residence, and will soon be delivered to the Wounded Warriors. These items were donated by Len Woodruff and the members of IPMS Metroplex Car Modelers Association, with the able assistance of Terry Love.

Thanks guys!

Not 30 minutes after the box of car models mentioned in the previous post arrived, another knock at the door meant that another box arrived, this time from Scott Kruize! Scott's donation of 15+ aircraft models is very much appreciated. Thanks Scott!

The Wounded Warriors will have some goodies to enjoy during and after the Holidays. In the last week over 100 kits have arrived (with more on the way from other donors) magazines and books, as well as some modeling supplies.

The list of recent donors includes:

Bob Collignon of IPMS Niagara Frontier

The members of IPMS Niagara Frontier

The estate of Michael Graham and family

“Doc” Webber of IPMS North Central Texas

The members of IPMS North Central Texas

Edgar Seay, Jr. of MAL Hobby Shop

Gary Embry of Hill Country Hobby

If you wish to donate an item we can suggest some basic tools. We need

• Paint brushes and paint (see the paragraph below about how our needs change from meeting to meeting)
  • Glue – not “super” please
  • Sandpaper, sanding sticks, Flex-i-Grit handles and sanding strips
  • Almost any kind of tool you can name

We “gift” those tools that the participants use during the ABC sessions. From session to session we do not know which tools we will need to replace so………………………………in order to make a donation and in order that the Co-Coaches (myself and John Dinsmore) can gather specific tools that are needed….You can “gift” an amount of money to this program by contacting Hill Country Hobby in San Antonio, Tx (Google will get you there….) and tell “Gary” (the owner) that you wish to contribute a specific amount. Your donation will be used to buy those tools and supplies that I and my Co-Modeling Coach need to replace after each ABC session. You can, if you wish, ask that the donation be used to buy a specific item(s) as well. You will be listed as a donor and I’ll be sure to submit your name as a donor to the staff at the Wounded Warrior facility.

And, of course, you are encouraged to send those kits that you KNOW you’ll never build or those that you’ve superceded with a newer, improved version of that same kit. Contact me via email for shipping info.

On behalf of IPMS/USA and on behalf of the future recipients of your generousity….Thanks!

I received a note from Paul Gasiorowski, the Chapter Contact for IPMS McKinstry. Paul said, " Just to let you know that the Mckinstry Chapter members in Arlington Hts, Ill gathered up some 70 kits. Some new, some from the stashes that they will never build.

35 kits and misc tools, paints etc went to the

Captain James A. Lovell Federal Health Care Center in North Chicago, Il. Adjancent to the Great Lakes Naval Training Station On Dec 16th.

35 kits and misc tools, paints, etc. will be taken to the

Edward Hines, Jr. VA Hospital in Maywood, Il on Monday Dec 9th.

Paul Gasiorowski

Chapter Contact

Mckinstry

Dec 20, 2011 -

John and I visited the Wounded Warriors on Tuesday evening. We delivered about 100 kits that had been recently donated by modelers (previously listed in this thread). In many cases, dependents accompany the Wounded Warriors to our ABCs. The Family Warrior Support Center is a "family friendly" facility and dependents are always welcomed. In this first image, the Warrior (who has a camo cast on his left arm) is assisted by his wife. They tackled an AMT B Wing Fighter and finished the model during that evening's session. They also chose another Star Wars AMT kit and an armor model to take with them. Tools and glue were provided (all received through donors) and that ought to keep them busy until the next ABC scheduled in mid January.

Img_0398.jpg

The finished B Wing Fighter is displayed by our Wounded Warrior in the image below.

Img_0403.jpg

"Caleb" holds his recently completed F-4. John (seen in other images) worked with "Caleb" throughout the session and assisted him in getting this model finished.

Img_0404.jpg

The image below shows John working with "Caleb".

Img_0399.jpg

Thanks to your donations, the Warriors and dependents enjoyed a relaxing two hours, working on models, socializing, and sharing a fun experience.

We were able to equip each participant with some tools and kits that will provide some relaxation over the next few weeks until our next session.

Img_0402.jpg

Img_0401.jpg

Thanks to all who have provided kits and supplies to the IPMS/USA Support the Troops Program!

• 2 weeks later...

Thanks to Fred Smith (Masssachusetts) for donating 18 kits to the Wounded Warriors! We have two scheduled sessions with the Warriors during January and these items were received in time to be included in the list of kits to be delivered for our 1st session.

Thanks Fred!

The first ABC (Adult Building Course) of 2012 with the Wounded Warriors took place on Jan 10th. John Dinsmore (Co-Coach) and I met with 5 individuals and spent an enjoyable two hours painting, sanding, and gluing some armor, aircraft, and war gaming figures.

These donations came from David Christensen, Frederick Smith, and and Jim Klopp. Thanks guys!

John and I knew that, as part of the ABC, some of the Warriors would share their experiences with the group, and while we do not ask about such things the stories tend to surface as the work on the models progresses. We’ve found that there are three clear results from our Wounded Warrior ABCs.

First, everyone in attendance enjoys two hours of modeling and that basic modeling skills are shared with the participants and practiced during the course of the evening. In fact, last night one of the Warriors demonstrated his dry-brushing technique that he uses on his Wargaming pieces with the other Warriors!

Secondly, it is common for a participant to discuss the idea that working on models is excellent therapy for injured fingers and hands, as well as working on eye-hand coordination.

Thirdly, the atmosphere that we (John and I) establish and maintain is relaxed, informal, and accepting. This, in turn, results in the Warriors talking about their experiences with us and with each other. Some of the conversations are very interesting and informative. I’ve learned quite a bit about tanks in the mid-east. Within the group there are two Warriors who were on tank crews and its fascinating to listen to them talk about the merits of a particular model that is being constructed. Some of the conversations focus on combat, or combat patrols and what happened on those patrols. Those stories, John and I agreed, are not shared outside of the ABC group, but the freedom to talk about their experiences is helpful to the Warriors.

The contributions which have come from IPMS members and others who have contributed to the program, which are in the form of kits, tools, and cash, are being used to good advantage. We are now using the collected resources to acquire tools specific to an individual Warrior’s needs. We will be providing some “extra hands” tools, specific paint colors, and in some cases, particular models to the Warriors.

If your chapter wishes to donate, or if you, as an individual, wish to make a donation, I can provide a short list of tools that are always in demand, a short list of kits or subject matter that the Warriors have requested, or describe a process by which you can provide a credit card donation through a local hobby shop that provides our program a nice discount. (That would be Hill Country Hobbies in San Antonio)

The Warriors always ask that we share their appreciation for the kits and tools, so from the Warriors and their families, please accept this “BIG THANKS!”

In the images from this ABC you can see one of the Warriors in the process of demonstrating his dry-brushing technique, and you and also see the variety of subject matter that is on the table. Please feel free to contact me via email if you have any questions or if you wish to make a donation. (ipmssec@ipmsusa.org)

The first ABC (Adult Building Course) of 2012 with the Wounded Warriors took place on Jan 10th. John Dinsmore (Co-Coach) and I met with 5 individuals and spent an enjoyable two hours painting, sanding, and gluing some armor, aircraft, and war gaming figures.

John and I knew that, as part of the ABC, some of the Warriors would share their experiences with the group, and while we do not ask about such things the stories tend to surface as the work on the models progresses. We’ve found that there are three clear results from our Wounded Warrior ABCs.

First, everyone in attendance enjoys two hours of modeling and that basic modeling skills are shared with the participants and practiced. In fact, last night one of the Warriors demonstrated his dry-brushing technique that he uses on his Wargaming pieces with the other Warriors!

Secondly, it is common for a participant to discuss the idea that working on models is excellent therapy for injured fingers and hands, as well as working on eye-hand coordination.

Thirdly, the atmosphere that we (John and I) establish and maintain is relaxed, informal, and accepting. This, in turn, results in the Warriors talking about their experiences with us and with each other. Some of the conversations are very interesting and informative. I’ve learned quite a bit about tanks in the mid-east. Within the group there are two Warriors who were on tank crews and its fascinating to listen to them talk about the merits of a particular model that is being constructed. Some of the conversations focus on combat, or combat patrols and what happened on those patrols. Those stories, John and I agreed, are not shared outside of the ABC group, but the freedom to talk about their experiences is helpful to the Warriors.

The contributions which have come from IPMS members and others who have contributed to the program, which are in the form of kits, tools, and cash, are being used to good advantage. We are now using the collected resources to acquire tools specific to an individual Warrior’s needs. We will be providing some “extra hands” tools, specific paint colors, and in some cases, particular models to the Warriors.

If your chapter wishes to donate, or if you, as an individual, wish to make a donation, I can provide a short list of tools that are always in demand, a short list of kits or subject matter that the Warriors have requested, or describe a process by which you can provide a credit card donation through a local hobby shop that provides our program a nice discount. (That would be Hill Country Hobbies in San Antonio)

The Warriors always ask that we share their appreciation for the kits and tools, so from the Warriors and their families, please accept this “BIG THANKS!”

In the images from this ABC you can see one of the Warriors in the process of demonstrating his dry-brushing technique, and you and also see the variety of subject matter that is on the table. Please feel free to contact me via email if you have any questions or if you wish to make a donation. (ipmssec@ipmsusa.org)

MVC-037S.jpg

MVC-040S.jpg

MVC-039S.jpg

MVC-036S.jpg

MVC-038S.jpg

• 2 weeks later...

Thanks to John Cox, Frederick Smith, IPMS Northern Virginia, and IPMS Brooklyn for some recently received donations for the Wounded Warriors. Included were some magazines, armor kits, Sci-Fi kits, ships, cars, and an airbrush!

The program is moving along well, thanks to the donations that we receive from you, and also because the Warriors are willing to join us during our ABC sessions. Also very much appreciated is the "acreage" supplied to us by the Family Warrior Support Center. We can spread out, lay out the tools and kits, and enjoy modeling in a comfortable environment.

IPMS Member John Dinsmore and I held another ABC at Brooke Army Med Ctr. on the 24th, and there was a lot going on. Some returning participants were working on a Corsair and a Sherman and some war-gaming figures that they had started during previous sessions. In the images below, one can also see a couple of cars (a Corvette) and some armor.

The kits came from donations gathered through the IPMS Support The Troops program. Most of the tools that are in the pictures came from donations as well. Each participant is given most of the tools that are made available to them during the ABC.

Of course, along with the modeling, war stories were shared and experiences were the topic of the day.

All of the participants were very appreciative of the opportunity to enjoy a few hours of modeling. John and I pass along that appreciation to you..............for the models and for the tools.

(If you wish to make a donation, or if your club wishes to make a donation, please contact me at ipmssec@ipmsusa.org )

Now, take a look at some of the pics!

In the image below, the Tamiya paint stand is a donated item.....

Img_0422.jpg

Img_0419.jpg

The Serman gets a coat of Tamiya putty, simulating mud.

IMG_0421.jpg

Another Warrior selected an Abrams kit............the tools seen in the image were all donations.

Img_0420.jpg

This Warrior chose a Corvette kit...........

Img_0418.jpg

Another auto subject.......................

Img_0417.jpg

• 3 weeks later...

Another ABC (Adult Build Course) took place with the Wounded Warriors at Brooke Army Med. Ctr. on Feb 8th. IPMS member John Dinsmore and I met with the Warriors for two hours, enjoying some time away from the business of the day, sharing some stories, and discussing models and modeling techniques.

The “usual” attendees were joined by three nuggets, two of whom worked on car models, the third watching his buddy and taking some pictures. The models that were being built, the paints being used, the glue being applied, and all of the tools were donated by people like you! Please know that each Warrior expresses their thanks to John and I at the end of each session, and that “thanks” is passed along to every donor for their generosity and effort in getting those donations to the Warriors.

What do the Warriors need?

1. Model kits…. All types, all scales, even slightly “used” models are accepted. All donated items are inventoried and missing or damaged parts are replaced as best we can work out the details.

2. Paint…. While all types of paint are gladly accepted we have a specific need for Vallejo paint at this time.

3. Tools….You name it, the Warriors can use it.

4. Books and Magazines…. All types, but better if they are related to modeling or history.

Thanks goes to Chuck Adams of CM Toys who made a huge contribution of paint, and to Hill Country Hobby. Hill Country serves as a drop-off point for donations and also provides John and I with a very substantial discount on items purchased for the Warriors.

If you or your chapter wishes to make a donation to the “Support the Troops” program, please contact me at IPMSSEC@IPMSUSA.ORG. If you are aware of a person or family trying to dispose of big chunks of their collection please encourage them to think about this program as a potential recipient for those items on the disposal list.

(All donors receive a Certificate of Acknowledgment and Appreciation from Ft. Sam Houston)

Now, please enjoy these images from the Feb 8 session:

This Warrior is especially pleased with the pilot figure:Img_0433.jpg

Img_0434.jpg

Clearly, the Warriors need paint brushes to work on such items as the pilot and cockpit!

Hans proudly presents his Sherman...

Img_0430.jpg

These images of the Sherman were taken prior to a demo on making antennas with stretched sprue.

Img_0429.jpg

Hans used Tamiya putty to "make the mud" and then painted it with some Vallejo colors.Img_0428.jpg

Hans is also workin on a piece of Iraqi armor, which was received as a donated item.

Img_0432.jpg

Check out the jeep! The rims and wheels were painted during the course of the evening. By the way...notice the battery powered light stand. The Warriors stay in "dorm" rooms that are poorly lit (at least from a modeler's perspective) and these lamps were provided as a donation by John Dinsmore. They can be found at Hobby Lobby and would make a much appreciated donated item should you be so inclined.

Img_0425.jpg

Img_0427.jpg

One of our "nuggets" begins work on a car.

Img_0431.jpg

Img_0437.jpg

And during the course of the evening the motor and most of the suspension was completed!

Img_0435.jpg

This program works because of the outstanding and much appreciated generousity of the modeling community. The Warriors say, "Thanks!".

Hi, Dick,

In one of the earlier photos in this thread, you mentioned an HO train layout for the warriors's use and showed a photo. I have a locomotive and tender to donate to this layout. It was given to me by an elderly member of my church--a retired U.S. Navy captain--as a piece from the estate of his brother. He asked me to give it a good home for whatever price I could get to help out my IPMS chapter. Nobody in the chapter was interested, so I still have it. I've tested it on track, so I know it works.

The engine and tender are die cast and high-gloss laquer painted in Southern Crescent Limited green and gold markings. It was intended to be a shelf display item with a section of track included for a base. The ID plates on the engine and tender show copyright "1989 FMPM" in engraved characters.

I do not believe I am violating the spirit of the intent of this donation by forwarding it to you for delivery to the laytout. As a train buff, you can clean it up and straighten out the bent brass fittings as needed. PM me with your address so I can send it to you.

Ed

The HO layout has been moved into the main room to allow for greater access. I'll be pleased to accept the loco and tender and get the donation paperwork completed. Our next meeting with the Warriors is scheduled for the 22nd of this month and if the "train is on time" I'll deliver it on that date.

PM to follow.