Another one for the Duke's Trophy Case

Mark Deliduka

Yesterday I spent the day at Orangecon, the yearly big contest held by my IPMS club here in Southern California. I had a blast! It was one of the best days ever. I won five raffle prizes; one of which I sold, and I also took delivery (finally!) of my 1/72 scale German Dora Railgun! What a monster that beast is!

The cream of the day is the fact that I also placed Third in Rotary Wing Aircraft; All Types, All Scales with my Hobbycraft 1/72 scale Piasecki H-21 Flying Banana!

Orangecon_2011_Third_Place.JPG

I consider any award I win at Orangecon to be second only to an award from the Nationals. Then again, it is my club's contest; and it is the premier contest in Southern California. It is also the toughest one for me to place in and that means I earned it!

Now that all that is done; I'll be trying to finish up my armored train before I start that monster Dora. I'm hoping by the end of the year I'll be done with the train and then I can start the New Year with the Dora under construction.

1/72 Dora?

Come on Duke.... be a REAL Modeler and tackle the 1/35 monster kit!

Look at the bright side. After your wife kicks you out, you could live in the box!!!! :smiley16:

Alllllright!!! The Dukinator strikes again, and comes out shining! Way to go, buddy. (Party Time. Teehee.)

I was there with my son. I very impressed with your model. Its the one event I try to make every year since its close enough for me. To bad we didn't get to meet. I've never entered anything in a contest so kudos for not only entering but winning! I left a bit humbled (some of the cars were amazing,) and with a few treasures from the goody room so all in all a good day.

Edited by Dreamsof51

1/72 Dora?

Look at the bright side. After your wife kicks you out, you could live in the box!!!! :smiley16:

LOL! I've seen the 1/35th scale Dora built. I won't even think of trying that one. Several reasons why:

A) WAY too expensive for me!

B) WAY beyond my skill level.

C) Doesn't fit in my 1/72 scale-consistent collection

D) Doesn't fit ANYWHERE in my house! I already don't have room for all 46 inches of my 1/72 scale Dora; I certainly have no place to put a five-foot- long Dora!

Thanks for the great laugh James!

Chris, thanks! They were all hand made by members of the club.

Thanks Gil!

Ken, thanks! Yeah, I'm partyin' alright! This is second only to a Nationals award due to how difficult it is for me to place in my own club's major contest!

I was there with my son. I very impressed with your model. Its the one event I try to make every year since its close enough for me. To bad we didn't get to meet. I've never entered anything in a contest so kudos for not only entering but winning! I left a bit humbled (some of the cars were amazing,) and with a few treasures from the goody room so all in all a good day.

Chris, I'm glad you made it. I think we may have spoken to each other, although we didn't introduce ourselves. I was walking arounf wearing my black IPMS Orange County shirt that said "Why yes! I have done some modeling!" on the front. I do remember talking with a couple of gentlemen who'd brought their sons, one of them may have been you. I wish I'd known. I've missed two people who I know on a couple of forums who were there.

I'm glad you were there and I hope the hobby rubs off on your son too. Congrats on the scores from the Vendor Room; I picked up a few as well. I also scored five prizes in the raffle; one of which I sold. Chris, never fear entering a contest. If anything, you'll learn quickly and concisely where you can improve; and if you judge, you get to see first-hand what judges look for. I go into Orangecon expecting to get skunked due to all the fantastic talent there; so when I do place, it is all cream! My enjoyment comes from meeting everyone; showing off my latest work; getting critiques and suggestions from all the other outstanding talent; and stalking deals in the Vendor room. I even stayed to judge for the first time ever! I was having a blast long before the awards were announced!

Thanks again everyone for the awesome comments!

I would really like to know how on earth the person who built the brown metallic finished car with the graphics got it to look like a mirror. My airplanes are up there but after seeing that I realized my car finishes have a ways to go. have to catch each other at next years for sure. I see theres a show in Lancaster coming up. Do you every go to that one?

1/72 Dora?

LOL! I've seen the 1/35th scale Dora built. I won't even think of trying that one. Several reasons why:

A) WAY too expensive for me!

B) WAY beyond my skill level.

C) Doesn't fit in my 1/72 scale-consistent collection

D) Doesn't fit ANYWHERE in my house! I already don't have room for all 46 inches of my 1/72 scale Dora; I certainly have no place to put a five-foot- long Dora!

Thanks for the great laugh James!

Chris, thanks! They were all hand made by members of the club.

Thanks Gil!

Ken, thanks! Yeah, I'm partyin' alright! This is second only to a Nationals award due to how difficult it is for me to place in my own club's major contest!

Chris, I'm glad you made it. I think we may have spoken to each other, although we didn't introduce ourselves. I was walking arounf wearing my black IPMS Orange County shirt that said "Why yes! I have done some modeling!" on the front. I do remember talking with a couple of gentlemen who'd brought their sons, one of them may have been you. I wish I'd known. I've missed two people who I know on a couple of forums who were there.

I'm glad you were there and I hope the hobby rubs off on your son too. Congrats on the scores from the Vendor Room; I picked up a few as well. I also scored five prizes in the raffle; one of which I sold. Chris, never fear entering a contest. If anything, you'll learn quickly and concisely where you can improve; and if you judge, you get to see first-hand what judges look for. I go into Orangecon expecting to get skunked due to all the fantastic talent there; so when I do place, it is all cream! My enjoyment comes from meeting everyone; showing off my latest work; getting critiques and suggestions from all the other outstanding talent; and stalking deals in the Vendor room. I even stayed to judge for the first time ever! I was having a blast long before the awards were announced!

Thanks again everyone for the awesome comments!

Chris,

One thing to do is to polish out the plastic to a mirror finish before you paint. Then add a thin coat of Alclad polishèd aluminum and buff it out. Repeat until you're satisfied. Then once this is done you can add the different shades, polishing after each step. I use micromesh pads up to 12000 and novus #1 plastic clean & shine.

I've been able to do this without priming on bare plastic mostly because what the cleaning process misses the polishing process gets so there isn't ant releasing agents left to foul up the paint and it adheres beautifully.

Chris, yes I do go to the Antelope Valley/Lancaster show. I'm planning on going to that again this year. Hopefully I'll have a few additional models done to take to it. Keep me posted on whether you'll be able to attend also. Maybe then we can hook up.

More great advise. I've come close on a couple projects but not quite there yet. I'll give that a try.

Chris,

One thing to do is to polish out the plastic to a mirror finish before you paint. Then add a thin coat of Alclad polishèd aluminum and buff it out. Repeat until you're satisfied. Then once this is done you can add the different shades, polishing after each step. I use micromesh pads up to 12000 and novus #1 plastic clean & shine.

I've been able to do this without priming on bare plastic mostly because what the cleaning process misses the polishing process gets so there isn't ant releasing agents left to foul up the paint and it adheres beautifully.

Congratulations Duke. Another fine model! On to the next challenge! Best,

Mark Fiedler (aAzZ09)

IPMS #14333