Using canopy mask as a template?

burner12

I have been having a tough time trying to free hand my 1/48 Super Hornet canopy. I did a search and found no canopy masks for a super hornet, but later found one that is exactly what I need. So I purchased that, an Eduard 1/48 F/A-18E canopy mask. What I'd like to know is since canopy masks are 1 time use only, can you using the outline that was left on the card, after you peel up the mask, to use as a future template to make your own?

Why not? It seems that the only limitation is your own skill in handling the knife when tracing and cutting the new masking material under your template. Great ideas are sometimes too simple to be obvious...like this one. :smiley20:

Ed

That's what i thought but didn't know. In my opinion the good thing is you'll have the template in front of you so if you make a mistake of cutting it, just go back and redo it.

What would be good tape to use for cutting out another copy of the template? I tried masking tape, hard to cut, scotch, brittle, and tamiya, fair but wrinkles easily.

Edited by burner12

One can also use the remainder of the vinyl sheet (that which is left after you've removed the masking for the canopy)..... it can be cut and applied like tape and works nicely to mask off small areas.

One can also use the remainder of the vinyl sheet (that which is left after you've removed the masking for the canopy)..... it can be cut and applied like tape and works nicely to mask off small areas.

Thanks Dick, hadn't thought about that.:smiley20: