O-1 Bird Dog

Wildcat

Started Model USA O-1 Bird Dog. These little guys flew at the top of our hunter-killer teams in that exotic SE Asian country I spent some time in a few years back...

IMAG0208.jpg

I'm looking forward to your "build reports". I've got one of these on the "To Do" shelf....

I've got one too, but held off because of all the posts regarding difficulty back in the day. Figured my meager aircraft skills were not strong enough Kung Fu to tackle the kit.

I appreciate the vote of confidence, deserved or not! :smiley17:

Apparently you punched the dials out? If I have to use my 25yr old set of Waldron punches, I WON'T be able to do it.......:smiley13:

Looking great!

GIL :smiley16:

Edited by ghodges

I appreciate the vote of confidence, deserved or not! :smiley17:

Apparently you punched the dials out? If I have to use my 25yr old set of Waldron punches, I WON'T be able to do it.......:smiley13:

Looking great!

Actually I was using the punch for something else. I just cut the MG decals out with those squizzer things.

This is really turning out to be a nice kit. Think early Classic Airframes. Lots of cleanup but the interior detail is great. Really makes you feel you could just climb in and fly it. (Well, not you, Gil 'cause Homeland Security would be all over ya') :smiley2::smiley2:

SHHHHhhhhhh.........:smiley7:

You tryin' to blow my DEEP cover and waste all these years I've been infiltrating IPMS? :smiley18: Besides, I shaved my beard.......it was the only way to get a flight to Omaha...:smiley17:

I built this kit when it first came out and after having read a book on the history of FACs over Vietnam. I had some difficulty getting the cockpit floor to level out with the door sill opening. Also be warned, the landing gear legs will splay out over time under the weight of the model. There are brakes lines that run down them on the real thing. Some stiff wire might help the situation. The finished kit is really nice, especially the mini M-16 provided. Not something you see everyday. It took some guts to do this kind of work. Low and slow over hostile territory. One saving grace was the enemy came to realize if these guys turned on your position and maked it with rockets, you were going to have visitors soon so they tended to keep quiet. Enjoy the build,its a nice kit overall.