Another car guy hanging around

Alyn

I posted an intro in the "Welcome to the Forum" section a day or two ago, but since I'm an automotive modeling, I thought I'd say hello here as well.

I live with my wife in a suburb community adjacent to Kansas City where I work as a telecommunication engineer. I've only been building models for the last couple of years, so my collection of completed cars is quite small, amounting to less than a dozen. My long background as a car guy, an engineering brain, attention to detail and creative genes have been a great help in supplying the necessary skills to do some decent work. Here's one of the first; a mostly stock 37 Chevy business coupe modeled after a car owned by my grandfather, then father and now in my sisters hands. It's been in the family a long time.

Here's a link to my brief intro with a few other examples of what I'm up to.

http://forum.ipmsusa...-the-heartland/

Im001934b.jpg?psid=1

• Like 1

Welcome, Alyn,

Is the '37 Chevy a model of the real car now owned by your sister? If so, the white paint must be a repaint color, or did Chevy sell white cars back then? I applaud your keeping the car in the family so long. I wish I still had a couple of my first cars, notably my 1968 Pontiac GTO convertible with 4-speed and 400-cid motor. My current special purchase is the 2002 Pontiac Trans Am WS6 Collector Edition T-top with 6-speed manual, which I bought new and still has less than 4,000 miles on it.

I build automotive along with the other classes, being more a generalist than a dedicated specific type of modeler. I have cars, aircraft, ships, figures, sci-fi,and military vehicles all open and slowly in progress at this time. Perhaps some year I will finish something.

The photos you take are excellent for their composition, including the backgrounds. They really help make the models look their best.

Ed

Thanks, guys.

Ed, my sister has the 1:1 car now. The car was light green when my Dad got it from his dad. My cousin owned a small body and paint shop, so he and I stripped it down in the mid 70's for a repaint. If I remember correctly, the car was a medium to dark blue under the green. We patched in some rusted areas and did some minor body work on the car, and then painted it Cadillac Empire Maroon metalic. It stayed that color for many years, but eventually my Dad had it painted the white that remains today. Unfortunately, the white is getting a little dated as well, so it doesn't look as good as the model.

And, thanks for the compliments on the photo's. I try to make my models as un-model like as I can. A decent photo with the proper background help out quite a bit.

Welcome to the community. Great looking work for being relatively new to the hobby. I love the pic in the other tread showing the inner workings of the door. Very cool! The special treatment to the bench seat is impressive too.