Greetings from the Heartland

Alyn

Hello, Gentlemen.

I joined the IPMS last spring and just recently started checking out the forums. I grew up in Salt Lake City, and have since settled in the Kansas City area by way of Minneapolis(2 years) and New Jersey (2 years). Like so many modelers, I built a few dozen glue bombs in my younger days and then drifted away for many years. A couple of years ago I decided it was high time I finished a Corvette model that my wife gave me for Christmas. That sparked a renewed interest in modeling, so at 60 years young, here I am. Boy have things progressed!

My interests are along automotive lines. I've completed just shy of a dozen models in the last couple of years, mostly early hot rods, but I appreciate modeling of all sorts and have learned a tremendous amount from all segments of the hobby.

Glad to be on board and looking to get to know you all better.

Regards,

Alyn Loya

Welcome Alyn! Glad to have you, and I think you'll find an avid group of car builders. I don't build many myself, but lean towards hot rods and sports cars when I do, as opposed to racers and stock/showroom types. Post some of your builds when you can. In the meantime, enjoy the manic mayhem!

GIL :smiley16:

Edited by ghodges

Alyn,

Even though you build cars, You are most welcome and among some great car builders!!!!! Glad to have you on the forums!!!!

Mark

Welcome aboard Alyn. I have a rather eclectic range of subject interests and when it comes to automotives I do NASCAR with a smattering of 1950's and earlier show-room stuff. Currently its a Jeff Gordon NASCAR kit! How about sharing some pics with us?

Thank you all for the welcome. I've only been building for a few years, so my bench isn't very deep. Here's part of a 62 Pontiac I'm currently working on. The kit provides a dual four barrel intake, but I wanted to do something different, so I've scratch built a Hilborn style injection system. The first pic is the scratch built fuel distribution block.

Img_2293b.jpg?psid=1

This next one is a mock-up of where the motor is at this point. All the silver gray parts on top are handmade, mostly from styrene rod and card stock.

Img_2508b.jpg?psid=1

A couple more of my 32 Ford sedan. All the engine detailis scratch built, including carburetor linkage, headers, spark plugs, etc. The engine turned firewall is hand machined using a flattened toothpick and the cowl vent is hinged.

32_Ford_4_engine.JPG?psid=1

Img_2122.jpg?psid=1

One more of a 40 Ford business coupe "rat rod". Once again, the engine is detail is hand made, as is the structural panels in the interior. The striped seat insert was created with four colors of sewing thread, laid side by side.Both flathead V8's have megaphone style headers made from paint brush ferrules.

IMG_7728b.jpg?psid=1

Dude! You've got SKILLS! Using the sewing thread for seat cover material is a new one on me, and it looks impressive. Be sure to post this stuff down in the Automotive topics too.They're gonna LOVE you! Welcome!

GIL :smiley16:

Thanks to both of you guys for the kind words. For the record, I got the basic idea of the thread method from a Ken Hamilton tutorial on Mexican blankets. I just modified it for use as a seat insert.

• Like 1