1/48 Sea Hurricane - DONE!!

ghodges

There's a Fellowship Build for Hurricanes over on Agapemodels.com, and the old Monogram kit is all I had in the stash! As I have a couple of them on the shelf already, I decided to convert it to a Sea Hurricane.

All that's needed for that is some simple cutting and boxing in in the rear. I've also built the arrestor hook, but forget to take a pic of it!

100_3730.jpg

It needs a totally scratch built interior, as it comes with none!

100_3729.jpg

100_3727.jpg

And here is the rest of the cockpit, except the main panel, which still needs to be built up.

100_3724.jpg

You can also see the main gear rebuilt (originally designed to function) and detailed with actuators...

Which fits into the boxed in main gear wells...

100_3735.jpg

Still have a l-o-n-g way to go, but the hardest work is done. Questions, comments, and critiques welcome as always!

GIL :smiley16:

Edited by ghodges

Ahhh...Fame! :smiley32: Yes, those are some of my old pe parts thrown in there for gratuitous (and inaccurate) detailing! :smiley17: The rest are gathered from an old Airwaves "generic" cockpit detail set (who obviously copied MY idea!)

There's no difference. But, since Agapemodels.com is a Christian modeling website, they use the term "fellowship".

Made a small allowance for accuracy and modified my floor, making some cut-outs so the "whole" floor looks more "floorless" when installed.

This is the new look...

100_3740.jpg

The slot for the shoulder harness and the headrest have also been added, as well as detailing for the foot channels. That nasty looking area will be covered by the seat! :smiley20:

Edited by ghodges

• 2 weeks later...

Model has been rescribed, but no sanding has been done yet. Yeah...I could've worked for Matchbox! :smiley24: Hopefully, the panel lines will look much better after all the surface sanding has been done.;)

100_3817.jpg

Also, you may note the white right tailplane. My kit was MISSING it! I don't know if I lost it, or if it was gone when I bought the kit from a vendor, but regardless, I had to scratchbuild a new one. I superglued 2 sheets of plastic together and used the left tail plane to size it and rough shape it. I used a motor tool and a half-round file to make the "sagged" areas (to match the kit part better), and then scribed in the elevator and trim tab. In between all of that was a lot of sanding with 360/400/600 grit sanding sticks to establish the airfoil shape and thin the trailing edges. Wire pins were added to mount it to the fuselage. This was easier than I has anticipated and only took about an hour. Hope to start painting by the holiday on Monday! Cheers!

Edited by ghodges

Progress made on the wings....

100_3822.jpg

100_3823.jpg

This closer look shows off the tip light and the leading edge light housing a bit better.

100_3826.jpg

I also got the cockpit painted interior green, which you can see some of on the top center of the wing. Questions, critiques, and comments welcome!

• 2 weeks later...

Slow progress continues......

I decided to keep it simple with the light housings, and drilled a hole for an MV lens. The clear cover will be done with packing tape at the end of the build.

100_3831.jpg

The interior is painted too. The belts/buckles are pre-painted Eduard RAF items. All of it is now buttoned up in the fusleage.

100_3835.jpg

100_3836.jpg

Now it's back to more filling and sanding chores! Cheers!

• 2 weeks later...

She is decaled, except for the "horsey" Porsche-like shields that go under the cockpit. My buddy Jerry is making those for me on his Alps printer, and will be added when I get them! The decals are all form the spares box, and are a mixture of Microscale and old War Eagle decals. "Nicki" was done with individual dry transfer lettering, applied directly to the nose and then sealed with another gloss coat.

100_3909.jpg

100_3911.jpg

The wash is next! Cheers!

Except for the 2 shield decals mentioned above, she is fini!

100_3928.jpg

100_3941.jpg

100_3938.jpg

100_3935.jpg

100_3937.jpg

The landing lights are MV lenses with clear tape covers. The windshield and canopy are Falcon vac items. Overall, I'm happy with the way it came out. It has too many warts to win at a show, but I'll proudly display it none the less! Questions, comments, and critiques welcome! Cheers!

Edited by ghodges

What Jeff said. Wonderful piece of work and super posting on the Agape.

'Fear not the basic kit!' Am inspired here to "dance with the girl I brung" (e.g. build the kits in the stash, knowing they can be done up like this), rather than upgrade to each next more expensive offering.

I finally got my shield decals from my buddy Jerry and they look GREAT! I put them on the model this afternoon, but can't take pics 'cause of other work going on in the garage near the bench. We had to have an entire new air handler installed for the furnace/ac, to the tune of $2grand! :smiley7:

I'll try to post the final pics tomorrow evening!

• 3 weeks later...

Gil ....it's taken a couple of days* to get my input on-line, but I only wanted to say how nice it is to see such a nice job done on a forty year old kit! So many IPMS'ers, while complaining vigorously about the high price of "furriner" plastic, still break the kids' piggy banks to buy it. We're supposed to be MODELERS, not assemblers! Thanks for your outstanding demo of that principle.

* Due to a technical problem (insufficient computer expertise) the forum acted like I was some Chinese hacker trying to break open a Wall Street. I couldn't get my account opened; the IPMS website just about flamed my computer by remote control. But Dennis Tennant (moderator) personally set me straight quickly, and I'm back among the world of the semi-literate PC drivers.

Keep up the good work....

Fred Horky

IPMS# 6390