New trend in mail order vendors

TheWalrus

So there I was......Getting ready to place a nice sized Squadron order.....then I remembered that I was going on Vacation Saturday and wouldn't be here to get it anyways. So I have decided to wait and check out the LHS's in the Virginia area and see what's up!

Edited by Mark Aldrich

I've only pre-ordered a few of things in my life. The first one was the Trumpeter 1/32 scale A-10A from Nostalgic Plastic. The next one was a "have to have" 1/72 scale Fine Molds X-Wing fighter from hobby Link Japan. At the time, I got two of them (one to build gear up and gear down) for $34 delivered and they arrived right about 30 days from date of order. In the states, I would have paid double that for one when they first came out.

Recently, I just pre-ordered the new CyberHobby/Dragon Ka-Mi with pontoons. Most CH kits pop up and then vanish. I figured I'd get one while I could.

I do not visit my local hobby shop often enough to be lucky and get one while it's there. Besides, my LHS is a little more than a 100 miles round trip. Considering my Outback gets about 30 mpg, it costs me a little over $10 in gas alone. I'll get a club discount of 10% which wipes the sales tax and a few cents more. Ordering online is often cheaper than driving to the store.

I still buy paint and supplies and grab the occasional kit on sale when I see one, but eBay and the buy/sell/trade forums have become my source for the most part.

• 2 weeks later...

As to support the LHS....they make impossible to do so...example....Minicraft 1/144 DC9....LHS price $29(and that is with a 20% discount for IPMS\Model club) Amazon price $20 WITH shipping.

Preorders have always been used to gauge interest in a release...At least Sprue Brothers has fantastic customer service, lightning shipping, and real time in stock status.

• 4 weeks later...

Preorders have always been used to gauge interest in a release...At least Sprue Brothers has fantastic customer service, lightning shipping, and real time in stock status.

I've been tempted by several of these 'trial balloons', most recently the Revell 1/48th scale Ventura from GreatModels. I almost bit but then it went back-burner. It's back again but I think I can wait for any/all of these "must have" kits to actually hit the market.

Frank

• 2 weeks later...

My grip is with shops that list a kit/accessory in stock only to find out after paying the item is on back order. Pre-orders I can understand the delay, but come on now if you have the item say so and if you don't say so! I placed an order at the beginning of Nov from a place I have been buying from for a while now. The same day I placed the same order from a UK store. Both places indicated they had one item in stock and I needed two. The UK store mailed the item the week after I ordered and it arrived yesterday. The other is still on hold. The USA store has always been a bit higher on shipping but they were fast. Lately they have slowed down so the extra shipping cost is not as palatable as it used to be.

James I wish there was a store near me that could get what I need, but the extra I pay for special orders is not worth it most of the time.

Edit post:

All items ordered have arrived in good shape now. The back order took a bit longer, and I plan to still do business with the store. However I still hope stores will post items not in stock so there is no suprise.

Edited by sumterIII

• 4 weeks later...

Charging your account immediately for items on back order is simply an insidious practice. It puts the buyer in a very poor situation if the company goes bust and they may as well write off what they have spent if this happens. It makes you wonder what their cashflow situation is like to have to trade like this.

Many other firms will only invoice upon despatch....Far better to support them. At least you are keeping the cash in your own account and not propping up businesses that possibly may falter.