Warn Status Bar

Greyhound

Eric is right. They are a tool for us to see who has been naughty recently and for you to know that your behavior here has you on our radar. They disappear whenever I feel they've served their purpose, usually six months or so after an infraction...but don't hold me to that. :smiley16:

Dan, a violation of the Acceptable Use Policy (AUP), better known as the forum rules. One violation will usually trigger a written "word to the wise" from me or a moderator. Repeated or gross violations will cause to to have a ding added to your warning bar. And like Eric said, it's not something that is seen by other members, just those who volunteer to keep the forums running in a civil manner.

Dan,

I hope you noticed that the "wild things" are kept within their own special forums (Bull Pen) and that IPMS/USA business and the political aspects of this society are in separate forums too. If you have no interest in the sometimes petty wranglings that happen there stay away. The modeling forums are open to everyone and helpful topics such as our tips and techniques and photography forums are found there.

So please feel free to comment, add tips, show off your newest project and connect with other members. As forums go, this one is extremely welcoming to new people and we love to see photos of your work.

Again, think of the forums as a buffet, if you only want dessert, you know where to go!

Enjoy,

Dennis

• 3 months later...

Gee, Dennis; I'm glad I found your explanation of that "Warn" status! I was fearful that I was on probabation or something! :smiley13: Having had a ten or so years on the e-board including several terms each as Prez and DLC, I was sort of worried that my Elder Statesman status was in jeopardy!

As I'm sure you have figured out I'm one of the old-codger-members who post infrequently but when I do, include many words. My membership goes back forty-three years; and if my membership application hadn't been lost the first time ...all I received back from IPMS/USA that time was a cancelled check ...my seniority (I'm #6390) would have been even further back. Today's members have NO idea how much the personal computer has revolutionized this society. (I came in as DLC with NO turnover from my predecessor, and had to create a National Chapter database from scratch using an Apple IIe ...could I tell the stories....

Besides this message I'm typing now, my only other Forum posts in, like, ages; have been earlier this afternoon. The first was adding my confession in the sometimes evidently-controversial Bull Pen forum about the passing of actor Harry Morgan (Col Sherman T Potter of M*A*S*H on Dec 7th. I hadn't known it! :smiley13: Also this PM, I posted a link to the 2012 convention Forum reminding members of the Convention Decal trophy sponsored by we old fart E-board members.

Meanwhile, just a glance at my avatar gives away my greybeard status, with the 35,000' self-portrait wearing my antique, mid-1950's USAF helmet... :Smile_sceptic:

• 2 months later...
Gee, Dennis; I'm glad I found your explanation of that "Warn" status! I was fearful that I was on probabation or something! Having had a ten or so years on the e-board including several terms each as Prez and DLC, I was sort of worried that my Elder Statesman status was in jeopardy!

This is why I kinda have a problem with the WARN STATUS: While the forum moderator is absolutely mandated, nay required, to police this forum, this particular device smacks of the PC/Big Brother/Soviet thought police that I can generally ignore in pursuing the hobby. Go ahead and state the forum ROEs early and often and remove posts that take it down inappropriate roads. You bet. That's your call to make. But that WARN STATUS thing just creeps me out.

VonL: And I'm not a big fan of the warning status bar either. Unfortunately, it's the only tool we have to give members a reminder that they've gotten out of line and have violated forum rules in some way. As for the ROE you mention, we have 'em. They can be found by clicking on the forum rules link found at the top of every forum page. Remember, it's only viewable by you and the forum moderation staff. Hope this explains things for you...

You guys got it all wrong!!!!! It is like a badge of honor!!!!! I like it...I wish I posted bad things!!!! I like seeming like a bad boy!!!!! I mean I am already a TreadHead...might as well have the visual to go along with it!!!

:Smile_sceptic:

Edited by Mark Aldrich

Heck, I know some people (names withheld to protect the guilty) who consider a bar or two on the warning strip a badge of honor. Sort of like the old Meteor Productions "Black List"!

And don't worry Aldrich, we all KNOW about you.....

Please.....I'll let you in on a little SECRET......(Don't tell ANYONE)!!!! I had a certain moderator (who's identity will remain secret), jack up my warning status and not a SINGLE person noticed!!!! Well, one did but I know WHY he did! So, just goes to show......not a whole lot of us look at, worry about, or wonder about that warning bar!!!!

:Smile_sceptic:

Edited by Mark Aldrich

A politician, a celebrity, and an armor modeler walk into a status bar. The bartender yells, "Hey you guys can't come in here!" The armor modeler replys, "It's OK. They're with me."

(cricket)

Tough crowd, tough crowd.

Rick L.

• 2 months later...

Well, then, girls, if a lick or two on the warn status bar is a badge of honor and a good thing then being banned for 6-months is like the ultimate. I wear it proudly. If you manage to tick off enough of the right (wrong) people you must be doing something right. Especially when they feel the need to shut you up.

Uuurah!! :drillsergeant: :smiley20:

You've been trying hard to get my attention, David.

Now you have it.

Please play nice. Your suspension was for violating the forum rules, nothing else.

If you recall, you were suspended for trolling the forums to trick members into going to a questionable modeling Web site (which has had the content removed thanks to action by the then-current e-board) and were told to stop.

Let this one go. It's old news and you've been given a second chance to post here.

You've been trying hard to get my attention, David.

Now you have it.

Please play nice. Your suspension was for violating the forum rules, nothing else.

If you recall, you were suspended for trolling the forums to trick members into going to a questionable modeling Web site (which has had the content removed thanks to action by the then-current e-board) and were told to stop.

Let this one go. It's old news and you've been given a second chance to post here.

Just a pin prick to see if you were paying attention. :D

Dennis - You've done an amazing job trying to deal with a very small group that will never get it. You have my 100 percent support for any of them that you can permanently boot off the forum. It is amazing how much more enjoyable this forum is when they are gone.

Thanks again

Mike

Guys - I orginally posted this on 20 September, 2011 when I was very new on this Forum and I really did not know very much about how this works [ not that I know much more now]. Eric and Dennis were very nice to give me answers to my question and I do appreciate that. However since then there has been several additionial post's added to this that talk about people being kicked off the Forum and other very serious issues that are somewhat confusing to a new member like me. I feel that I am being pulled into and associated with these negitive issues. I have tried to do my posting in such a way to be as helpful or positive as possible, with exception of a couple on "Bull Pin" where I think it is ok to be more direct about things. I have enjoyed being on this forum and would like to continue to take part in some way. Dan

You have a point, Dan. I agree this thread has gotten a bit far afield of the original poster's (you) intent. I'm closing this thread to new posts now. Any truncated discussion can resume in the Bull Pen forum or in the IPMS/USA Topics forum. Thanks.