Vallejo paints

tomk

I just started using Vallejo paints. Do I need to thin them for airbrushing? If so, with what? Do you have any other tips on using them.

thanks... tomk

I've been airbrushing them for a year now. I just use clean tap water, experiment on how much. To clean the airbrush afterwards, I again use tap water & run two cups through the airbrush. I then do a cup of Windex, then another a water. I have not had any problem clogging the airbrush or anything. It normally takes two coats to cover the model and put a clear coat on before you do any masking, even with Blue Tac, as the paint will pull up.

In this part of the country it is not advisable to use tap water. The calcium content in the water supply is high. Using distilled water to thin Vallejo has presented no problems. I like the paint very much.We are on a limestone base and its full of calcium carbonate. Putting about an inch of tap water in a glass results in a ring of calcium if the water is left standing for a day or so.

• 1 year later...

Many figure modellers use them here in Greece where I live--they have dropped oils and opted for these and seem to be swearing by them now.

Armor modellers use them for weathering effects.

I have not used them yet myself and saw they needed a lot of shaking to stir well and become useable.

One thing I do not like is they have a small hole at the top of the bottle through which I cannot put my usual minidrill mixing rod to stir the color.

I also assume they will be very similar to artists' acrylic tube colors, though I have not yet tested that yet to make sure. If they turn out to be similar to artists' colours, I will post it here.

Tim, did I hear right. It takes four cups of liquid to clean your airbrush after each color? That's a quart of liquid.

Ron,

You would have to buy Windex by the gallon for serious painting sessions. I'm guessing that "cup" is not a liquid quantity measure but it refers to the paint cup attached to the airbrush with less than 1 ounce of liquid measure. I would need a whole empty orange juice carton to contain just eight cups of waste liquid.

Ed