1/32 F-104 Starfighter Vietnam SEA camo decals?

burner12

Richard: I don't know of a dedicated "sheet" made that includes 'Nam markings. The short Google search I did revealed a lot of people looking for 1/32 F-104 decals! That said, I can offer you some help...

1) I have the Victory productions 1/48 sheet that has an 8th TFW SEA scheme on it. You could copy those markings and use that to enlarge to 1/32 and make a set of decals.

2) I believe I have an old Monogram 1/48 F-104C with SEA markings. Once again, you could copy those to make 1/32 decals

3) IF you have a particular scheme in mind, and know exactly the markings needed (i.e.- all of the individual letters, #s, and their sizes), we can search my decal spares and try to come up with what you need. The good thing about SEA schemes is that aside from the stuff on the tail, very often there's not a lot of other unit stuff on the plane, making it easier to cobble together markings!

Perhaps someone more knowledgeable will be along with some better directions soon. If not, use me to fall back on. Cheers!

GIL :smiley16:

Hi, Richard,

Here's a question I can answer. You are looking for the 1980 Revell Kit #4708 of the 1/32 F-104C/G Starfighter. There are parts for both versions, with choices to use Sidewinders, tip tanks, and 500-lb. bombs. The entire kit is molded in Army green plastic. The F-104C version only has the SEA camo paint scheme with limited decal markings. The specific aircraft is Serial 57-0929 "Smoke II" with no unit markings provided.

FWIW, the CF-104G version is marked as a bare metal RCAF fighter with more colorful decal markings.

This kit has rubber tires. The M-61 Vulcan cannon bay door can be displayed open to show the gun. There appear to be only 75 numbered parts to the kit. Good hunting. :smiley20:

Ed

The short Google search I did revealed a lot of people looking for 1/32 F-104 decals! That said, I can offer you some help...

I have three different 1/32 F-104 Starfighter kits, and these are the markings:

1. Hasegawa/Minicraft Kit #104 of the F-104C. Decals and painting instructions are for Serial #56-0891, Tactical Air Command, 405th Fighter Wing, CO Col. George C. Laven, Jr. The stripes are very colorful. I have Microscale Sheet #32-40 in this box, with three more aircraft choices for the F-104A model: F-104A from 83rd FIS Serial #56-0781 in bare metal; YF-104A NASA #818 in white/dark blue/light blue; and F-104A from 337th FIS Serial #56-0826 in bare metal.

2. 1980 Revell Kit #4708 of the F-104C/G fully described in one of the above posts.

3. 1991 Revell Kit #4731 of the F-104G. Molded in bright red plastic, decals and painting instrructions are for CAF Serial #104805. The purist will paint gloss red over the red plastic before applying the mostly-white markings for the 25th anniversary of the CAF. The kids could build it without paint on the red plastic and still get a decent model with the decals. The pieces to convert to the F-104C are in the box, but they are not identified in the instructions.

I'm sure there were other 1/32 F-104 kits issued, but someone else will have to provide those details. I only know about Microscale Sheet #32-40 for aftermarket decals.

Ed