Albatros D-v Eduard 1/48 Weekend Edition

dcaponeII

That's a pretty Albatross! I've heard great things about those Eduard biplanes, but have yet to tackle one. Is that the kit lozenge decals, or did you use aftermarket decals? Your rigging looks good too. What method/material did you use? Thanks for posting!

GIL :smiley16:

That's a pretty Albatross! I've heard great things about those Eduard biplanes, but have yet to tackle one. Is that the kit lozenge decals, or did you use aftermarket decals? Your rigging looks good too. What method/material did you use? Thanks for posting!

GIL :smiley16:

It's the weekend edition kit which means no PE and only decals for one version that did not include lozenge. So I had some Eduard 5-color decals for the top surface and some Aeromaster lozenge for the lower surfaces. I also used some Aeromaster ribbing tapes. Finally I had some wood grain decal also from Aeromaster that I cut to match the panel lines on the kit.

The rigging is 0.004" stainless steel wires cut to length and glued into place. I use a divider to measure the length I need and then use Testor's cement for clear parts to secure the ends. No holes anywhere just the small droplets to hold the ends in place. A little bit of flat black paint at each end gives the impression of turnbuckles. The stainless steel is nice because it doesn't sag under its own weight.

Glad you like it. The plastic goes together beautifully just like most Eduard kits. I saved the styrene cockpit from the Eduard kit to use in a Glencoe Albatros that I've got on the shelf since I had a PE set for this build.

I got the wire from my father in law back in 1980's. The manufacturing date on the wire spool is 1966. It's resistor wire for winding reostat coils and is 0.004" diameter and about 48 ohms per foot. I'm afraid I don't know where to get the wire now. Perhpas from Grainger?

Wow! that looks really cool. These kits are kind of fun. I avoided biplanes for years because of the top wing install and the rigging. The Flyboys Neuport 17 fixed that. It helped to have a great movie for inspration. Even my son wanted to built a DR1 (he always likes the bad guys,) as a result of that movie.