Mrs. TreadHead Rocks and Rules!!!!!!

Mark Aldrich

Came home and she had this for me. It was a B-17G! Not that I REALLY wanted it, but she said we could build our B-17s together...awe...how sweet! Anyway Brought back lots of nostalgia. I built this same kit as a wee lad. I thought the box felt heavy. We open it and there are three True Detail Sets and three Squadron Canopy sets inside. She won this off Ebay for $24.78! That is with the shipping!!!!!! OK....how good is true details????? Need to find some MGs and maybe metal struts.

100_3158.jpg

100_3159.jpg

Edited by Mark Aldrich

Trust me, ya don't need metal struts or MGs....just cut off the barrels and use wire to "pin" them back towards the end of the build. That's a HECK of a deal, any way ya look at it!

Oh by the way, she's a keeper! :smiley20:

GIL :smiley16:

Edited by ghodges

No, no, no Aldrich...I said I'd bring you a base for the P-40. You ain't gonna get one big enough for a B-17! At least not for free!

And do tell Mrs. Treadhead congratulations...she done good.

As for the True Details stuff, honestly, it's hit and miss these days. It's Squadron's house brand of resin sets for aircraft. They used to be great, and many of them were re-brands of molds Squadron had purchased, like KMC I believe. However, they went through a period where QC was iffy at best. I've heard they are getting better, but haven't seen anything cast recently.

Mike

All the details sound good. Might crack it open tomorrow and look over the parts. Mike, you are safe! This WILL NOT be coming to Florida. Maybe Colorado. If the interior is nice, I just might do a cutaway. Now to find the IsraDecals!

Edited by Mark Aldrich

Congrats, Mark she is a real gem in the ruff. My wife bought me my airbrush way back when we were still dating. Since being married, Nothing. I think the real score in that model box is the set of Shep Paine instructions on how to build a dio. for the B-17.

Chris

I agree....I don't know if this is an original release or a re-release! I can't remember if they included the Dio sheets in the re-releases.

I agree....I don't know if this is an original release or a re-release! I can't remember if they included the Dio sheets in the re-releases.

Mark,

- The box you're holder up in the pic IS a re-release from Revell (O-gram). Those nifty Shep Paine instructions came in the 70's issue of the Monogram B-17G and while I can't swear to it, they were not included in the Revell re-issue kit. Assuming the model you got there was not sealed in cello-wrap (and it wasn't a "re-seal") I imagine the ebay seller that Mrs. Treadhead got that kit from had scored the Shep sheet someplace else, and threw it in thinking he would one day use them to build that kit. Either way, you came outta this smellin like roses; Cool kit and a thoughtful wife that not only supports your habit, but now appears to be the primary "enabler"!

- And I completely agree with David, you'd better get started on that puppy, cause as soon as you turn your head, Mrs. Treadhead will be loading up the airbrush to paint hers. They're tricky that way, I speak from experience. :smiley20::smiley32::smiley16:

Edited by Weedeater

ROFLMAO!!!!! The Twin 17s and Her 25 are all sitting on the shelf! Not even worried abot it yet. I am however looking to purchase the IAF B-17 Decals from Squadron and getting a set of Diamond tread wheels for the Texan.

ROFLMAO!!!!! The Twin 17s and Her 25 are all sitting on the shelf! Not even worried abot it yet.

Famous last words!

Mike

I would almost lay money that by Orlando, those planes will still be where they are with a fine coating of dust on the top box!