For the Loach fans out there..

Wildcat

Michael - I very much enjoyed your Photo's from Vietnam. I as also a Army Warrant Officer and served in Vietnam for 18 months in 1969 and 70. I was with the 240th AHC at Bearcat and was a Huey UH-1 D/H Slick Aircraft Commander, call sign "Greyhound 10. I also did a short stint flying with the "Maddogs" as well as Lead and C&C. In Mid 70 I was sent to Qui Nhon on TDS and special training, I also spent a little time at Phu Cat. I was stationed at Fort Carson after Vietnam with the 283rd AHC. We trained to do Urban Combat Assualt's into Denver in case the Anti-War Peace Protesters decided to burn the city down? and yes we did understand the Irony! After getting Rif-ed out of Army in 1972 [ 4 months short of my 6 year requirement] I bounced around doing odd flying jobs and in 1973 got a job with the South Vietnamese Air Force as a contract pilot. I was in Soc Trang when all American Military units exept Macv and Embassy Guards left Vietnam! Boy do I have some strange stories that came out of that. Here is a photo of me at Bearcat that I call "Best Dressed Pilot". Dan King , Greyhound 10, Vtn 1969/70 and 73.

First off, a SALUTE to both of you guys for your much under-appreciated service! :smiley32: Second, nice pics! :smiley20: I could also add something about they way both of ya like to straddle yer guns :smiley3:.....but naaaah....

GIL :smiley16:

First off, a SALUTE to both of you guys for your much under-appreciated service! :smiley32: Second, nice pics! :smiley20: I could also add something about they way both of ya like to straddle yer guns :smiley3:.....but naaaah....

Thanks, Gil. Things sure have changed since the 80's & 90's when I didn't dare even mention that I was in 'Nam.

Michael

Michael - I very much enjoyed your Photo's from Vietnam. I as also a Army Warrant Officer and served in Vietnam for 18 months in 1969 and 70. I was with the 240th AHC at Bearcat and was a Huey UH-1 D/H Slick Aircraft Commander, call sign "Greyhound 10. I also did a short stint flying with the "Maddogs" as well as Lead and C&C. In Mid 70 I was sent to Qui Nhon on TDS and special training, I also spent a little time at Phu Cat. I was stationed at Fort Carson after Vietnam with the 283rd AHC. We trained to do Urban Combat Assualt's into Denver in case the Anti-War Peace Protesters decided to burn the city down? and yes we did understand the Irony! After getting Rif-ed out of Army in 1972 [ 4 months short of my 6 year requirement] I bounced around doing odd flying jobs and in 1973 got a job with the South Vietnamese Air Force as a contract pilot. I was in Soc Trang when all American Military units exept Macv and Embassy Guards left Vietnam! Boy do I have some strange stories that came out of that. Here is a photo of me at Bearcat that I call "Best Dressed Pilot". Dan King , Greyhound 10, Vtn 1969/70 and 73.

Welcome back. Sorry, can't view the picture for some reason.

Michael

Gentleman,

I really enjoyed reading and viewing this material. Web sites like this are preserving an important part of American military history. The outcome of the war in Vietnam had little to do with the detication and courage of men (like you) who were sent there to perform their duty. They (and you) did so in a manner worthy of the respect of all of us. I served in the Air Force with the 23rd Tactical Fighter Wing from 1981 to 1985 and finished up with a stint in the California Air National Guard. I was an electricain in the civil engineering squadron and never got the "the call," to put it on the line. Thank You both for your service and your willingness to share.

Chris

Gil - In regards to my Photo "Best Dressed Pilot" and how we "straddle yer guns". We straddled them like that because in a Huey we sat in Ceramic Armoured Seats tht protected us from the sides, back and bottom but not from the front. So we wore our Model 38 Liberty Speacial .38 caliber pistols as "Nut" protectors! We normally also attached "Pen flares" to the holster in case we had to E&E [Excape and Evade] as many did. We had 2 guys in our unit that did not think 38's were "Manly" enough so they had famely send them Colt 45's with holsters to use. They both wore them on same day that turned into 14 hour flying day with lots of rough weather flying, Combat Assualts under fire, the whole works. The next day both guys could barly walk! the weight of a fully loaded Colt 45 bouncing around on such a sensitive spot for 14 hours was too much to bare! Last time they ever used them. I did not fly Loach's so am not sure if they had Armoured seats or not? In any case the seats were also to tight to wear pistols on the side. Incedently all Army Helocopter Pilots admired the Bravery and Guts shone by Loach pilots in Vietnam, They were truly a Special breed of Lunitic that did stuff that Huey Pilots would never dream of doing! Dan King

Gil - In regards to my Photo "Best Dressed Pilot" and how we "straddle yer guns". We straddled them like that because in a Huey we sat in Ceramic Armoured Seats tht protected us from the sides, back and bottom but not from the front. So we wore our Model 38 Liberty Speacial .38 caliber pistols as "Nut" protectors! We normally also attached "Pen flares" to the holster in case we had to E&E [Excape and Evade] as many did. We had 2 guys in our unit that did not think 38's were "Manly" enough so they had famely send them Colt 45's with holsters to use. They both wore them on same day that turned into 14 hour flying day with lots of rough weather flying, Combat Assualts under fire, the whole works. The next day both guys could barly walk! the weight of a fully loaded Colt 45 bouncing around on such a sensitive spot for 14 hours was too much to bare! Last time they ever used them. I did not fly Loach's so am not sure if they had Armoured seats or not? In any case the seats were also to tight to wear pistols on the side. Incedently all Army Helocopter Pilots admired the Bravery and Guts shone by Loach pilots in Vietnam, They were truly a Special breed of Lunitic that did stuff that Huey Pilots would never dream of doing! Dan King

We flew with our .38's protecting the "guys" also. Our loaches had armored seats and we flew with chest armor.

The crew chiefs / door gunners were amazing. They flew for 2 hours sitting on a piece of armor plate with their legs out on the skids holding an M-60. All that held them in was a "chicken strap". A LOH was VERY maneuverable and these guys could still shoot and report what they were seeing. The sign of a good door gunner was if they would actually tell you they were getting sick so you could "cool it" for a bit. When we got back to base they then had to do maintenance on the "Skeeter".