Dragon announces a NEW Tiger I kit

RickC5

Here's a link:

http://www.dmlforum....read.php?t=1486

Looks like lots of new stuff, including one-piece tracks & a recoiling barrel.

Maybe by Christmas? Please, Santa?

Edited by RickC5

Oh YAY!!!!! ANOTHER TIger.........who says the Model industry isn't inovative? Oh wait......Maybe Dragon can do a "TIGER OF THE MONTH" club kit!!!!! Wouldn't that be NEAT and oh so wanted and needed!!!! In case you were wondering.....Yes, that is ALL sarcasm!!!!!

Edited by Mark Aldrich

There are probably more different 1/35 scale Tiger kits than there were real Tiger tanks. I see it as a revenue builder for manufacturers who can then use the profits to create kits that do not end up selling as well.

And I thought you guys would be blown over by the recoiling barrel. Maybe if it actually fired something?

Oh well--it IS just another Tiger, and one I don't need.

And I thought you guys would be blown over by the recoiling barrel. Maybe if it actually fired something?

Oh well--it IS just another Tiger, and one I don't need.

The recoilling barrel has been tried by other manufacturers and just ends up adding extra cost to a kit for a feature that is useless and not noticeable in a completed kit. AFV Club did it to their M10 series about 10 years ago, and before that, the old Peerless Max 155mm howitzer had a metal barrel and recoil springs.

Bottom line, it is a toy-like feature that most modelers would not want someone manhandling their kit just to see the barrel recoil.

Bingo, you got it right Rob.

Although the Tiger I is one of my favorite tanks, I have more than enough in my stash. So, a new Tiger kit doesn't "do much for me".

With that being said, if high sales of a new Tiger spurs on a manufacturer to produce other interesting releases, then another Tiger is perfectly fine with me.

I see it as a revenue builder for manufacturers who can then use the profits to create kits that do not end up selling as well.

Also, that was not a knock against Dragon! They are releasing two kits (soon I hope) that I AM really interested in. The new SAS Raider and a Bison II. SO if they get their revenue by relasing yet another Tiger, then I am still a happy camper! I just won't be buying a Tiger!

The thing is with this one is the missing zimmerit. They have already released a late Tiger with molded on zimmerit, they did the Wittmann death Tiger with molded on zimmerit then this without. I'm waiting for them to release the early model again.

The recoilling barrel has been tried by other manufacturers and just ends up adding extra cost to a kit for a feature that is useless and not noticeable in a completed kit. AFV Club did it to their M10 series about 10 years ago, and before that, the old Peerless Max 155mm howitzer had a metal barrel and recoil springs.

Bottom line, it is a toy-like feature that most modelers would not want someone manhandling their kit just to see the barrel recoil.

Really? I thought it was the neatest thing since sliced bread!

Wait, Rick--STOP--STOP! Rob didn't catch your sarcasm before, it's likely he won't now.

Sorry Rob, I WAS just kidding. I agree it adds cost to the kit without any benefit to the modelers building it. Just like articulating suspensions, IMHO.

Rick,

I agree with the suspension jab. Tasca and Dragon are BOTH guilty as charged!!!!!

Tamiya's Pershing from 2001 and AFV Club's M10 from around the same timeframe both had articulating suspension as well. Not normally a good feature unless the builder plans on some sort of over terrain diorama.

Articulating suspension goes way, way back to the Renwal M41 Walker Bulldog and M42 Duster. As a kid, those Renwal kits were all the rage. Opening hatches, movable suspension, opening engine compartments, great stuff.

I still welcome all the new Tigers, especially when they will probably make all the previous Tigers "obsolete." All the guys with the previous kits (still unbuilt of course) will begin to dump their kits on eBay and buy/sell forums in anticipation of the new kit. That means better deals for someone who thinks the old kit is "good enough" for them.

I've already seen another modeler start selling panzer related items to make room for the new kit. http://www.network54.com/Forum/47214/thread/1314222467/1-35+Panzers+with+detailing+sets+for+sale