Fall of Petersburg

Kjundude1

This vignette is titled "Fall of Petersburg" and is the 37th North Carolina on April 2, 1865. The figures are from Shenandoah and are 54MM. All painted with Vallejo acrylics. Comments always welcome.

IMG_1584.jpg

IMG_1585.jpg

IMG_1587.jpg

IMG_1588.jpg

IMG_1589.jpg

IMG_1590.jpg

IMG_1591.jpg

Chris,

Very nice vignette...

I followed the thread on Timelines and read that you stated that this was your first vignette.

You're off to a great start... looking forward to the next one.

Hey Chris,

I think it looks really nice. You know I'm not much of a figure guy, so take this with a grain of salt. One thing did pop out to me, and that is that every thing looks too clean. I first noticed it on the flag, which in many of the pictures looks pretty stark white. Then I took a closer look at the figures and it seems like all the clothes are pretty clean, as are the faces. It just seems like everything should be a bit grubbier.

Like I said, I'm not a figure guy, so take that with a grain of salt, but otherwise, I really like it!

Mike

I really like the shadowed creases in the pants and in the jackets the men are wearing. This is a great little scene and well done!

Thank you Gentlemen.

Mike, the flag has been weathered, but I think that the starkness is more of a result of the contrast between the white and blue background. On the weathering of the figures, you are spot on. I definately need something to tie the groundwork to the figures. I just don't want to go overboard.

Chris Fontenot

Nice vignette Chris! I am inspired to dig into a few figures that I put on the back burner...

As an aside, one of my best friend's great-great grandfather was a North Carolinian that survived Pickett's Charge but was killed at Petersburg. Always moved by this era.

Nice vignette Chris! I am inspired to dig into a few figures that I put on the back burner...

As an aside, one of my best friend's great-great grandfather was a North Carolinian that survived Pickett's Charge but was killed at Petersburg. Always moved by this era.

Thanks Rob.

• 1 month later...

First effort? Ya done yourself proud Chris! I too will "ditto" the comments on the cleanliness of the scene. What's missing (to my eye) is the "rabble" quality of the rebels this late in the war (old tattered uniforms, less consistency in appearance, no shoes, etc.), which would also (IMO) apply to the battle flag. With all of the campaigns listed on it, it would probably be a bit more tattered too. The scene depicts the action very well and the figures are extremely well painted. What's needed are subtle touches that convey the desperate circumstances of the South at Petersburg. Great job!

GIL :smiley16:

Edited by ghodges

Thank you gentlemen for the kind words.

Gil, I totally agree with what you and Mike have said and plan to incorperate that into my next civil war vignette. I did add some pigments since the photos, but not enough.

David, the figures are nice for the price. In these days of out of sight figure prices, you can still get these for about $20 each. In the vignette, I changed out the heads on most. They are metal, so they are difficult to modify and make them look good.

Thanks again gentlemen.

Chris Fontenot