Hobbycraft 1/48 P-40

Mark Aldrich

Okay all you "things with wings" builders. I have the above kit "AVG" Tiger Shark. I would appreciate any comments if you have built it! Is it OK, is there a better 1/48 version? OOTB can it be built into a nice representation of the real thing? Any and all comments would be greatly appreciated! Also, what is the difference between a P-40 and a P-40 B/C? The cockpit aftermarket set I have seen make the B/C VERY BUSY compared to what is included in the kit. However, it says it is only for the Hasegawa?Academy kit.

Edited by Mark Aldrich

Okay all you "things with wings" builders. I have the above kit "AVG" Tiger Shark. I would appreciate any comments if you have built it! Is it OK, is there a better 1/48 version? OOTB can it be built into a nice representation of the real thing? Any and all comments would be greatly appreciated! Also, what is the difference between a P-40 and a P-40 B/C? The cockpit aftermarket set I have seen make the B/C VERY BUSY compared to what is included in the kit. However, it says it is only for the Hasegawa?Academy kit.

Mark,

Don't know if this will help you, but here is a link for a review.

http://www.cybermodeler.com/hobby/kits/aca/kit_aca_2182.shtml

Mike

Mike,

Thanks for the link. It seems that there is only two original P-40s on the Market. The old Monogram kit and the Hobbycraft kit. It appears that these have been used around the other manufacturers or so I am believing.

Mark,

- FWIW, any reference to a 1/48 Hasegawa P-40 is not a P-40 B or C. Hasegawa kits a P-40E and an N. Their airframes and cockpits are very similar to each other, but are not similar to a B/C's airframe and cockpit. If your detail set only notes that it is for a "P-40" and does not specify a "P-40B or C" or a "P-40E or N" then you should approach with caution and verification before you stick it into the Hobbycraft kit.

- Also FWIW, the Hobbycraft kit was re-issued by Academy, and they are one and the same kit. Annnnddd, Trumpeter issued a P-40B/C kit too. Six of one and a 1/2 dozen of another as to which one would be a better starting point, but not by much, so you're OK with what ya got so far.

Edited by Weedeater

Ken,

I have found a Legends interior for a P-40B/C and two different exhaust sets that state they are for a B/C and are completely different looking...

Cockpit

Exhaust1

Exhasut2

Ken,

I have found a Legends interior for a P-40B/C and two different exhaust sets that state they are for a B/C and are completely different looking...

- Not sure what you are referring to as different, the cockpit set you already have and the Legends set? I compared the Legends set to photos in the Detail & Scale Part #1, Vol 61 (Yes D & S on the P-40 has 2 parts) and it looks about as accurate as you can get (unless you're a "purist", then it will never be accurate, LOL). I suspect that the cockpit set you have is for an E/N.

- The two pipe sets look good, but are different interpretations of the same thing. Again, there's that purist, never good enough view, but IMHO, I'd use either.

- Also, as a side note, the P-40B/C is, in essense, an "in-lined engined" P-36A/C. So, from the firewall back, most all detail sets can be applied to both the P-36A/C and the P-40B/C, like photo-etched flap details, or wing and/or landing gear details, etc. (I here the purists coming, teeheee).

Edited by Weedeater

Ken,

I mean I have found them. There is actually a few more cockpits sets from what I have read. The Exhaust look great. I even found one that looks like those on the Avia. All look great to me.