South Dakota Air & Space Museum

Looks like they have grown a bit since the last time I went through which would have been late 90s or early 2000s.

Don't see the scale B-2 anymore? Think it was a quarter scale or half scale test bird that they had on display where the B-1 is now. Came across a couple pics when we were looking for stuff for Mike's service. Might have to try and scan them in.

We stopped here on a trip 2 years ago....Nice selection of A/C, BUT, many of there were in horrible states of disrepair, quite a shame really. The stuff inside was OK, but the models I saw in the showcases were in really bad shape. Plenty of other sites in the area(Rushmore, Devil's Tower, Deadwood, Custer Park, Badlands, Black Hills, Missle Silo tours), but I wouldn't make a special trip just to see the museum.

Edited by Lumpulus

We did Rushmore, Crazy Horse, the Cozmos and Dinosaur park. Really muggy this Morning! Got rain last night!

Lots of good things happening at this museum - !

Some of the aircraft were getting kinda rough, so several are getting thoroughly refurbished every year. This trend started with the C-54 (which flew the Berlin Airlift in Navy colors), the UH-1F, C-47, etc. Current work underway on the Minuteman-II ICBM; the B-52 is almost finished. Brand new indoor exhibit this summer is the very first production HOUND DOG missile, restored by the 28th MX Group sheet metal folks - what a monster. Next up (I think) is the Douglas A-26K, which will get a SEA paint job. Also expect to see a lunar sample/exhibit here (!) in the next year or so, among others.

That "B-2" was actually a TV ad prop, used by Honda for the CRX ad campaign:

and later donated to the museum. It gradually deteriorated in the weather and there is now a mighty BONE, front and center, in its place.

Admission to the museum is free. Big Air Force helps a little, but you can help a lot: To help restore these rare planes and see the new exhibits happen, please do contribute to the Ellsworth Heritage Foundation: http://www.sdairandspacemuseum.com/index.htm ...and buy stuff at the gift shop...they have models... :)