ITC T-92

Ron Bell

This subject popped up in another thread and I thought I'd share my effort on it. This was the non-motorized release and I believe is in 1/24th scale. It's a toy-like kit, so it took a lot of work. Complete re-working of the suspension as it was molded into the hull sides, re-built the rear plate and ladders, opened up all episcopes and filled them with epoxy, drilled out lights and added MV lenses and metal guards, drilled out all guns, made new stowage for rear and tow cable, added canvas covers on the guns, added lifting rings and lenses to the periscopes and sights, re-did the ventilator cover on the hull, opened up the exhaust on the hull side and a bunch of other little stuff.

DSCN2088.jpg

DSCN2089.jpg

DSCN2090.jpg

DSCN2091.jpg

DSCN2092.jpg

P.S. I thought I had already posted this, but I couldn't find it. If this is a duplicate, feel free to delete it, moderator.

I took photos of the one on display at APG back around 2002 or so. They had replaced the sectional band track with M24 Chaffee track (the rubber chevron style, not the WW2 metal type). I've got a couple of the ITC Ringo kits in 1/24 scale and the Tamiya and Hawk boxings of it in 1/50 scale.

Mark, it was to be the replacement for the M41 Walker Bulldog and used in the airdrop role, but when the Soviets debuted the amphibious PT-76 tank, the US went back to the drawing board to create a new amphibious airdroppable tank. That resulted in the M551 Sheridan.

The best coverage of the vehicle is actually in the Hunnicut book on the Stuart. At the end, it looks into the light tanks that followed it. That's where I found out that the kit tracks are not all that bad as I, too, had taken photos of the one at Aberdeen.

omg..amazing...may I ask?...what/how did you do the canvas??

I wanna add some to this 251708_10150199110767537_515062536_6085215_7173422_n.jpg

The best coverage of the vehicle is actually in the Hunnicut book on the Stuart. At the end, it looks into the light tanks that followed it. That's where I found out that the kit tracks are not all that bad as I, too, had taken photos of the one at Aberdeen.

The canvas parts are single ply tissue. Take a tissue and separate the layers until you have only a single thickness, then cut pieces roughly to shape and dry fit them over where they go. Then dilute some white glue with water at about 5 or more parts water to one of glue, about the consistency of whole milk and dip a medium paint brush in it and just touch it to the "canvass". It will wick into the paper and the paper will settle down around where you want it. Do this until you've got the whole part damp. You can push the edges around to get the proper shape where they meet the rest of the kit. I used masking tape are the attaching parts and pushed the tissue up to the tape. Let it dry. Then put on a light coat of the white glue, but this time undiluted. It will seal the paper while leaving the texture but make the canvass more rigid. After that is dry, paint as desired. If, along the way, you get tears (as in torn, not crying) or run short somewhere, just pull/tear off a piece of tissue of the right size and place it over the shortage/hole. Use the white glue solution to hold it in place and you can feather in the torn edges. Don't cut it as the sharp edges will show. It will blend right in.

Thanks, I've read British articles calling for Cartridge paper or tissue paper, but never thought of using plain ol kleenex. I keep diluted white glue on hand for sealing foam edges for spray-priming my terrain.

The canvas parts are single ply tissue. Take a tissue and separate the layers until you have only a single thickness, then cut pieces roughly to shape and dry fit them over where they go. Then dilute some white glue with water at about 5 or more parts water to one of glue, about the consistency of whole milk and dip a medium paint brush in it and just touch it to the "canvass". It will wick into the paper and the paper will settle down around where you want it. Do this until you've got the whole part damp. You can push the edges around to get the proper shape where they meet the rest of the kit. I used masking tape are the attaching parts and pushed the tissue up to the tape. Let it dry. Then put on a light coat of the white glue, but this time undiluted. It will seal the paper while leaving the texture but make the canvass more rigid. After that is dry, paint as desired. If, along the way, you get tears (as in torn, not crying) or run short somewhere, just pull/tear off a piece of tissue of the right size and place it over the shortage/hole. Use the white glue solution to hold it in place and you can feather in the torn edges. Don't cut it as the sharp edges will show. It will blend right in.