Scratchbuilt 1/72 European Village

dsteingass

I built these for my Uncle, previous to the 1/72 Stalingrad ruins for use with the Flying Lead rules (amongst others) IMG00904-20110206-1654.jpg

IMG00905-20110206-1655.jpg

here is the album link with all the WIP shots

http://s8.photobucket.com/albums/a13/dsteingass/1%2072%20Scratchbuilt%20Buildings/

the corner house was modelled completely by looking at pictures from a German Language site (of which I cant seem to find anymore) where the artist created it in 28mm as a House From Bree for Lord of the Rings

When building gaming terrain, it becomes more than just a diorama, it becomes functional. It blocks line of sight, it provides cover, it provides a place to set a sniper miniature above the battlefield. I have to trade-off form for function., realism for playablity. These buildings are not much more than objectives or line of sight blockers really, but they definately set the place for a battle, even if the time is somewhat flexible (6th century-modern era, as half-timbered houses are still commonly seen).

A properly painted and terrained battlefield makes fighting with painted toy-soldiers into a dynamic diorama really.

When building gaming terrain, it becomes more than just a diorama, it becomes functional. It blocks line of sight, it provides cover, it provides a place to set a sniper miniature above the battlefield. I have to trade-off form for function., realism for playablity. These buildings are not much more than objectives or line of sight blockers really, but they definately set the place for a battle, even if the time is somewhat flexible (6th century-modern era, as half-timbered houses are still commonly seen).

A properly painted and terrained battlefield makes fighting with painted toy-soldiers into a dynamic diorama really.

I know what you mean. I've seen and participated in building up many a wargame table with some miniature buildings and such. There have been some incredible dynamic dioramas in my day at St. Crispin's Hobby Days!

Beautiful job on those buildings; I really love them!